Halbach Arrays - Page 2

Re: Halbach Arrays
sla is the only real EV company because they are the only one with a chargi
ng solution.  For GM and the others, it's like trying to sell razors before
 you can buy blades.  But that will come in time.  The one report I've read
 estimated it will take the competition four years to get to where Tesla is
 today.  So they are planning on major new EVs in that time period.  What i
f you designed an EV party and nobody came?  You'd have a Bolt!

I might have bought the red model X.  But the exact red was a bit too orang
e for me so I got the blue.  All the women seem to love that color!  No com
plaints so far.

  Rick C.

  -+- Get 6 months of free supercharging
  -+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Halbach Arrays

Hence the missus' reticence, you see...

Re: Halbach Arrays
Tesla is the only real EV company because they are the only one with a char
ging solution.  For GM and the others, it's like trying to sell razors befo
re you can buy blades.  But that will come in time.  The one report I've re
ad estimated it will take the competition four years to get to where Tesla
is today.  So they are planning on major new EVs in that time period.  What
 if you designed an EV party and nobody came?  You'd have a Bolt!
range for me so I got the blue.  All the women seem to love that color!

I see... you are too much the lady's man, so she wishes to hobble you with
a lame vehicle.  I get it!   Glad I don't have the problem of having to ple
ase anyone I don't wish to.  Women can be very easy to please when you aren
't married to them.

  Rick C.

  -++ Get 6 months of free supercharging
  -++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Halbach Arrays

l.com:

ms this

ets in

talking
ce

Not

 the

iffer

ost
own

nk the US automakers have been doing it all these years?  If they thought t
hey could make more money selling Chinese made autos in the US they would i
n a heartbeat.

There's also import tariffs, Toyota, Honda et al. have factories in
the US and EU

Re: Halbach Arrays
he model 3 is the Halbach array they use for the magnets.  Seems this great
ly increases the magnetic field on one side of the magnets for little downs
ide.  The trick is being able to glue powerful magnets in an arrangement wh
ere they strongly repel one another.  The guy talking about them said when
they first saw one of these they put it in a vice to hit it with a hammer a
nd the pieces flew apart.  Lol
 how these Halbach arrays are arranged in the motor.  Seems the Tesla motor
 is much more powerful, lighter and cheaper to make than the motors used in
 the BMW i3 or the Chevy Bolt.  The weights differ by about 10% but there w
as a bit larger difference in price with the Tesla model 3 motor being the
top dog across the board.

Not sure why you say this is not an option for GM.  This is exactly what th
ey have said they are going to do, make their high volume EVs in China to s
ell in China before they address the US market.  In fact the US market is a
fter Europe too.

  Rick C.

  + Get 6 months of free supercharging

Re: Halbach Arrays
:
 the model 3 is the Halbach array they use for the magnets.  Seems this gre
atly increases the magnetic field on one side of the magnets for little dow
nside.  The trick is being able to glue powerful magnets in an arrangement
where they strongly repel one another.  The guy talking about them said whe
n they first saw one of these they put it in a vice to hit it with a hammer
 and the pieces flew apart.  Lol
re how these Halbach arrays are arranged in the motor.  Seems the Tesla mot
or is much more powerful, lighter and cheaper to make than the motors used
in the BMW i3 or the Chevy Bolt.  The weights differ by about 10% but there
 was a bit larger difference in price with the Tesla model 3 motor being th
e top dog across the board.

they have said they are going to do, make their high volume EVs in China to
 sell in China before they address the US market.  In fact the US market is
 after Europe too.

I guess it's not an option for GM because they're already buying the batter
and motor/drive train from Korea (made by LG). Korea is a tiny car market t
hough, China's is the largest in the world.

--Spehro Pefhany

Re: Halbach Arrays
te:
in the model 3 is the Halbach array they use for the magnets.  Seems this g
reatly increases the magnetic field on one side of the magnets for little d
ownside.  The trick is being able to glue powerful magnets in an arrangemen
t where they strongly repel one another.  The guy talking about them said w
hen they first saw one of these they put it in a vice to hit it with a hamm
er and the pieces flew apart.  Lol
sure how these Halbach arrays are arranged in the motor.  Seems the Tesla m
otor is much more powerful, lighter and cheaper to make than the motors use
d in the BMW i3 or the Chevy Bolt.  The weights differ by about 10% but the
re was a bit larger difference in price with the Tesla model 3 motor being
the top dog across the board.

ost
own

t they have said they are going to do, make their high volume EVs in China
to sell in China before they address the US market.  In fact the US market
is after Europe too.
ery
 though, China's is the largest in the world.

So why can't GM design and build their own components in China or anywhere
else they want?

  Rick C.

  +-- Get 6 months of free supercharging
  +-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Halbach Arrays
On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 11:27:41 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com w
rote:
 model 3 is the Halbach array they use for the magnets.  Seems this greatly
 increases the magnetic field on one side of the magnets for little downsid
e.  The trick is being able to glue powerful magnets in an arrangement wher
e they strongly repel one another.  The guy talking about them said when th
ey first saw one of these they put it in a vice to hit it with a hammer and
 the pieces flew apart.  Lol
ow these Halbach arrays are arranged in the motor.  Seems the Tesla motor i
s much more powerful, lighter and cheaper to make than the motors used in t
he BMW i3 or the Chevy Bolt.  The weights differ by about 10% but there was
 a bit larger difference in price with the Tesla model 3 motor being the to
p dog across the board.

This video shows the Tesla 3's motor guts & magnets, starting at 3:12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj1a8rdX6DU

Cheers,
James Arthur

Site Timeline