HA ! Free Image Hosting, But With Limitations

I am ion Audio Asylum. An apt name for some of the audiophoolery, but there are parts with merit there so it is worth it.

Anyway, they allow the uploading to their server(s) images for embedding in posts. so what my sneaky ass did was to make such a post, not thinking abo ut this yet, but I was thinking of posting it here as well. So I went "View Source" and found the text immediatly before the embedded image. (after wo uld work as well) What to I find ? The actual URL of the image. I found no way to get it to display when the page is parsed, but there is was. They c onverted it to a GIF but what do I care.

In my next post I will use that method. I already tested it. the drawback i s that the image usually has to be related to their topics. But there is a section that is like random where almost anything goes. But any electronics that could possibly be used in audio I'm sure would be fine.

One problem though is that software loses features with every new release, so I don't know if a really modern browser has "View Source". Saving the pa ge and opening it in a text editor because it is already parsed, you need i t raw.

For the amount I intend to use that method it should not bother them, unles s maybe the sheer traffic does. Anyone thing they will notice people access ing the image without the post ? Does their software usually have that feat ure ?

Reply to
jurb6006

On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 12:39:39 AM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wro te:

re

Yeah, sometimes it's preceded b various framing/formatting stuff.

Many specialized web-based forums have such "anything goes" sections. My wife was "aww-ing" over some pics of someone's grandkids playing in the sno w on a paper-modeling site the other day. (The grandkids the poster makes m odels for.)

,

ed

FF 58.0.2 does. It even does "Inspect Element" which allows you to focus on an image or block of text or link or whatever without leaving the page.

ess

ing

e ?

I have no idea, but I suspect their IT folks occasionally look at their s erver loads for things like that. Not much they can do to stop it beyond re stricting access to image URLs to requests from their own servers. I can't imagine why they'd bother unless everyone in China (for an extreme example) starts looking at all their images one day.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

Do people actually worry about hosting anymore???

Imgur has been around for /years/, it's free, you can connect your account with many things (if you're a "social network" type), or plain old email as usual.

Imgur basically hosted Reddit's images for the longest time, until recently when Reddit finally developed their own on site. Which can also be used, given similar credentials.

Or there are others that I don't even know about because I don't need or care...

And there's always the shit and spam ones, like photobucket and postimg.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature