Hall effect sensor to pic micro

Hi, can anyone point me in the direction of a safe way of interfacing a hall effect (speed) sensor to the input of a PIC microchip? I am sure there are probably driver chips to do the interfacing but I am not aware of any.

Cheers,

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Which hall effect sensor?

Reply to
John Popelish

If it has a digital output you just connect the output of the Hall sensor to an input on the PIC, (perhaps with an external pullup or with an internal pullup programmed, if the Hall sensor is open drain/collector).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Unfortunaltely not, see my reply above :)

Reply to
Ed

Are you talking about the one you emailed to me? (copied below,m along with my reply.

Ed wrote: >

Sounds like not a hall effect sensor at all, but just a small magnet wrapped in wire... an inductive sensor. This is inherently an analog sensor, so either you use an analog input to measure its output and determine zero crossings or you use an opamp or comparator to convert the sine want to a digital output that can connect directly to a digital input.

You could connect one end of the sensor to a 2 resistor divider to hold it at about half of the supply, put a pair of diodes across it, to limit the swing to +- a volt or so, and measure its output voltage with an A/D or comparator input in the PIC. Or, Connect that signal to a comparator that has its other input tied to the divider, and use its output to connect to a PIC digital input.

Neither will work all the way to zero speed, however, since the sensor open circuit output voltage is proportional to velocity.

Reply to
John Popelish

so it turns out it's not a hall sensor.

maybe something like this. comparator |\\ -------- | | / >-+---[100K]------+-------|+/ | |/ `--[10M]--< 1/2 zVcc number of pulses will be proportional to distance traveled, so frequency is proportinal to speed. pick the capacitor (and/or adjust the resistors) to keep the voltage low enough at high speeds.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Hi Ed,

check with allegro.com Also see the section

You can enquire any such question to us at snipped-for-privacy@emittsol.com

Reply to
nsreddy

Also, add some hysteresis. Put a large resistor from the output, back to the +ve input. This is the standard input circuit for tacho type systems.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

On a sunny day (Fri, 05 Jan 2007 19:30:08 -0500) it happened John Popelish wrote in :

Some PICs have simple comparators. Bias comparator internally with software from divider at 1/2 Vzener:

100n 1k 1k from -----| |----- R1 -------- R2 ----------- comparator input PIC inductive- C1 | biased at 1/2 V zener sensor --- \\ 5V zener if / \\ 5V PIC supply --- | GND-------------------------------------- limiter square wave from -.7 to +5V

R1 is current limit zener. R2 limits neg current in PIC C1 must accomodate lowest speed, as PIC comparator has a very high input impedance, the time constant C1 ZinPIC allows for a low value of C1. C1 also blocks any DC from flowing in the sensor coil.

Circuit not tested, use at own risk. Wild guess values.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje