Good source(s) for enclosures / cabinets?

I took all my retirement accounts out of stocks and moved them to bonds. I think the market is ready for problems.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Lol! When the markets are good Trump supporters crow how good he is for business. When the market retreats they talk about how markets are not in anyone's control. lol

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

But you yourself still run Windows, no? Yes, I thought so.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Extrusions are horrible. They are expensive and hard to machine and often drool metal shavings into the electronics from the self-tapping screws.

I like the look of our blue boxes. They are easy to work on too, by design.

 Click to see the full signature

Maybe someone can make a version of spice run on this:

Arm-based supercomputer prototype to be deployed at Sandia National Laboratories by DOE

Chisolm
Republic of Texas
Reply to
Joe Chisolm

Tom, you're a couple of years off: My S/360 Principles of Operation manual is from year 1964 (54 years ago).

--

-TV
Reply to

Indeed; which emphasises the point :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Problem I see is that ARM was sold to Japan's SoftbankGroup in 2016, that may make ARM a security risk.

;-)

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

mpm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

A much better "station" : http://148.163.81.10:8006

Zenith classic rock

It is a radio station out of Ireland. They play entire album sides from the seventies...

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

WOW! Johnny! You are a true statistical maven, pal... NOT!

How long did it take you to come up with such a retarded crack?

So, is it 99/100 or 1/100?

The only number that would make it NOT a fraction is ZERO.

A two year old could reason that.

Oh... That's right... we were all supposed to just know what you meant by that.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

ar

Those pesky, vital CAD applications... you try open sourcing them out... you try scrubbing them out, and still...

You get windows around the collar!

I am sorry, but serious CAD applications are Windows based applications.

Serious, real engineers do not piss and moan about the OS... they piss and moan about the application features they want incorporated into the next release of their app. Because they do more then just lay down a few lines. One does not see many of them claiming that NASA was a waste of money either.

Yeah... he runs Windows, and then cries about "x86" underpinnings.

I am on a Xeon laptop with a Quadro GPU, and the thing is practically a supercomputer. A 4K display and it feeds on via HDMI. One could not ask for much more.

And I can boot linux on it and run any of thos apps as well.

What the Larkin jerk spends his life pissing and moaning about it all for is beyond me.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Tuesday, June 19, 2018 at 5:46:26 PM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt Christensen w rote:

as I understand it).

osest "ideas" (if you want to call them that) that I've come up with involv e modifying aluminum extruded-type cabinets, but I haven't found one a) lar ge enough, or b) semi-custom off the shelf.

ch business.

ho) via my Alexa as I type this so please forgive the rambling. :) All he lp appreciated!!!!

Maybe 'the look' is a European thing? We sell stuff in wooden boxes. In the US, customers mostly like 'the look'. But we had complaints from some in Europe, that they wanted it to look more modern.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

onsdag den 20. juni 2018 kl. 16.38.43 UTC+2 skrev George Herold:

c, as I understand it).

closest "ideas" (if you want to call them that) that I've come up with invo lve modifying aluminum extruded-type cabinets, but I haven't found one a) l arge enough, or b) semi-custom off the shelf.

arch business.

ucho) via my Alexa as I type this so please forgive the rambling. :) All help appreciated!!!!

per

is

red

I think it is, to me a lot of American stuff that isn't from some more "int ernational" company often looks like it was designed in the 70-80s and never updated

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yes, there are very different ideas about fashion on the two sides of the pond. Google "gay or European?" :)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

c, as I understand it).

closest "ideas" (if you want to call them that) that I've come up with invo lve modifying aluminum extruded-type cabinets, but I haven't found one a) l arge enough, or b) semi-custom off the shelf.

arch business.

ucho) via my Alexa as I type this so please forgive the rambling. :) All help appreciated!!!!

per

t is

pared

"international" company often looks like it was designed in the 70-80s

jeans modeled after a cardboard box, white socks and new balance shoes you know it is an American ;)

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

You're too easily horrified. Extristons are cheap compared to finished-goods metal of other designs, easy to machine (it's aluminum, not titanium or stainless), metal shavings come from LOTS of metalwork processes, and 'self-tapping' isn't an extrusion requirement, just a common shortcut.

Best of all when the box has to be a bit bigger to accommodate the new feature, just make your extrusion cuts an inch or so farther apart.

Reply to
whit3rd

As I expected, this thing might turn out to be some sort of aluminum extrusion box. One of junior engineers (also working on this issue) has scheduled a meeting for tomorrow to review several options -- all of which are extrusions.

Fine by me. And I have the luxury of reserving judgment. Of course, I'm not really all that vested in the outcome, as long as sales don't suffer.

I was at the point of suggesting extrusions anyway. :)

Reply to
mpm

Not at all. They're dirt cheap, in sufficient quantities (not that many, actually). If you're getting metal shavings in the guts, you're using the wrong screws. There's no need to cut threads in aluminum. The screws should just deform the aluminum.

So is a properly designed extrusion, though castings are even easier (to both design and work on).

Reply to
krw

White socks go with my white or gray New Balance shoes and jeans. For my black and brown New Balance shoes, I wear black socks. ;-)

New Balance is the only company that makes shoes that fit my feet. Don't worry, I wouldn't think of offending any Europeons by visiting.

Reply to
krw

The Hammond boxes, with their own screws, make shavings and dump them into the interior of the box. The way their extrusions work, it's hard to tap the slots... it breaks taps.

Show us some instrument box that you've designed.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature