Hacking a depletion MOSFET model

Why are you being such a hard-headed asshole? I told you what to do in...

Or you can follow Tim's lead >:-} ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

If you want to simulate a circuit with an LND150 at the typical 1.6 mA Idss, you could just add a resistor in the source. Seriously.

I also see a very consistent 1.6 mA for the LND150 and 250.

lunatic fringe electronics

Nah, just another leftist moron, trying to shut you up by shouting "RACIST". ...just like they taught him on CNN.

Reply to
krw

Perhaps. What I'm having trouble understanding is how he can be so densely incorrect, yet argue that he's right... blatant ignorance I guess. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

It doesn't occur to Jim that he might be being blatantly ignorant - as he s o often is in areas outside of electronics. Somebody who is back on chemoth erapy may not have quite the grasp of the fine points of Spice modelling th at he has when he is in better health.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It doesn't quite occur to slowman that I am absolutely correct on this topic. (Though it actually does occur to slowman... he's just a pathological liar... or maybe he's just "pathological" >:-}

Tim, the youngster, is bloviating so much he's foaming at the mouth... but still doesn't know shit about Spice models...

"MJ" is used in the "model card" and has only to do with the junction CAPACITANCE grading.

"M" is used in the "instantiation" of a device (or subcircuit)... otherwise known as a LINE IN THE NETLIST for you amateurs.

(I posted what this "instantiation" should look like in...

Sorry if some of you prima donnas got your poor "fweeeelings" hurt... but you deserved it.

BTW: I still invite visitors, who are wanting to learn, to drop by... just give me a call (or E-mail) first to make sure I'm in town. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Since when did "being correct"[*] interest the CNN-o-philes. One doesn't have to have any facts to shout someone down. It helps to be completely devoid of facts.

[*] in any sense other than "political correctness"
Reply to
krw

Krw has a complete set of "facts" - they were installed in his cranium some time ago, and he hasn't yet realised that his set isn't entirely correct (which is why CNN contradicts them from time to time) or remotely complete.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

e so often is in areas outside of electronics. Somebody who is back on chem otherapy may not have quite the grasp of the fine points of Spice modelling that he has when he is in better health.

If that was supposed to be a link, it doesn't work - just keeps on asking m e if I'm a robot.

Phil Hobbs opened this thread with a request for help on getting an LTSpice model to give him the observed IDSS - 1.6mA - when LTSpice gave him 2.4mA.

You responded within 15 minutes with an answer that didn't solve his proble m, as he pointed out almost immediately. Your reaction was

"I thought you were a Spice "expert" ?>:-}

What .ASY are you using for the LND150? "

which was both unnecessarily rude, and failed to explain what the .ASY was, and why it mattered.

None of this did anything to solve his problem, and when he finally did fin d the .ASY file, your reaction was to suggest that he move to an NMOS4 mode l (without telling him where he might get one for the LND150).

You've managed to reiterate that that you think that you are an expert on a ll things Spice, but still haven't managed to solve Phil's problem.

Your grasp of cooperative behaviour has never been great, but your failure to address the actual question asked does suggest that you have lost the pl ot, and are re-running the "I'm the dominant male here" script without actu ally thinking about the problem you might have solved if you hadn't spirall ed off into being anti-social.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Hi Phil, did you ever figure out which parameter to tweak in the LND150 model to get it to fit better?

TIA George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Hmm I reduced VTO from -2.0 to -1.5 and that seemed to work.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Is that expedient even physics based?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Nope, it wasn't that important so I just bailed. A 50% error isn't that unusual in board-level SPICE models. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

OK, does changing VTO seem reasonable? Looking at the spec sheet,

Can I read VTO off the I_D Vs V_DS graph on page 3? (at Vgs=0)

-2.0 looks right.

However fitting the I_D vs R_source graph on page 3... well ~-1.5 works much better.

I'm kinda caring about that factor of two. I'll have to measure them individually I guess.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

You may find that all the devices in a batch are pretty close to each other. Let us know.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Everybody who has any LND150s or LND250s could measure Idss and post here. Sample different batches.

I vote 1.65 mA with 5 volts on the drain.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

1.81, 1.56, 1.46, 1.80, 1.75, 1.75 and 1.68 mA to-93 pac 5V on drain.

I'm wanting a 100uA current limit, so I'll measure and pick the G-S R.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Here's some stuff I have:

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Thanks, 10 k ohm seems to give a nice 100 uA limit, but the spice model gave me 200 uA... And that is the max CW current of my spad, so I certainly want to stay away from that.

Speaking of my spad, I've been trying to make a model of it I can use in spice. I'm starting another thread.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Level=3 is the standard old text book model. Curve trace (curve tracers still exist don't they?) some devices and curve fit... trivial. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |