google earth is weird

Why is there an airplane sticking out from this building?

And why is there a tree that doesn't exist?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Why is there an airplane sticking out from this building?

And why is there a tree that doesn't exist?

Count your blessings. Melbourne disappeared altogether, I ubderstand. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I can't do anything with the airplane, but the fake 3D trees can be eliminated by going to: Tools -> Options -> 3D View In the "Terrain" section, uncheck "Use 3D Imagery".

I also suggest that you go to: Tools -> Options -> Navigation and select "Do not automatically tilt while zooming" so that Gargoyle Earth acts in a more sane manner while zooming.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

That's a good one. The auto-tilt is really annoying.

lunatic fringe electronics

I kinda like the 2 level side walks.

Martin Riddle

What gets me is the flying conch.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

You'd fly too if an airplane were chasing you across Potrero Avenue.

The buildings seem to be collapsing too.

lunatic fringe electronics

That didn't work the way I expected. Some cities have the 3D buildings that were created by volunteers many years ago using Google Building Maker: I did my office building and a few odd radio sites. Google then decided it had a better way. They would use 3D photos from satellite and aircraft images, and generate their own 3D images. The buildings and trees are examples of these generated 3D images, which in my never humble opinion, are generally quite good. However, they're not perfect, as your example shows.

If I disable the fake 3D trees, I also disable the generated 3D building images, resulting in a very flat looking 2D landscape. Since the 3D buildings and trees are generated independently, it might be possible to obtain better fine grain control and turn on/off whichever

3D features are needed, instead of turning on/off all the 3D features with one checkbox.

Also, I played around with the image as seen from your location. The airplane is also an artifact of the generated 3D buildings. It looks like an elevated shadow of one of the nearby trees, but I'm not sure. It goes away when 3D is turned off.

Yep.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I like the basic images where a building seems to be leaning one way and the building right next to it is clearly leaning the opposite way. The shadow also goes in a different direction. I haven't seen one yet where the seasons are different on opposite sides of the street.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Could be worse, like this UFO sticking out:

Yesterday during a long bike ride I dropped into a pub and brought home a growler of "Count Your Blessings Belgian Single" :-)

It'll only be there a few days, they change the home page all the time when kegs run out and new brews get ready.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Also, Google maps have the habit of placing a business in the middle of a parking lot.

Reply to
Robert Baer

The building front probably didn't come from a satellite, so maybe they have merged Street View data somehow. It is better to tolerate the trees and the airplane, in exchange for a better rendering of the building.

lunatic fringe electronics

Agreed. Some clues on how it was done, although the exact methods are probably a Google secret: "These new automated building generators were used to fill most of the neighborhoods in San Francisco, for example."

"The never-ending quest for the perfect map"

Combining Street View and aerial photography might produce some odd results because the two photos were taken at different days and times. Shadows, reflections, and movable objects (vehicles) will all be different in the two views. The "airplane" in the building might be the roof of a bus or an odd shadow.