Hacking a wireless router?

With every home-networking router I've had (wired and wireless), I was able to ping the router itself from the network ports, regardless of whether it was connected to something upstream. I think your $1.98 has gone the way of the other dot-com investments of its era.

Reply to
Walter Harley

When you try to access any IP address, the TCP/IP stack will look in it's Routing Table and determine which network adapter to transmit your message from, and which IP address to specifically transmit it to (unknown IP addresses are sent to your local gateway, known ones are transmitted directly). You can look in your own routing table by using the command line "route print". You can also make manual changes to the routing table, but usually it is easier to just change your IP address and let the TCP/IP stack update the routing table.

It is quite possible that your routing table doesn't allow your message to be sent out your Ethernet adapter, and thus is arriving at the wrong destination. The router is likely fine. Try setting your local IP address to 192.168.2.2 and see if you still can't ping or access the router.

Reply to
Howard Henry Schlunder

I picked up a Dell TrueMobile 2300 wireless broadband router at the local thrift store for $1.98 last week. I played around with it long enough to come to the conclusion that since I don't have a broadband modem, the router is useless for me.

I had hoped that I could simply leave the ethernet port that should have gone to a modem unconnected and still use the router as a wireless hub. That didn't seem to work. I plugged my computer into one of the "normal" ethernet ports and tried to go through the installation procedure in the manual. Nothing I tried seemed to work. I couldn't get the router to talk to me at all.

My working theory so far is that there is a somewhat sophisticated processor inside the router that stops during it's boot phase if it can't find a broadband modem connected to it.

Is that the case? Or is my newfound plaything simply braindead?

Jim

Reply to
jmeyer

[snip]

Isn't the more common default 192.168.0.1 ??

You might try that.

...Jim Thompson

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 09:36:11 -0700, "Walter Harley" wroth:

Hadn't thought of that. I think the default address is in the docs somewhere.

Pinged 192.168.2.1 (the default) and it just timed out. 8-(

Question... When I "ping" from a command line prompt, does the ping always go out over the ethernet port? What if I have a dial-up session open at the same time?

Jim

Reply to
jmeyer

If the router supports DHCP, configure eth0 for DHCP and reboot. If it doesn't, manually assign a class D address on the same network (e.g.:

192.168.2.1).

`ipconfig /all` will tell you quite a bit about how your network is setup.

`route print` will tell you what traffic goes through which interface.

`traceroute` tells you shows each hop on ...

I think you're in over your head, though.

Me personally, I would just spend the $20 for a NIB NATS router and hub. You might also try a hard reset on the device before giving up. I would probably strip the discrete components and call it a wash. Heat the board in a toaster oven to reflow the solder, and give it a good whack. Whatever falls off are keepers; the rest go in the trash with the board. Standoffs and hardware go in the parts jar. (Don't forget: Buy a new toaster oven for the kitchen. And dress appropriately before flinging solder everywhere.)

Reply to
Mike Young

Have you tried a hard reset? If you haven't the prior owner could have set the default address to any unknown address and made it inaccessible. Hard resets are normally done by keeping the device powered on and then pressing a difficult-to-access momentary switch on the device. You may need to hold the momentary switch down for a few seconds.

To redirect std output from the screen to a file, use the ">" character. eg: "route print > MyRoutingTable.txt". If you wish to append std output from the screen to a (possibly) pre-existing file, use two of the ">" characters. eg: "route print >> MyRoutingTable.txt"

Reply to
Howard Henry Schlunder

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 23:37:07 GMT, "Mike Young" wroth:

Like Homer (Simpson) said when the guy at the boat rental office told him he couldn't operate a boat while intoxicated, "I take that as a challenge!"

More good advice, never fry bacon before you put your pants on.

Jim

Reply to
jmeyer

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:55:08 -0700, Jim Thompson wroth:

Tried both of them. Still timed out. Once I find my DOS reference book and refresh my memory on how to redirect command line screen outputs to a file, I'll paste the results of "route print" in a reply.

Jim

Reply to
jmeyer

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:09:18 +1300, Jasen Betts wroth:

at

The activity light blinks about fifteen times at a once per second rate with very short blinks, but only immediately after the router is reset. After that, the activity light stops and doesn't resume even for the "ping" command.

Looks like the router is trying to communicate but my computer isn't cooperating.

Jim

Reply to
jmeyer

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 02:53:44 -0700, "Howard Henry Schlunder" wroth:

Yep. The manual gives details for that. I tried it several times. Still no joy but I'm not giving up.

Thanks, I remembered | or "pipe" but > was eluding me.

The router will set its self up If I could just access it as a web site. Perhaps I could find the set-up files for a generic broadband modem and use them to configure the ethernet port along with TCP/IP protocols and such.

Jim

Reply to
jmeyer

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:06:08 +1300, "Ken Taylor" wroth:

That's the first thing I tried. The proceedure is written on a label on the bottom of the router. IE couldn't find my.router either my its name or the

192.168.2.1 address. I'm beginning to think that I just don't have all the protocols set properly for the ethernet port.

Jim

Reply to
jmeyer

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:45:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net wrote in Msg.

Perhaps you should first try out your computer with a WL router that you know works.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

the ping goes out whichever interface is configured for that IP address. so your ethernet card is configured as 192.168.2.2 (etc...) it'll go that way.

stick your head roud the back of the computer ans watch the activity light on your ethernet port.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

open at

way.

light

After

command.

Jim. maybe you've tried, but according to:

use your browser to go to my.router and you should get a login page: 'admin' and 'admin' are the default username/password.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Can you use it in place of a normal hub? (forget wireless, IP addresses etc. at the mo, this should test the hardware ports)

Is your ethernet port set to use DHCP (get an IP address automatically)?

It may be that the router has been set to disable DHCP and given an arbitary IP address. You may have to reset the router to factory default (notmally holding a reset button for a while)

If the router has been reset and your ethernet card set to dhcp, you should be ale to run ipconfig in a dos prompt (assuming you are using Windoze) and the ethernet interface should have a 192.168.2.something address.

Is your browser configured to use a proxy server? If so, turn it off while trying to log in to the router.

Reply to
Nick.

You can probably use it as an access point.

Nothing

Google for openwrt and Dell TrueMobile 2300 on how to use the processor in different ways. Good chance that running a DHCP server on your computer will give teh router an address...

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

Install Ethereal on your computer, start it collecting packets, then turnon the router. Normally equipment starts sending some packets to poll for duplicate IP address: that tells you its own MAC and IP addres.

Regards, Arie de Muynck

Reply to
Arie de Muynck

Sure. Post it someplace.

Reply to
Howard Henry Schlunder

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:45:31 +0200, "Arie de Muynck" wroth:

OK. I now have a file of captured packets. There is a lot of stuff going on but I can't figure it all out yet. I saved the file and when I reload it back into Ethereal, it shows up the same way it did when it was live.

If I posted the file somewhere, (it's only 3 KB) could you look at it and give me some pointers as to what is going on?

It's clear that the router *isn't* dead, it's just looking for things that my computer isn't (yet) able to give it.

Jim

Reply to
jmeyer