H-Bridge for continuous(rather than digital) driving?

Are H-Bridges always bi-stable or do they generally simply translate the input voltage into the output voltage? Since they are almost exclusively used for switching I would imagine they are designed for such. I would like to use them for level translations in a continuous way if possible(it would be simpler than rolling my own).

Reply to
Jeff Johnson

Hello Jeff,

H-bridge, or full-bridge topology is used in LF analog power amplifiers also. It gives you twice the output swing. Before the switched amplifiers took over, it was used in many car audio systems.

Best regards,

Wim PA3DJS

without abc, PM will reach me.

Reply to
Wimpie

ke

ld

In the first proof-of-principle prototype of our Peltier based temperature controller I drove the junction with an analog H-bridge built around two LM12 op amps on big heatsinks. It worked fine, and we did most of our device characterisation with that rig.

The production version drove the Peltier junction with a pulse-width modulated switching H-brodge, with serious LC filtering between the switch and the Peltier to minimise the ripple on fthe current going through the Peltier junction. that worked just as well, and didn't need any heat sinks on the switching transistors (though there was obviously a big heat sink on the exhaust side of the Peltier junction).

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

The bridge itself isn't necessarily bistable. That's a feature of the controller. An H bridge is basically two bridged class AB amplifiers when driven in their linear region. Dissipation issues will have to be considered for such operation of course.

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

Yes, I meant the H-Bridge driver and not the H-Bridge itself.

Reply to
Jeff Johnson

The drivers I'm familiar with are bistable (designed to switch the bridge transistors hard on or off). The 'continuous' control can be achieved with a driver designed to PWM the bridge drive.

I'm not the person to ask for part numbers (and besides, you haven't given us enough info) but there are off the shelf solutions out there.