HD speed up times

Easy, DimBulb, try not to be so awed. If you ask politely, someone may offer to teach you how to do a Google search.

Reply to
John

We had a lot of early Seagate 21MB and up HDs that failed often, and we fixed them. The little flap that grounds the spindle shaft (and platters) to ground would get oxidized and the drive would fail.

Once we began burnishing that spot, and ensuring that the 'flap pressure' was good, the drives never failed again. I still have a couple.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

If we want retarded, peanut gallery baby horseshit, we'll call you, f*****ad John. Otherwise FOAD!

Reply to
Bart!

Awwww. You messed up the context. Now it resembles your brain. I'll past it back in....

I will if you will. You go first.

Reply to
John

Don't remind me! On similar drives we used to have to glue inner tube rubber to the back of the phosphor bronze spring that pushed the carbon grounding brush onto the spindle end to stop it resonating and squealing at something like the spindle speed.

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:

I dunno. He's pretty much burned all his bridges. I suppose he could morph again. That might help.

Reply to
JW

Look! A shiny nickel!

Your statement: "Even the first 1GB drive was a 5.25", full height SCSI Seagate."

I don't see anything there about not including mainframe disk drives.

You Dumb Ass.

You're always wrong. I know. Brother, do I know!

Reply to
JW