Happy Earth Overshoot Day

Earth Overshoot Day marks the date when we (all of humanity) have used more from nature than our planet can renew in the entire year. In 2018, it fell on August 1.

We are using 1.7 Earths. We use more ecological resources and services than nature can regenerate through overfishing, overharvesting forests, and emitting more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere than ecosystems can absorb.

Good Luck with that!

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Some are emitting more political 'stuff' than 1 newsgroup can deal with.

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's science, which is the sci in sci.electronics.design. You and other right wing lunatics may think science is political, but in reality it is not.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

climate change has been made into a political issue because the proposed solution involves more taxes.

if a solution was presented that did not involve taxes or a new powerful agency, it would cease to be political.

a campaign to plant more trees for example.

mark

Reply to
makolber

Since we're all going to die, some of us want to be as productive, and have as much fun, as we can in the meantime. Others want to wallow in gloom and boredom and uselessness. The latter are identified by the scientific classification "wusses."

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I take it you don't have any children?

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Two girls and two grand-brats so far. None are wusses.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

rote:

more from nature than our planet can renew in the entire year. In 2018, it fell on August 1.

te through overfishing, overharvesting forests, and emitting more carbon di oxide into the atmosphere than ecosystems can absorb.

Tabb isn't happy with science, and much prefers his own brand of feel-good propaganda - not that he's prepared to tell us whatever it is that he happe ns to feel good about, though he is happy to tell us that medically qualifi ed doctors give much worse advice than he does in this unspecified and myst erious area.

John Larkin does like to think that. A more relevant division is between th ose who want to pay attention to the real world, and those who are gullible enough to swallow attractive propaganda, which is the group with which Joh n Larkin identifies.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Or if they are they have enough sense than not to tell John about it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Nice, I didn't know you had grand brats. Are you spoiling them rotten? (I figure that's my job, if I live to grand brats. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yeah I know some kids with right-winger 'rents, in those cases where they do still talk to them regularly they usually just roll their eyes internally and tell them what they want to hear it's just easier that way. Hey it works just fine for GOP politicians too, why not.

Reply to
bitrex

Bingo. The answer for all problems is "higher taxes". If that isn't the answer, it isn't a problem.

We've had that, in the US for about 150 years. You can even get involved, if it floats your boat.

Reply to
krw

Yep. It's called "revenge". ;-) (traveling up to Vermont to spoil her in a couple of weeks)

Reply to
krw

Krw does over-simplify. The solution to climate change is to shift resources from digging up fossil carbon and burning it as fuel to building solar generating plant and wind turbines. We've got to go over to electric cars as part of that process.

Changing the tax regime (and killing off some of the tax loop-holes that favour the fossil carbon extraction industry) might help this process, but "higher taxes" as such don't do anything useful in their own right.

Carbon capture wasn't the original motivation.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

then I suggest the global warming climate changers remove "carbon tax" from their agenda and we can all get along.

If global warming is such a looming catastrophe that we need to act on right away, then drop carbon taxes from the agenda and we can all stop arguing and work together right now.

mark

Reply to
makolber

The website is about harvesting the Earth's resources faster than they can recover, it's not about global warming.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

e:

ote:

other right wing lunatics may think science is political, but in reality it is not.

osed solution involves more taxes.

rful agency, it would cease to be political.

urces from digging up fossil carbon and burning it as fuel to building sola r generating plant and wind turbines. We've got to go over to electric cars as part of that process.

t favour the fossil carbon extraction industry) might help this process, bu t "higher taxes" as such don't do anything useful in their own right.

om their agenda and we can all get along.

It happens to be the neatest way of moving the economy away from excessive dependence on burning fossil carbon as fuel. You can make it revenue neutra l by using all the money collected to subsidise renewable energy, and thus pushing up the economies if scale for renewable energy sources.

ght away, then drop carbon taxes from the agenda and we can all stop argui ng and work together right now.

Don't be silly. Carbon taxes aren't the problem. The problem is all the peo ple who make lots of money out of digging up fossil carbon and selling it a s fuel. They will seize on any excuse to slow down any process that looks like cutt ing their income and devaluing the assets they happen to own.

And climate change isn't a "looming catastrophe". It's a progressive inconv enience that's making life more difficult at present and promises to make l ife even more difficult as the CO2 level in the atmosphere keeps on going u p.

It's currently 405 ppm, up from the 270 ppm level which it reached at the e nd of the last ice age, and more or less stuck at until about 1750, when we started burning coal on an industrial scale.

It's now going up appreciably faster than it was when we first started accu rate measurements back around 1958 - a bit more than twice as fast.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
bill.sloman

You should be deleted.

Reply to
Helper: 0d

Not an option on a un-moderated group. I'm aware that there are other modes of deletion, but none of them are legal. Some of our more right-wing poste rs don't seem to see that as a problem, but John Larkin's particular delusi ons more or less fit with the the standard right-wing lunatic delusion set, so they don't seem to see any particular need to delete him.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

No "delusions", Larkin is another who simply doesn't give a f*ck. He has here, carelessly, let us know what motivates him, as Pantjeltje once did.

Reply to
Helper: 0d