GSM GPRS Modem Power Supply From Alkaline Batteries

Greetings,

Got a requirement for a GSM/GPRS modem to run off alkaline cells, which is a little unusual, as they are designed to run straight from a Lithium-Polym er battery at about 3.6V. A common power specification for modems is 3.3v - 4.6V at a few mA standby, 50mA active with 500us bursts every 5ms up to 1.

5A(!) when transmitting.

As I said I need alkaline cells to run this from. What do people think to r unning the modem from 3x cells 4.5V nominal, 4.8V max with new cells on lig ht load via a silicon diode to drop .7V to keep the volts below the maximum for the modem. When the cells discharge a bit below 3.8V say, the diode is switched out with a latching relay.

I don't care about wasting the power in the diode as the modem is switched on only for a few seconds every week, so the power lost is minimal.

Thanks for any ideas

TomH

Reply to
Tom Harris

I think you'd be much happier with an LDO regulator. Into a honkin' big cap, given that 1.5A pulse.

A decent one won't have much drop once it goes out of regulation.

Keep in mind that there's still quite a bit of useful charge in a dry cell even after the cell voltage has dropped to 1V. See if you can find a data sheet or three; plotting energy left vs. cell voltage should be educational. You may decide that four cells are better.

I'd be tempted to do a switcher; it may be the best way to wring the maximum amount of energy out of the batteries, given the wide voltage range you see from dry cells.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Normally I like LDOs with PMOS pass devices, but if you go LDO in this case, I'd probably go with a bipolar LDO. There isn't much voltage to turn on the PFET when it goes out of regulation.

Alkalines have a linear drop to about half a volt a cell, but you really need to buck/boost if you are only using a few cells.

Reply to
miso

There are boost convertor ICs specifically desined to make 3.3V from one alcaline cell. Very efficient, too.

Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Designs

Vladimir Vassilevsky

s a little unusual, as they are designed to run straight from a Lithium-Pol ymer battery at about 3.6V. A common power specification for modems is 3.3v - 4.6V at a few mA standby, 50mA active with 500us bursts every 5ms up to

1.5A(!) when transmitting.

running the modem from 3x cells 4.5V nominal, 4.8V max with new cells on l ight load via a silicon diode to drop .7V to keep the volts below the maxim um for the modem. When the cells discharge a bit below 3.8V say, the diode is switched out with a latching relay.

d on only for a few seconds every week, so the power lost is minimal.

use an LDO, pick one with enable and you also have you on-off switch

you could try and find an example of a usb gsm mode, usb is 5V and limited to 500mA so the supply must handle the voltage and the burst current

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Compare the internal resistance of alkaline batteries to the LiPo batteries that are recommended.

Pay attention to battery terminals & the interconnects & the losses they incur during tx. Use GOOD quality battery holders.

Use 3 or 4 x 1500uF 4V caps in // across the output supply to modem

Reply to
Rodwell