Group etiquette...

Hi all.  Can someone tell me where to find a document covering the "rules
of the road" for sci.electronics.design?  I hope to make contacts here
that could lead to paying design jobs, but I want to make sure that I
behave in an "acceptable fashion."

Thanks in advance!
Kip

Re: Group etiquette...

Here is a FAQ, but it includes mainly technical guidance:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/sci/sci.electronics.design.html

This is a pretty good newsgroup as far as Usenet goes. There are
a few people who profanely snipe at each other, but they are not
difficult to ignore.

As long as you don't spam the group and at least try to bring
something of value to the group, you will be appreciated.

Re: Group etiquette...

This group is for the right wing political discussions. You should
express the hatred to the leftist weenies, warmingists, europeons and
muslems at least once a week. Democratic views are not acceptable,
libertarians are barely tolerated.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com

Re: Group etiquette...

   "baer"ly tolerated??? Hmph!

Re: Group etiquette...

  This group is a technical group that has a history of culturally
tolerating political discussions in addition to the technical
on-topic ones.

  Many of the longtime regulars are electrical engineers, who on average
tend to be somewhat disproportionately somewhere or somewhere else in the
right hand side of the political spectrum.  It appears to me that a least
a couple of the longtime regular EEs participating in the political
discussions own their own businesses - and EEs owning their own businesses
tend to be hit with enough frustration with taxes and tax law and
regularatory requirements to support their political leanings being
anywhere from conservative to "wingnut".

  The one I see being the most noted libertarian here is also one of these
rightwingers.  Modern libertarianism surely appears to me somewhere on the
right hand side of the political spectrum.

  A couple recent AGW-skeptical posters in global warming threads appear
to me to have come here from global warming threads being crossposted to
other newsgroups where discussion on global warming is "more on-topic".
However, s.e.d. has for a long time included political threads on AGW.

Re: Group etiquette...

libertarian means rightwing. were he left-wing the term would be 'anarchist'
and not 'libertarian'.

Re: Group etiquette...

www.politicalcompass.org

and the faq says

You can't be libertarian and left wing

This is almost exclusively an American response, overlooking the
undoubtedly libertarian tradition of European anarcho-syndicalism. It
was, after all, the important French anarchist thinker Proudhon who
declared that property is theft.

Of course this site has no authority at all. Apparantly I'm a left of
centre social libertarian, -1.4, -1.8.  I'm clearly in denial of my
true self.

Re: Group etiquette...

Since the core Libertarian concept is smaller
government and to get government OUT of
people's lives as much as possible, I've got
to ask what the heck is a "social Libertarian".

You're a maximal minimalist too I suppose.
Or a Christian Atheist?

Re: Group etiquette...
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 04:14:58 -0800 (PST), Greegor

I'm no expert.

The political compass shows a 2 dimensional rather than a 1
dimensional image of politics. They show economic views as left/right
being communism to neo-liberalism and add another axis for
authoritarian/libertarian being fascism to anarchism.

Check the link if you want to know more.

As to me, I'm anti big business, anti union, anti unfettered market
free marketeer with a hang um and flog um attitude to criminals but
legalize drugs/smoking etc but not near me.  Or to put it another way
I don't like people interfering with my life and have no interest in
how you live yours until it annoys me.  I think I confused the test at
political compass.

Re: Group etiquette...
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 13:07:41 +0000, Raveninghorde

The test has an obvious flaw in not allowing "neither agree nor
disagree".  It could be made better with a "the question does not make
sense" answer.

Re: Group etiquette...

Agreed, but where do you put 0/0?  The quesionare is silly.

Re: Group etiquette...

The quiz at  http://www.quiz2d.com /
allows more levels of response and you to rate the questions in order of
importance to you.

Re: Group etiquette...

Just done that. I guess I must be a libertarian, the quiz made me a
radical one.

However that quiz is biased to a US audience. Gun ownership and the
draft are non issues in the UK.  And immigration is a different
problem, the US isn't overcrowded the UK is.

Re: Group etiquette...

Someone with libertarian views on social issues.

James Arthur

Re: Group etiquette...
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:51:06 GMT, James Arthur

Me...

Someone with libertarian views on social issues... but a hawk on
issues of defense... and conservative on finances.

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

aka a demi-libertarian.
SCNR

...and I'll argue that "defense" becomes a euphemism
when you're no longer on you own soil
but are projecting power far across the seas.

Re: Group etiquette...

OK.  Then I'm a kick-everyone's-ass-who-gets-in-my-way hawk ;-)

As for social stuff... do what ever rings your chime, just don't do it
to me... otherwise I exercise those rights implied by the CCW permit
;-)

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

No, you idiot. Taxation is theft. If property is theft, then to whom are
we supposed to turn it over? The government? Wouldn't that make them the
biggest thief of all?

Gawd, how stupid can you statists get?

Thanks,
Rich

Re: Group etiquette...
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:59:30 +0000, Raveninghorde

I got a more freedom loving score than you did.

Re: Group etiquette...

Groups of supporters of 'civil liberties' are in the left camp.

--
Adrian C

Site Timeline