HDMI Switch

I'm looking for an HDMI switch, 2-IN, 1-OUT

BUT with IR remote control so I can assign a button on an existing remote.

Seems should be easy to find, but everything out there seems to be over-kill.

Any leads/links?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions, by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that is the secret of happiness." -James Barrie

You should learn that in today's electronics over-kill usually costs nothing and your simple switch will be just as expensive as the advanced device you find when looking for such a thing.

Making only the advanced devices increases volume and further reduces the difference.

Reply to
Rob

I have experimented with two HDMI switches, with mixed results. Apparently much HDMI video+sound data is encrypted and requires working automatic device-device communication to function, and this can get wrecked by the switching activity. In the end, I gave up. If you find one that works well, let us know.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I seem to remember talk of some of the cheap Chinese switches fixing the HDCP nonsense by just decrypting the incoming stream and forwarding it decrypted

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Here's a 4-in, 1-out with IR remote: ($60)

Try surfing B&H Photo - they have about 60 models to choose from (of varying capabilities & price).

Navigate as follows - HOME

--Pro Video

----Signal Processing & Distribution

------Routers, Switches & DA's

--------Routers and Switches

Good luck with the search..

Reply to
mpm

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions, by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that is the secret of happiness." -James Barrie

My experience as well... the "auto" switches act just plain screwy.

What I seek is a simple way to switch between cable crap and Netflix.

(*) Except that I'm running a separate D-A off-the-side to feed my hearing "assistance" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

You would normally combine those two functions. HDMI switches with a built-in DA for analog audio out are quite commonly available.

Reply to
Rob

[snip]

While I have a TOTALLY ANALOG home-brew audio system in the great-room (to blow away the class-D idiots), what part of "hearing-impaired" don't you understand?... I need to drive a pair of wireless Sennheiser headphones ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Which any modern A/V moniker'd receiver would happily feed through its standard 1/4 or 1/8 inch output plug which they all have.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

onsdag den 11. juli 2018 kl. 22.50.46 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org:

but 1/4 or 1/8 inch output is usually for headphones and disable the internal speakers on a tv

but even my ancient Sony have an independent line out on two phono connectors

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Wrong. I refer not to a jack on the TV, but to what a good A/V receiver supplies. The 'stereo' receiver does NOTHING to the speakers on the TV.

And also as you state, they all also have an out to RCA and there are RCA to 1/8" converters out the yin yang.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I am using this one, which works good:

Klaus Kragelund

Of five sets we have in the house, only this one restricts audio out to one-type only :-( ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Source of supply, this side of pond? Amazon?

(Update late today on chip.) ...Jim Thompson