Heatsink clips not always the best...

Random happening at work: a coworker was using a power supply, and noticed it made a jingling sound when moved. Huh. Turns out all the heatsink clips had either fractured and fallen off, or were cracked through and just floating there.

They appear to be galvanized steel, and I suppose succumbed to stress-corrosion cracking, or something like that.

Protip: make sure your clips are good quality material, preferably stainless steel (they often are!). Avoid using galvanized steel, it would seem.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Clips? What kind?

 Click to see the full signature

Hmmm, stainless conducts heat rather poorly, maybe not so good a choice for heatsink material? bill

Reply to
Bill Martin

Steel has higher thermal _capacity_. Realized that some 47 years ago while designing a regulator for the TOW missile. Survival over time was the important criteria... I had no time to convey the heat away, so I switched to a steel TO-3 to simply "suck up" the heat ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Den tirsdag den 14. marts 2017 kl. 00.15.08 UTC+1 skrev Jim Thompson:

steel is about half the heat capacity of aluminum per weight, and steel weight roughly 3 x aluminium, so ~50% more capacity for the same volume

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I didn't remember the actual numbers. I do remember that I simply ran time-of-flight tests. I did have the advantage, that, at that time, I was running the hybrid facility at Dickson Electronics, in Scottsdale, AZ, so I could have prototypes in hours. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

The volumetric heat capacity of most (solid) things, (near room temp) is very similar (~3 J/(cc*K) (within a factor of 2.) Since heat capacity is mostly counting atoms..it says that inter atomic spacing is about the same. Inter atomic spacing is mostly about where the (outer) electrons start bumping into each, (Pauli exclusion principle) electrons rule our world. (sorry too many Genny's* tonight.) George H.

*Genesee Beer, local swill.
Reply to
George Herold

Is it counting atoms or molecules? When I was researching high heat capacity substances I found that parafins were unusually high, off the scale relatively speaking. I can only think it was because the molecules are long.

Was that the Pat Pauli-exclusion principle? I think he ran for president a lot.

Too little sleep last night...

--

Rick C
Reply to

Hmm this list the volumetric heat capacity of parafin as 2.3xx

The molar heat capacity is off the charts! that's weird.. perhaps a liquid-solid phase transition? (A room temperature effect?)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Duh, no.. a mole of parafin has a lot of atoms! GH

Reply to
George Herold

No phase transition. The molar heat capacity is counting molecules rather than atoms or weight. C25H52 is a long chain alkane (same thing as a paraffin) with about 25 times the mass of methane.

Depending on the size of the molecule alkanes can melt at room temperature which gives you about a 10x increase of heat capacity at that temperature. The typical mixture in coconut oil solidifies between

it can be used to store heat in a living environment. Because coconut oil is a mixture the melting point is not sharp and gives a range.

--

Rick C
Reply to

That doesn't sound like a fault common to steel, nor induced by galvanizing. Probably it's a heat-treatment flaw, and stainless would be worse (400 series stainless heat treatment is possible, but the springs won't have the compliance you get with steel). Bronze would be good, though, it work-hardens, so if it's stamped right, it's springy and won't corrode.

Reply to
whit3rd

Yeah, not entirely sure about the cause, just speculating.

Didn't seem to be anything remarkable about them. Similar to this kind,

but the lip on the larger bend is going the wrong direction (where the Aavid parts clip into a notch above the device, these were hooked around the top of the heatsink). They also had a stiffening rib embossed into the bend.

All the clips I see, seem to be stainless (perhaps 304, work hardened, avoiding the problems with 400 series?). I wonder if they know something.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

The clippy kind of clip...

Kinda like this, but the lip went the other way, to hook around the heatsink, rather than wedge into a notch:

That kind of clippy clip!

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

Nononononono! Clip to clamp device to heatsink.

Like this kind. No screw, just shove it in there and it stays (well, until the metal fatigues itself to bits, in this case).

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature