Has Google changed it's format?

Now, when I do a google image search, I click a picture and I get a box on the right side about 43% of the width, with that picture I clicked on, on top and a little text below and then 6 or 8 more picture below that. First off, I saw the picture I wanted the info about, second when I click on the picture again, sometime it takes me back to the picture. It's like groundhog day. Anyway is there something I need to change or is this the latest and greatest from the 20 somethings. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Yeah, once again, Google fixes something that isn't broken. At least no functionality is missing... I think.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

On a sunny day (Fri, 9 Aug 2019 20:47:06 -0500) it happened amdx wrote in :

I have noticed behavior of google getting worse I added some filters after I found a solution online, but now it is getting worse again. So more and more if google tries tricks I just ask bing, and the pictures work.

Looks like somebody at google is into destroying what made them great,. Google maps sucks the same lately, so I use maps.bing.com Luckily there is competition in search engines.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yes, they changed the format. There was about a week there where, I at least, wasn't getting anything, it just fizzled when clicking the thumbnail. A middle click put the old split window into a new tab though.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

Perhaps some damn-fool "optimization" for mobile devices? You'll know the end has come when LT Spice is optimized for an iPhone screen.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

google's too broken to be much use anymore. Startpage gives results that relate to the query, google is too often off with the fairies now.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have hit a loop on several occasions. Clicking on the picture on the right, goes back to the original picture that brought up the picture on the right. Usually there is an article that goes with the picture, I never get to it. Duck Duck goose is getting more use for me.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Duckduck uses google's results, just as bad. So I've dumped them too. Startpage is sensible at least, no idea how good it is but it gets me what I need so far, google often is somewhere else entirely.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Wrong, according to Gabriel Weinberg, the CEO and founder of DuckDuckGo, who declared that DockDuckGo does NOT use Google search or Google algorithms: However, they do use Google YouTube video search results because that where all the YouTube content is located.

If you don't like the new and improved Google Image Search, you can send feedback to Google explaining your concerns. Go to the image search page at: In the lower right corner, click on: Settings -> Send Feedback and unload your frustrations trying to use the latest improvements into the tiny box provided. Please note that none of my past suggestions, bug reports, or opinions have resulted in any fixes or changes by Google.

Personally, I liked Blekko.com, until it was bought by IBM to become part of the IBM Watson and then disappear:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Whatever the reason, Duckduck suffers the same results problem as google.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

As of yesterday evening it has changed back to the image + six related images.

Then this morning it reverted to the "new and improved" mess.

Also, YouTube had changed so that "related" videos were no longer in a column on the right hand side but rather in a list below the video you had selected (which filled the width of the page minus margins), with comments below.

That has now reverted to the (I guess) "column view".

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

Do you mean this problem, which you posted up-thread?

"google's too broken to be much use anymore. Startpage gives results that relate to the query, google is too often off with the fairies now."

If so, I don't understand the complaint or problem. If you have time, could you provide an example of the problem? I know a few tricks for extracting suppressed results from Google search, but I would like to try it on your problem before I offer any suggestions or solutions. Well, maybe a few hints:

  1. Use Advanced Search instead of the Google home page:

  1. Turn OFF "use private results" Private results filters by your personal information. Sometimes, that's useful, but when searching for something outside of your typical bad habits, it's an impediment.

  2. If you're looking for papers, periodicals, references, legal case law, or technobabble, use Google Scholar:

  1. Word searches are fine, as long as everyone uses the same buzzwords. However, if you don't have the proper terms, use Google Image Search. Pick out a photo that looks close, read the text, and the magic buzzwords usually appear:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

yes

Next time I accidentally let google search & it messes up I'll post about it.

I often do that. It's one thing google is still useful for.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I think the last google included "DC24" in quotes & motor. All the results omitted this, and included "dc 24v" instead. Just a waste of time.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

When I search for just "DC24" as in: I get pages of hits about the Dyson DC24 all floors vacuum cleaner. I presume you're looking for a motor for a vacuum cleaner.

I would narrow the results with "Dyson DC24 parts" first as in: which produces several parts distributors. Picking one of these parts vendors at random: I find that there are two motors. One in the brush bar housing which they do not carry, and the other in the main housing to provide the vacuum: (Click on Page C)

If your DC24 search produced "DC 24v", I suspect that if you had included the manufacturers name, you would have been directed to the correct pages as in: Personally, I prefer searching by photo/image as in: which produces an adequate collection of exploded views and prospective motor suppliers. Videos are also helpful as the same search returns quite a few motor replacement instructional videos:

If you were expecting Google to read your mind and provide an exact result from only "DC24", methinks you will be disappointed by all the search sites. Perhaps when Google has enough personal information about you, it might be possible for Google to also read your mind and know your intentions, rather than what you inscribe in the search box.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

He said, "I think the last google included "DC24" in quotes & motor." I think the results would be different with motor included.

--
  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

Point 1: I put DC24 in quotes, and thus expect only results that contain that string. If a search engine can't even manage that anymore it's a waste of time.

Point 2: I was specifically looking to avoid distributors, parts companies etc. I was seeking a part pulled from a machine by someone in their kitchen. 'Dyson parts' or similar would generally weed those out.

Point 3: Startpage worked as intended, with suitable results right at the top 1st time, ie ones that contained the string "DC24". Why ever would I waste further time on google?

Point 4: Adding 'dyson' returns results for the main motor, not what was wanted.

Google used to be THE search engine. Now its results are too often a waste of time. It's hugely outperformed by startpage, whoever they are.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On a sunny day (Mon, 12 Aug 2019 04:02:37 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Hey startpage.com works very good here too, found something google did not want to show.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I agree - a major frustration. However, Startpage does it to. When Google wasn't giving me what I wanted I tried Startpage, using a quoted term and I got pages without that term. I.e., no better than Google.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I don't follow the complaint. I search for DC24 and I don't see a single hit on the first two pages that don't contain the term "DC24". These pages are virtually all about the Dyson motor. Is that not what is desired?