heat sink for video camera in vacuum

I know this is a bit off-topic for this group, but I thought somebody might have faced this problem before. We need to put a low-light level video camera in a vacuum chamber to detect the image on a phosphor screen when the accelerator technician is tuning the beam at a particle accelerator lab. In the past, they have used "bullet cameras" for this and considered they were expendable. if left on more than 10 minutes, poof! I wanted to see if we could make the camera survive longer. It is 19mm in diameter and about 40mm long, in an aluminum anodized housing. The power dissipation is 792 mW (66 mA at 12 V DC.)

After a bit of brainstorming, we came up with the idea of a copper sheet with a semicircular trough to match the camera's diameter, and a clamp to press the camera into the trough. We have some Bergquist material here (GapPad) that we use to conduct heat from chips to cold plates that we would put between the camera and copper sheet to aid conduction.

But, I have NO IDEA how to figure where it will reach thermal eqilibrium depending on size of the sheet. The chamber is maybe

10 m^3, aluminum, and at room temperature. We have water cooling of other systems in the chamber, but the camera will be far from that equipment, and the less water lines we run, the better. So, if a reasonable sized piece of copper sheet will do, plain radiation would be the easiest way to go. So, if we had two "wings" of, say, 100 cm^2 each, that gives 400 cm^2 of radiating surface (both sides of both wings). Anybody know where tables of radiated power vs. temperature difference can be found? (Right, you already KNOW I'm not a physicist, now.)

I think the camera can safely be allowed to self-heat to 35 - 40 C case temperature.

Thanks in advance for any tips or past experience!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Take the case off. Stick it in the vacuum. Point an infrared imager at it. I expect you're gonna find that convection within the case plays a significant role. If the heat can't get from whatever's melting to the case, it doesn't matter what you hook the case to.

Reply to
mike

Fortunately I am :-p

P = E * A * sigma * T^4

P = power E = emissivity A = area sigma = 5.67 x 10^-8 W m^-2 K^-4 (Stefan-Boltzmann constant)

Note that power transfer is due to the difference in radiated powers, and radiated power depends on absolute temperature (for a small difference in temperature dT, the radiative conductivity of space goes as 4 T^3 dT, so plasma on the Sun is a ridiculously better conductor than radiation at room temperature!).

Of course, A is hard to evaluate. Easy for a sphere, because if the material is lambertian and black (E = 1), all points on the surface are exposed to their surroundings for 2pi stearidans (i.e., if you were very short and stood on the surface, you would get a full hemispheric view). A complicated structure, like a finned heatsink, has a lot of surface area, but little of that surface can "see" the outside. As far as I know, practical /radiators/ (per se) are build with short, widely spaced fins, so there's a lot of surface area without impacting the overall view from any given point. I suppose this is effectively just a "macroscopic matte" finish.

Anyway, supposing your chamber is black (it's not, but the radiation has to bounce around and be absorbed somewhere, and statistically, few of those absorption locations will be the device itself), your 400 cm^2 =

0.04 m^2 fins at 340 K could dissipate about....30W. Meanwhile, the chamber would deposit about 18W back in, for a total of 11.6W leaving, or a resistance of about 3.4 K/W.

Tim

Tim Williams

Since there is no medium for heat transfer you need to radiate the heat and the case needs to absorb that energy. So you need a heat transmitter and a heat receiver.

Maybe start here to work out the details:

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Copper has low emissivity; it's practically a mirror at thermal wavelengths. Paint would help but would probally trash your vacuum. Anodized aluminum would be better, or some chemical treatment of the copper to make it rough and black at IR. Or plaster it with kapton tape, which is almost black in the IR band.

Copperclad FR4, visible:

and with a piece of kapton tape, IR:

The Bergquist stuff may do more harm than good - thick, lousy thermal conductor

- and will also outgass. Epoxy or grease would be a better filler; it would squish to zero thickness where the surfaces contact, and fill the places where they don't.

A machined collar would be a better contact than a bent sheet.

Cooling the cam housing may not be enough, if the internal components heat up.

There are online radiation calculators... somewhere.

What holds the cam in space? Can you beef that up? Conduction to the structure would be better than radiation.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Maybe pack the insides in vacuum grease and mount it on a copper rod?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Thanks! Your calculations confirm what I roughed out with an online calculator. I planned a plate with two "wings" and the camera between. I think this is going to work, assuming the camera has a decent thermal path to its own case.

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Thanks, I will see if I can get them to make it out of aluminum, then.

We already use it in vacuum, it doesn't cause much trouble by outgassing. I did a test some years ago, clamping two flat surfaces with pressure and cooling one, measuring the temperature of the other. It took 20+ minutes to cool the other plate when dry. Put a dot of thermal conductive grease between them, and the other plate cooled in seconds! So, clamping two things together dry conducts heat VERRRRY poorly.

We'd like to be able to open up the chamber and point the camera as needed with a simple mount that won't provide much heat conductivity. A solid path to the chamber wall would obviously be the best for the thermal problem, though. If this doesn't work, then we may have to come up with either a conductive mount system or an extension of the liquid cooling system already in the chamber.

Thanks everybody for the helpful info!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Perhaps see if the components that get hot could be thermally bonded to the case?

Reply to
Dennis

Oh, I found this...

It's an old PowerBasic DOS program from 2002, but works under XP.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Anybody think of leaving the camera outside where it was designed to operate, and pointing it thru a window to see inside? Alternately, do that using a PMT.

Reply to
Robert Baer

structure

I think that apeshit is poor on thermal conductivity.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Isn't this rocket science so to speak? What do they do in space?

Maybe a bath of fluorinert and some phase change scheme to convert the thermal energy to kinetic. Or maybe a vat of the fluorinert and just heat up the mass. This is a problem I never had to solve.

Reply to
miso

It is the surface finish of the housing that is making it difficult for the object to radiate heat away. Do it with anodized black or any black paint that is acceptable in your vacuum environment and you should get to radiate about 20-40x more heat away than with metallic aluminium.

Anodized to black might be OK (or even dry marker pen for a quick and dirty test provided you don't want ultra hard vacuum).

I once put an early linear regulator into a 6" aluminium cube box and expected it to act as a heatsink. The thing went into foldback mode for overheating within the hour and was far too hot to touch. A coat of black paint and all was well with the world.

One problem may be if there are individual components inside that are getting hot but the first thing to sort out is the fact that your "radiative cooling" is optimised for trapping heat!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Jon Elson schrieb:

Hello,

when the camera case is filled with air at normal pressure, there is a decent thermal path. If you remove all the air, the thermal path is reduced. What about an air tight case filled with helium?

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

structure

Sure, but excellent compared to a vacuum, and a dielectric, but the increased capacitance* might cause problems. Since the units are cheap, and most of the high frequency stuff is going to be on-chip anyway, it might be worth a try, at least putting it in contact with ground planes.

  • dielectric constant of Apiezon W vacuum wax is around 2.6. Thermal conductivity is 0.189 W/m-K, comparable to unfilled RTV silicone.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Helium is difficult to contain, and will leak out of things that are merely airtight.

The camera case is unlikely to be designed to support any significant pressure differential.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Very good!

I would wonder if it is a problem at all (not the pressure, the need to remove heat). The camera battery would likely empty before the heat rise would cause a problem. Oh, and what about the battery under a vacuum? Forget the camera.

I mean... unless it is an IR camera. Then, you need one with a chilling chamber and sinking of the imaging element.

You could do a cheap man's version with an aluminum 'tank/sink'and put chilled fluorinert or such in it.

Reply to
SoothSayer

Sylvia Else schrieb:

Hello,

I know, we may use nitrogen or a gas with good thermal conductivity and large molecules.

Small cases are very stable for an internal pressure, for large cases you need much more case wall thickness.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Don't hold your breath. We had 'low' power amplifier chips UNSOLDER themselves right off their mounting tabs in 10-6 torr.

Reply to
Robert Macy