good books for lockdown reading

is it Some sort of no-leads power socket?

otherwise "chip-quik" is magic for desoldering tricky parts.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

If after WW2 era stories, don't forget "Most Secret War" by R.V. Jones head of British Scientific Intelligence. ("The Wizard War" in the US).

I read it when it first came out in the 70s, and again a couple of years ago. It stands the test of time.

The only notable omission is Enigma, which hadn't quite become public knowledge, and which he wasn't involved in.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

mere testaments to some senior officer's ego.

I've enjoyed books from the time that I learned to read. I hated to read a book, just for a book report, so I would use one that I'd already read. I wrote a report on 'Silent Running, four years in a row. It was my favorit e WW II book, and one of my uncles was Ships Electrician aboard a sub. He w as responsible for the firing controls on their nuclear tipped missiles. My other favorite book in the school library was an old copy of the ARRL hand book.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Try "Wake of the Wahoo".

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

experience of a German submarine.

The 1981 (!gulp!) TV series was and is superb, so maybe the original book is good.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The Invention That Changed The World by Buderi

Tuxedo Park, Conant

The Deadly Fuze, Baldwin

Better read fast, this flu may peak soon.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

I'm currently reading one on the Wahoo: "Wahoo: The Patrols of America's Most Famous World War II Submarine" by Richard O'Kane. It's OK. Maybe a 6 out of 10?

I've tour-visited several WW-II boats / sub museums over the years:

From memory: The Pampanito, Drum, Bowfin, Batfish, Cavalla, Torsk, and Requin*. I've missed getting to see the U-505 a couple of times now in Chicago.

Requin when it was in Tampa ages ago (now in Pittsburgh) I think Pampanito was my favorite. The curators did a really nice job with self-guided tour, and the boat looked to be in very good condition!!

Just prior to that, was a bit of a break from submarines. "Ten Tea Parties - Patriotic Protests that History Forgot" by Joseph Cummins. I'd give that one maybe a 7/10.

Reply to
mpm

I have a signed copy of that one. He still hadn't got over his fury with his first captain, McMillan or something.

I quite like Eugene Fluckey's "Thunder Below". (I have a signed copy of that one too.)

"Wake of the Wahoo" is unique in that it was written by an enlisted man. It has a much grittier feel than the rather decorous picture of sub life that you get from the officers' books.

I've only been to the Growler, which lives in the Hudson next to the Intrepid.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I you ever have a flight stopover in Honolulu, take a taxi to Pearl Harbor.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I went with my parents when I was a kid. Lots of folks there remembered the day.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

1981 feature-length motion picture 2018 TV series.
--
  Jasen.
Reply to

Imdb is inaccurate on this. The 1985 variant shown doesn't make sense if you look at the episodes!

I definitely saw it on TV in the 80s in a series of episodes. I haven't seen the cinema nor have I seen the 2018 variant.

Hence I believe Wackypedia is more accurate: A version of six 50-minute episodes was transmitted on BBC2 in the United Kingdom in October 1984

Tom Gardner