Group etiquette...

Hi all. Can someone tell me where to find a document covering the "rules of the road" for sci.electronics.design? I hope to make contacts here that could lead to paying design jobs, but I want to make sure that I behave in an "acceptable fashion."

Thanks in advance! Kip

Reply to
Kip Ingram

Here is a FAQ, but it includes mainly technical guidance:

This is a pretty good newsgroup as far as Usenet goes. There are a few people who profanely snipe at each other, but they are not difficult to ignore.

As long as you don't spam the group and at least try to bring something of value to the group, you will be appreciated.

Reply to
Gary Peek

This group is for the right wing political discussions. You should express the hatred to the leftist weenies, warmingists, europeons and muslems at least once a week. Democratic views are not acceptable, libertarians are barely tolerated.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Since you're using Pan and aren't posting through GoogleGroups (the gmail address notwithstanding) you're presumably knowledgeable about general usenet behavior. Such as, endless meta-threads on whether or not "behavior" is the correct spelling...

Reading/lurking for a couple of weeks should allow you to identify the local trolls/sock-puppets/guys-who-need-better-meds, etc.

AFAIK, there isn't a formal charter for the group. Speaking only for myself, posting of resumes, situations wanted/available isn't encouraged (but, hey! it's usenet). If you think you're a fit somewhere, based on what you infer from postings, an off-line contact may be in order. If you become a reg (more signal than noise) there may be more general interest in lending a hand.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

You need to ask Phil, he will set you right. Mike

Reply to
amdx

Just pretend you're at a party. :)

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Pretend? ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Rich Webb wrote:

If that is a gross assumption--or for anyone else who stumbles upon this thread and isn't aware here are some Netiquette Guides:

*-*-*-*-faq+*-*-*-*-compelling-reason-why-you-shouldn't-rea=d-*-*-*-the-newsgroup+imply+correct+you.post+*-*-expected-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*=-*+read-at-least-a-week's-worth-of-postings-*-*-*
*-*-*&strip=3D1

That and more is covered in the links I provided.

Au contraire.

*-*+o=nly.advertise+*-design-of-*-circuits+sci.electronics.design-*-*-design+comb=ining.components.into.circuits+the.rec.hierarchy+*.*.not.a.forsale.group+zz=

-zz+Discussion Permalink: ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/m/mzenier/seguide9706.txt

A topic that isn't specifically covered in the charter is the *call for papers* meme. If those idiots had something of general interest to the group they could post *that* and **in their sigs** put a note about how to sign up for their own mailing lists to be kept abreast of developments on that particular topic. ...but those lameoids never actually PARTICIPATE in the group, so that won't happen.

Reply to
JeffM

Rich, if you insist on wearing that lampshade on your head, the least you could do is to cross-post to sci.engr.lighting.

-- Paul Hovnanian snipped-for-privacy@hovnanian.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Have gnu, will travel.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian PE

[snip...snip...]

You forgot (or maybe you're too young to remember ;-) Emily Postnews.

It's kind of dated (example: "Give independent addresses for Internet, UUCP, and BITNET, even if they're all the same.") but classic snark, nonetheless.

Holy crap! Although "Discussions relevant to the design of electronics circuits" *is* a rather thin reed.

But papers are important! If there were no papers, there'd be no presentations. Without presentations, there'd be no conferences. Without conferences, there's no excuse to party/golf/slack/get out of town for two or three days on an expense account. ;-)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Rich Webb wrote:

I qualify for AARP, but I don't remember using stone knives and bear skins like some here.

I've never encountered that one before, but it is a hoot.

Snarky indeed. 8-)

::

*-*+only.advertise+*-design-of-*-circuits+sci.electronics.design-*-*-design+combining.components.into.circuits+the.rec.hierarchy+*.*.not.a.forsale.group+zz-zz+Discussion

Yeah. Many would be surprised to read that. ...but I do note your *slack* comment below.

8-)
Reply to
JeffM

... where there is a lot of booze and political rants.

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

And knock-down-drag-out pissfests over which is the One True Faith - Anti-Smokerism or Global Warmingism. >:->

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

God makes people smoke in a warm globe. :P

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

"baer"ly tolerated??? Hmph!

Reply to
Robert Baer

This group is a technical group that has a history of culturally tolerating political discussions in addition to the technical on-topic ones.

Many of the longtime regulars are electrical engineers, who on average tend to be somewhat disproportionately somewhere or somewhere else in the right hand side of the political spectrum. It appears to me that a least a couple of the longtime regular EEs participating in the political discussions own their own businesses - and EEs owning their own businesses tend to be hit with enough frustration with taxes and tax law and regularatory requirements to support their political leanings being anywhere from conservative to "wingnut".

The one I see being the most noted libertarian here is also one of these rightwingers. Modern libertarianism surely appears to me somewhere on the right hand side of the political spectrum.

A couple recent AGW-skeptical posters in global warming threads appear to me to have come here from global warming threads being crossposted to other newsgroups where discussion on global warming is "more on-topic". However, s.e.d. has for a long time included political threads on AGW.

Don Klipstein

The sanest tamest most-on-topic newsgroup I have seen? Largely lacking political threads? And impressively free of the likes of the one who uses the word "retard" as a noun and "retarded" to describe ideas and points of view, Phil Allison and the (thankfully not infecting s.e.d.) Rod Speed?

Don Klipstein

libertarian means rightwing. were he left-wing the term would be 'anarchist' and not 'libertarian'.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

and the faq says

You can't be libertarian and left wing

This is almost exclusively an American response, overlooking the undoubtedly libertarian tradition of European anarcho-syndicalism. It was, after all, the important French anarchist thinker Proudhon who declared that property is theft.

Of course this site has no authority at all. Apparantly I'm a left of centre social libertarian, -1.4, -1.8. I'm clearly in denial of my true self.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

Groups of supporters of 'civil liberties' are in the left camp.

--
Adrian C
Reply to