Half Bridge vs Full Bridge

Hello,

I am somewhat new at smps. I am designing a simple circuit to amplify a square wave 400hz signal to 340Vpp signal. Am I correct to assume that a half bridge drive circuit is for single rail only (ie positive swing) and that what i should use is a full bridge driving 4 MOSFETs?

Also I breadboarded a half-bridge circuit driving 2 MOSFETs. The rail voltage is rectified line from a variac so that i can ramp it up slowly. The output signal looks good until I reach about 80V. The the signal appears to saturate and its amplitude stays at about 60V and will not increase even with increasing rail voltage.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Reply to
toyo22r

Obviously you're doing something wrong, but with so little detail in your post we can't give much useful advice.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

A half bridge only fluxes the transformer in 1 direction and so uses less than it could. Your problem is probably that your bridge capacitors are not big enough and it would most likely to be cheaper to use a full bridge which drives the transformer in both directions than get large capacitors.

Reply to
cbarn24050