Heathkit, Clock

I see they now have a 7-segment Clock kit availble.

BTW, my first kit was one of those Mostek IC clocks in the 70's. Lasted well into the early 90's

Martin Riddle

"Will your alarm clock wake you up tomorrow if the power fails in the middle of the night?"

Well, my alarm clock has no connection to the mains power so I don't think I will have to worry about that.

It is probably also more accurate, because it synchronizes to a long wave time transmitter every hour. So I don't have to worry about it being on-time.

It does not have a wooden case, but then it also cost less than $25.

Reply to
Rob

ill the Heath unit wake you up if power is STILL OUT when the alarm time comes around?

Ditto. And, *two* independant alarms (which can be set to weekday and/or weekend -- or "his" and "hers")

I've got a little one, like that, but I can't read the display (in the dark) without glasses -- which I seldom wear to bed! :>

Mine came out of a scrap pile... I *did* have to provide the batteries, though!

When I was young, I made a "digital clock" (one of the MSI devices with a modified display interface) that illuminated 18" flourescent tubes (used to make the segments of the 7-segment displays :> )

While "interesting", it didn't prove to be very practical (display was roughly the size of a sheet of plywood).

I've another that displays the time using individual LED's arranged in Braille cells (think about it :> )

Another is just a telephone station set (500 series, dial) that announces the time when you lift the handset (ringer used as an alarm -- no one sleeps through a ringing telephone!)

I've also got a "sundial" that is marked like a regular clock face that works 24/7/365. I designed it as a hack for an astronomer friend. He was absolutely adamant that "THAT can't possibly work!" despite the fact that it most apparently *did*! Took him a LONG time to figure out why/how :>

[I need to convince an artist friend to make me a fancier version out of ceramic so I can leave it outdoors without fear of damage.]

Did I mention that I like clocks? :>

Reply to
Don Y

I wake up with the sun, currently about 6AM ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

I go to *bed* with the sun...

Reply to
Don Y

Mine has quite large digits and backlighting that comes on when I tap the snooze button on the top.

When I was still in highschool, I built many gadgets myself and one of them was an alarm clock similar to the heathkit one. I would not really call it homebrewing because I used an alarm clock module from Radio Shack, a circuitboard with displays and some MSI chip on it.

I constructed a nice enclosure using perspex and chloroform, as I always did then. However, of course that one relied on mains power. It still is in some junkbox, will probably work when I plug it in.

Reply to
Rob

I have a life beyond electronics and PC's ;-) ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

Mine does.

Ditto.

A little more circuitous route but sure, that too.

Mine's all plastic but it was free with my smart phone. ...and it goes with me everywhere.

Reply to
krw

Some things are best done under cover of darkness.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

My first clock was a nixie tube that I designed as an apprentice at the RAE Farnborough back in 1978. Worth a fortune now. :)

TTman