Hearing Better

In this OP you are going to see much hypothesization, don't read it if you don't want to.

A year ago give or take my hearing was so bad you might as well email me, I mean from two rooms away. When I listened to my stereo when the rest of them left at a certain dB the sound came clear. It was as if my ears opened up.

Well now tonight at 4:00 AM it was very low. I could understand the words and hear the timbre, like the cymbals n shit.

And eyesight. Still some days are better than others. I have had both done for cataracts ans they were corrected well. I was nearsighted all my life but now I have 20/20 at distance. I need readers, who around is 59 and doesn't ?

Still though, there are days I can't hear so good and others I can. There are also days when I don't see so good and others I can.

I got some weak readers, 1.00s and wear them out and about. Going out walking I can see a quarter mile with them on, and other times, more in the past it was blurry past like 15 feet. I got 3.00s for working on stuff close up.

Now it gets thick. Remember most is supposition or hypotheses.

Hearing and seeing are instrumental to our survival.

Now quick at eyesight, they can do wonders with the mechanics of the eye, but they cannot make you a new retina. I really would like to know which minerals feed them.

Now hearing, they can do wonders with the little bones in there. This quite renowned Dr. Stoller built my friend's ear out of stuff he cut out of his leg. But back then there were no cochlear implants.

Anyway, there is not so much easy problems with the bones and eardrum, and if so you know it. Back then your natural cochlea was the only option.

I say that the cochlea being the crux of the matter it what needs to be addressed. First of all I believe that as we age those hairs break off. I believe that if we have a god diet and are well nourished we will grow new hairs in there.

HOWEVER, the old dead hairs are floating around in there. That has to impair hearing. And I am fairly sure there is no practical way to remove that.

So I can see and hear well one day and not the next.

Hmmm, I never thought about if they correlated...

Tear it up.

Reply to
jurb6006

Not me. I had the cataract fix and elected to have one eye focus at

10" and the other about 24". So I can read and compute and solder without glasses. I use glasses when I drive.
Reply to
jlarkin

Brains are pretty good at making a clear image from whatever comes in from both eyes. Things look sharp to me if only one eye is in focus.

You can always get reading or computing or driving glasses, so having two eyes at different fixed-focus points does no harm.

Don't you get a headache with eyes set at different focal lengths?

I never get headaches but one afternoon working at my PC felt different. When I reached up to take my glasses off I discovered that the lens had fallen out on the right side. I am left eye dominant so didn't notice at all except for the slowly developing headache. Careful searching on the floor found the missing lens unharmed and I refitted it into the frame.

You can live fine with one good eye and one badly blurred one but you lose any sense of depth and 3D movies are a complete waste of time.

I found it most unpleasant after just a couple of hours working. I prefer to have glasses for close working, TV distances and driving. My corrected vision is something like 40/20 so I am very sensitive to anything that isn't tack sharp. Left eye is noticeably better.

As a youngster I could on a good night split epsilon Lyra naked eye which is a 3' arc equal double star. Easy with any optical aid.

My optician would prefer me to have varifocals.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

No. But I don't get headaches.

My depth perception still works. As noted, brains do a good job with available data.

Maybe because they are expensive.

Opticians usually write bad prescriptions for me, stuff that I can't stand to use. I got a trial lens set, make up my own prescriptions, and buy glasses from Zenni.

Floaters are inhomogenities in the vitreous body, and large floaters (as in my case) are often the result of posterior vitreous detachment. Did they remove the vitreous body?

My eyes are quite different (L -4, R -7.5) and I probably got glasses way too late, so the brain was trained early on to look at near things with the right eye, and to use the left for things farther away.

With 45 or so I tried glasses with progressive lenses for two months and hated them, then I got glasses that had the focal point at infinity for the left and to about 60 cm for the right eye. This works very well for me, except that now, with 62, the ability to accomodation got worse and I have reading glasses, too.

This is called "monovision" in the trade, and it works well for some, and not at all for others -- they get a headache. For people of the first type, it works with glasses, contact lenses, and intraocular lenses. A 40-year-old coworker with slight presbyopia has his eyes lasered like this.

Does anyone have multifocal intraocular lenses ?

- Andi

Reply to
Andreas Karrer

I had a vitrectomy in one eye, surgery for a serious retinal detatch. They slurped out the vitreus humor and pumped my eyeball full of pressurized Freon, and my body gradually refilled it with, basically, saline; different refractive index. Some laser spot welding keeps the retina attached now. It was really strange for about a month. The old big floaters disappeared, except for a few really tiny dots.

It's amazing that they can fix stuff like this.

Reply to
jlarkin

m both eyes. Things look sharp to me if only one eye >is in focus.

Brains are good at that. Humans have very poor eyes but our brains have mor e processing power. Aware of it or not your brain is building an image of y our surroundings piece by piece as the eye pans around. Even if you were to be fixated on the TV, when someone walks in the room you shift your gaze a nd the brain has a little bit more information.

I don't know if I can find the article again and I don't feel like tying ri ght now. You can think up a search string.

Reply to
jurb6006

I don't either but I did come close after a couple of hours of working with one eye +2 dioptres off the mark.

Depends how out of focus it is, but yes the brain is quite Bayesian about making optimum use of the data that it has. Something which can be exploited by optical illusions and classic blind spot tricks.

Probably although he knows me quite well and my hobby of astronomy.

Mine is quite amenable to being helpful and accurate. I can tell pretty well if he has the prescription right since I expect to be able to read two rows further down his test chart beyond average human vision.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

That's optimizing resolution for each eye while staring straight ahead. That's what they like to do.

Mine don't understand that I use both eyes simultaneously, and move around now and then. They make exquisitely precise corrections for my focal length and astigmatism, and create glasses that twist the world around if I dare move my head. I do spherical-only lenses, no cylinder component, and they work fine. Most of the time, I don't wear glasses, so I'm adapted to my astigmatism; leave it alone.

I've found glasses-fitting advice online, from the 1880's, that say to go easy with the astigmatism correction.

Reply to
jlarkin

That is pretty much what I want though. I do use peripheral vision a lot and deliberately but my glasses are not used with a telescope. Interestingly as my eyes fully dark adapt they become closer to a neutral prescription and I can see more stars without my glasses.

I only have a tiny amount of astigmatism so my glasses are essentially pure spherical lenses. I think the worst is 0.25 diopter cyl.

That was probably more to do with cost benefit when lenses were so much harder to figure and polish. These days machine made spectacle lenses to any formulation are mass produced by CNC type machines.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

er

se

Not really true. If you are blind in one eye, your depth perception goes a way, but even a small amount of sight in one eye still enables 3D vision. The eyes only need to see enough for them to track the objects in view to g enerate 3D vision.

I know, one eye is not even 20/100. The other eye is/was pretty much 20/20 all my life so I never needed to wear glasses to see while they were requi red to drive. Once a cop stopped me and didn't believe I was wearing conta cts (I wasn't). He told me to look to the side so he could see them. I di d and he couldn't tell. Maybe he wasn't wearing his contacts!

lol

I still enjoy 3D movies with or without glasses.

le-star

I tried them once. They were the worst glasses ever. There was a spot on the lens about the size of a pencil eraser where things were in focus, the position of which depended on the distance to what you were looking at. I would have to move my head around to find the right spot roaming up and dow n, side to side. I guess my strong astigmatism (4.5 diopters) might explai n why they work poorly for me and well for others. The glasses I had as a kid if held at arms length would rotate an object twice as fast as the glas ses were rotated. I never figured out why that was.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

I've told this before, I have Amblyopia, wore glasses from 5 to 10 years old to correct*. Several years ago I went in for a drivers test, during the vision test I read the right eye, then when I wen to the left eye, I said nothing there, she said oh, there's something there! I closed my right I end saw and read off the letters. Not sure quite what happened, I'll know what to do next time. I wonder If my vision would be better if they had got me glasses much earlier, because as I see it, it's not so much my eye as a brain/eye connection. The vision is just different, when I close my bad eye, everything is fine, when I close my good eye, I can see that I'm missing something. Something new, at night I sit in a darkened room and read my computer, when I get up and go to a darkened area (like the moonlight bathroom) I can't see anything with my good eye, but my bad eye has dark adapted vision. After a while my good eye will adjust and I can see in the dim light. Mikek

Reply to
amdx