Group etiquette...

So i went off reading, while not directly supported it is not prohibited either to the RFD/CFV process. True, the process is focused on creation and deletion of news groups, with some other functions explicitly called out, no function is explicitly ruled out. Thanks for making me go find out.

JosephKK

..which is why I wrote "there is a procedure that allows an exist "A proposal must consist of one or more of the following changes to Big Eight newsgroups: Create a new newsgroup, remove an existing newsgroup (by subsuming it into an existing group), change the moderation status of an existing newsgroup, or rename a newsgroup. No other types of proposals will be accepted"

The rules have changed since then (see

), but nothing in the new rules implies that the Big-8 Management Board has changed it's mind and now approves RFD/CFVs for an existing unchartered newsgroup adopting a charter.

comp.lang.c (formerly net.lang.c before the Great Renaming) is one example of a newsgroup that was created bedore charters and which still exists and has an active user base.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

Cheerful and diplomatic and polite I can manage, if there is money in it. Deceitful and mendacious I avoid - inaccurate and misleading answers have a way of coming back to haunt the people who've produced them, as I've had rather too many opportunities to observe.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

A journeyman artist. Richard Steven Walz was a master of the craft.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Ah, civility for sale.

That's an idea: maybe the group can form a fund, to pay you a modest daily stipend, on the condition thay you not be such a tedious insulting fathead.

How much do you want?

John

Even Paulen didn't have that much money.

Reply to
krw

I have a better idea. If he doesn't shut up, go find out how to cut off his food stamp allotment ;-)

...Jim Thompson

That would depend on who determined whether I was being tedious, insulting or fat-headed. Your judgement in this kind of area doesn't strike me as too reliable.

Who would you propose as a disinterested judge? Spehro Pefhany?

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson strikes again. Food stamps are an American phenomena, and Jim would be a long time finding anything equivalent in the Dutch social security armoury with my name on it. I do collect some Dutch earnings-related old age pension, but since the Dutch system is fully funded, I paid for it when I was working here and any attempt to alienate it would be theft. I've got quite a lot more pension income tied up in the U.K. system, but since my wife expects to keep working full-time until I turn 70, I've deferred collecting it until then, which will push up the income we get out of it by about 50%.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Like right around 2-3/4 inches long?

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

on

html

.

Wrong, they were a bunch of tax-dodgers who got together and created a tax haven. It didn't work as well as they would have liked, because they got infiltrated by people who were interested in creating an organisation that could survive.

And anarcho-syndicalism doesn't advocate pure anarchy, but rather a loose federation of small communities each run by an elected committee who was directly responsible to the community that elected them.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Not so fascinating when you know that the Screen Actors Guild was a fake union set up by the employers and composed of scabs; Regan was a leading scab.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Hey, I could "not be such a tedious insulting fathead." for a couple hundred bucks a week.

Just send my checks to:

Rich Grise, Contract Inventor c/o ABI Engineering

12143 Rivera Rd. Whittier, CA 90606

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hmm... how about a $5 gift certificate to McDonalds? :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

snip

Why does your annoyance only extend to AGW proponents? Why not berate those that initiate the threads?

I've just done a quick look back through google groups for the last five months and offer the following list of the threads (and their initiators) that were about climate. All except one were initiated by those politely described as "doubters". One was even started by yourself!!!

President 'has four years to save Earth Bulegoge

OT - Hansen acknowledges solar forcing Raveninghorde

EEyore FYI - And the IPCC wants to appear balnced? Raveninghorde

The world has never seen such freezing heat Kilovolts

More for the Slow Man - Rising Sea Level Claim a Total Fraud Eeyore

For Slowman's Annoyance of the Day.. Jim Thompson

Specially for the Slow Man Eeyore

I was told that science was not going to intrude on policy Bulegoge

global sea ice levels now same as levels in 1979 Bulegoge

The world has never seen such freezing heat Me

OT: Hot, Flat and Crowded Bill Slowman

US weathermen start to doubt AGW Eeyore

Climate related computer models. Eeyore

weather John Larkin

Global Warming: Junk Science Bulegoge

Arctic sea ice Jim Thompson

OT: Global warming hits Australia HARD ! Eeyore

-- Regards Malcolm Remove sharp objects to get a valid e-mail address

Reply to
Malcolm Moore

This has a certain theoretical appeal, but in practice government is simply the largest protection racket in town. If you minimised government enough, it would be replaced by some other protection racket.

Since some form of government is inevitable, it makes sense to use the creeps to do something useful Police, taxes, tax collectors, defence and diplomacy are unavoidable. Consumer protection and market regulation, public health and looking after widows and orphans come next, followed by public education - which isn't necessary, but turns out to be a very good idea.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Sure, they should do some electronics too. But the pro-AGW types are a lot more long-winded.

Hey, all I did was comment on the weather... nothing about AGW.

John

Anthropogenic global warming is supported by a large battery of facts

- the Manua Loa carbon dioxide record

the Vostok ice core data

a bunch of satellite temperature data

and a whole of experimental physics that ties it all together.

Rich doesn't seem to be equipped to come to grips with this, and equates it with the kind of revelation that Joseph Smith claims to have had from the angel Moroni. I'm afraid that this statement does represent a kind of ad hominem attack, but Rich does happen to be wrong, and failing to point out that his post is wrong and misleading might suggest that this is a socially acceptable point of view.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

As if Rich knew what that premise might be.

Few people would agree with this. More reliable histories are available

Or so Rich has persuaded himself.

Actually, the ethanol-from-corn scam was a Republican attempts to buy the farming vote with the tax-payer's money. Dubbya made a feeble attempt to disguise this pre-election bribe as a scheme for reducing carbon dioxide emissions but anybody better informed than Rich would know that growing the corn on a US farm involved burning more oil than the ethanol produced would replace.

The Republicans managed that without invoking anthropogenic global warming at any point.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

il

in

You can only believe that if you restrict your reading on the subject to Exxon-Mobil funded web-sites, and even then you'd need to be pretty gullible.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman