Hard drive head motor question

Indeed I am -- sorry about the unclear title. I only posted about the part that mattered to me, not the part I threw away :).

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested

a shorted turn will slow its response down making it easier to control. I've not seen that in and disk drives.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

110 feet of #40 wire gives me about 200mV p-p on a 1Hz pendulum, and "lots" of force when I put five volts on it (I couldn't measure -- it's "lots"). Total resistance is about 120 ohms, and it's big enough to dissipate 1/4 watt easily.

This is becoming an obsession -- have you ever wound 100 feet of hair- fine wire onto a form?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Much reduced L/R time constant, at the price of needing a higher drive voltage. Is it possible that the disk drive generates, say

80V internally? A lot of the "pinwriter" style dot matrix printers use high drive voltages (up to 90V); and even 30-40V for low-ohm steppers.
3300 feet (1km) #43 wire. Multiple times, but not manually. I started by building a winding machine...for guitar pickups.

Clifford Heath

Reply to
Clifford Heath

It's bedded in epoxy, and since it's 30-minute epoxy I was starting to worry toward the end. Fortunately, while it was starting to get sticky toward the end, I still managed to finish.

I have a lathe I could have wound it on, but I was afraid of overshooting and breaking that fine wire.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

I re-wound the 240V primaries in a few ~10VA transformers when I was in high school... there's a lot of wire in them.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to