Has anyone used one of those scope? Seems to good to be true...

Hi, I'm on the market for a cheap scope that simply gets the job done...

Reply to
dlopez

The Rigol DS1052E is much better value, and is a quality scope for the money: Forget the OWON.

and

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

Emmmm, it's probably the other way around, Tektronix probably rebadges these scopes for their low end. Tektronix is no longer an oscilloscope manufacturer.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

So who makes this 80 GHz scope?

John

How are Rigols upper end scopes? Is the DS1204B, 200mhz, 4 channel worth the $1800.

Martin Riddle

Danaher? ;)

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

I've bought all my scopes used. All Tek or HP. That said, I wouldn't mind this scope for use in the field. It might just be me, but I like something really nice on the bench, but I'm not as picky for use in the field since the gear can break or get stolen. Think of this scope as the equivalent of the $3 Harbor Freight DVM. If you need to repair something, it's probably good enough. If you are evaluating a circuit, say overshoot on an amplifier, I'd probably want something better. You don't want instrument error to be attributed to your product under test.

I could see my self buying this scope for field work. Get an ammo can and a bit of padding,stick it in the can, then toss it in the SUV. I've often found myself trying to fix some thing in a remote area and the only instrument I have is a DVM.

Somebody pointed out on this group a while back about a cheap scope injecting noise into a circuit. Perhaps from the LCD refresh. Stuff like that can get you into trouble.

Your alternative in your price range would be to look for used Tek lunch pails. But given ebay prices, that stuff doesn't get discounted very much. It's the boat anchors that have good deals. My Tek 11402A with 3 plugin was $240 at a local flea market. The screen it a little burnt, but otherwise it's ok. These things are impossible to repair, well make that not cost effective to repair, so if you buy used, you have better be able to return it if there is any question about it's functionality.

Reply to
miso

Haven't tried'em, sorry.

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

.

=3DEN

Hi Diego,

Might I suggest the Tektronix TDS1001B which sells for $900 new? It's a 40 MHz, 2 channel basic scope. We offer a Lifetime Warranty on it, so you won't need to worry about whether or not it will work. And, because it's a Tektronix scope, it ships with a passive voltage probe for each analog channel. You can find details about the scope at:

If you hurry, you can get 10% off right now if you buy before the end of the year. We also offer Tektronix refurbished equipment at a discounted price. You can find our current listing of inventory at:

Just to set the record straight, we do design and manufacture our own scopes. I have a team of engineers here who would be mighty upset to hear that folks think we OEM'd their design from someone else. We've been making scopes for over 60 years and have no intentions of stopping now.

Good luck with your scope hunt. I'd suggest looking carefully at the guaranteed specifications on any scope you buy and the warranty. Also another resource you might find helpful in the future is

entral

-- lots of information and resources that might be helpful later on.

Best Regards, Gina Bonini, Technical Marketing Manager Tektronix

Reply to
Scope Guru Tektronix

My TDS2012 and TPS2024 scopes were made in China; they say so on the back. But they don't behave like rebranded products; they behave like Tek scopes. So I assume that Tektronix designed them; is that right?

Are any Tek scopes still manufactured in the USA?

John

who has roughly 50 Tek scopes, some pre-545.

. >> >> if possible. I found those obviously cloned tektronix designs.

S...

c=3DEN

ecentral

The problem with having a product made in China is your brand is then associated with junk. Worse yet, you don't know if the product is OEM or ODM. Most people think the item is ODM, so that makes looks at the Chinese products a serious substitution. It's a death spiral.

I wouldn't shop Harbor Freight if the "American" brands were made in America. But if the American's sell me Chinese stuff, might as well cut out the middle man.

Since price was an issue for the original poster, the operative question is which of the old "lunch pail" Tek scopes were made in the USA.

Reply to
miso

Aside from the USA, Tek had manufacturing facilities in the UK (including the Channel Islands tax haven), and Holland.

Each plant used different serial numbering sequences.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

We bought one to 'live in Europe' for trade shows there. I only played with it for perhaps an hour or two... It's got a bit more noise than a comparable TEK. (Didn't bother us cause we feed it nice big (1V) signals.) I found that the LCD display though big in size had really crappy viewing angle (Only one person can see it at a time and if you need to move around you have to mvoe the scope to be able to see it.)

Overall I would not recommend it. I'm thinking of buying one of the Rigols that Dave Jones likes.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

=3DEN

ek.com/tds1000b

.tek.com/tekselect.

central

Gina, Mind if I gripe a bit about the latest low end scope's from Tek? This is the TDS1001B refered to above. We also have an older 'cheap' version TDS 210. Both these scopes are mostly used for trade shows where we can have 6 or 7 scopes in use at the same time, but occasionally the few 'good' scopes will be in use and I'll drag out a cheap scope to check something.

Now on the newer version I find that sometimes when I rotate a knob and feel the indent click there is 'no response' from the scope. The time base or voltage gain doesn't change. It's like the first clcik is needed to wake the scope up. This tends to 'piss me off'. I don't want to have to look at the scope read out to see that I've actually changed something. That indent click says to my brain that I've changed something. I expect to see that change on the scope display and when it doesn't happen......"Grrrr"

The older TDS210 doesn't have this 'feature'.

Thanks,

George Herold (Research Physicist, Teachspin Inc.)

Reply to
George Herold