GWX Control Panel to Stop Windows 10 ???

Anyone know about the safety/validity of "GWX Control Panel"....

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

When it comes to software, frankly, it's always hard to tell for sure, as not all the effects might be obvious immediately...

But I sorta remember using this program on some relative's PC for just that reason and there were no adverse effects that I could notice.

Also it seems to be useful for clearing out the installers of old (and long ago installed) updates from the windows update downloads folder.

Dimitrij

Reply to
Dimitrij Klingbeil

Thanks, Dimitrij! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Don't know about this app but what I did to stop the GWX nagging and sitting there waiting to nag me again is to first, Ctrl-Alt-Delete and bring up task manager and processes. Click on GWX.EXE and end process. Then, explore over to

C:\Windows\System32\

Find the GWX directory

C:\Windows\System32\GWX

and delete it or rename it. That stops it from popping up UNTIL the next time your windows does an update. For me, I don't do automatic updates but have windows tell me when there is one ready. Maybe I will update and maybe I won't but at least it won't restart my computer in the middle of the night when I don't want it to.

boB

Reply to
boB

Also if you go to the MS upgrades page and tell it to hide the update KB

3035583 it will not include that in future so avoiding the nuisance. I found Win10 to be far to intrusive and I reckon they are leading up to a yearly license when every one is hooked.
Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

How to uninstall Win10 notification:

a) Use GWX Control Panel. I haven't tried it, but supposedly it's being updated to use whatever methods needed. b) Uninstall update 3035583. This is the one responsible for the alert.

M$ pushed the update again last month or so, and is likely to continue doing so. They can push it back to "recommended", even if you put it on your "do not install in the future" list.

c) Go here:

They lie, you have to

  1. Run: gpedit.msc
  2. Local Computer Policy / Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update / Windows Anytime Upgrade
  3. Prevent = Enabled

Or, digging through Regedit is probably easier. Simply navigate to the parent key, then add: Subkey: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1

This is what the above flag sets.

  1. The other one, you need to Regedit anyway. Add this: Subkey: HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx DWORD value: DisableGwx = 1

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

It is recommended for all w10 refuseniks :-) See this page for the latest w10 force-feeding news and scroll down a bit for the GWX info.

Geo

Jim--

It's real, it works, and it gets updated. I run it on Win 7 systems that I do not want "upgraded" to Win 10.

As others have suggested, in addition to GWX, you can uninstall Windows update KB3035583, which is one of the roots of this "feature."

Reply to
artie

Yep, I have it all "fixed", for now at least ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

there is plenty of stuff on google on how to remove the nag and stop it from reloading (hint - GWX was a recommended update downloaded by win7)

Reply to
David Eather

I am on the other side. I DESPERATELY WANT W10. So I clicked where it says "download and install" AND NOTHING HAPPENS!! They open the Microsoft upgrade page, but only language packs and virus def. are found. WHERE IS WIN 10???

w.

Reply to
Helmut Wabnig

"desperately"?

You should desperately seek some psycholological adjustment assistance.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Its a 10 or 11 GB background download - may take a while.

Reply to
David Eather

I have the GWX control panel running on 2 by W8.1 and 1 by W7 machines.

seems to work fine. I have to keep hiding KB3035583, which I think I have done 5 times now. I'll bet I have to do this many more times.

All the money I have spent at Microsoft, I am not going to be dictated to by them.

When I need new hardware, I will purchase the current O/S with it.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

http://www.dontronics-shop.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

It is 2.6 GB.

Sheesh.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

oops - quite so. Win 10 upgrade is touted as > 3GB

Reply to
David Eather