good book, slightly on-topic

One Child, by Mei Fong. This is about the history and consequences of the insane Chinese one-child policy. It's in the first person; the author spends time with real victims of the program.

Two things are sort of on-topic.

One is the nature of the spoiled brats that the policy created, a generation of "Little Emperor" non-risk-takers.

The other is how the policy was born. This was in the heyday of cruel Malthusian stupidity like Ehrlich's "The Population Bomb" book and Mao's Cultural Revolution. Mao emptied the universities and industries of all the smart people and sent them out to farm millet or something. But he wanted ICBMs, so the only scientific institution untouched was the rocket scientists. Some of them decided to do social engineering and wrote some population simulation models to run on their primitive computers. They decided that the only way to prevent population catastrophe and widespread starvation was one-child; Mao was doing a pretty good job on the starvation thing already. They ignored the few social science people who objected, because computer models are obviously perfect.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yes, and anyone who would rely on models to, for example, predict tomorrow's weather or design an electronic circuit would be a fool...

Reply to
Don Y

"Yes, and anyone who would rely on models to, for example, [...] design an electronic circuit would be a fool..."

Really? Then how do you propose to design a multi-thousand device chip? ...Jim Thompson

My girlfriend teaches ESL at a large university in Boston, and many of her students are the college-age children of wealthy Chinese citizens, both members of the Party and from the business world.

She says as students they come in all types, good, bad, and indifferent, as you might expect. On average it does seem the ones who come from more business-oriented families have less of the "Little Emperor" mentality and are more eager to learn and assimilate, vs. those descended from Party ranks.

It's certainly a myth that all Asian students are somehow academic superstars.

Having both PRC students and Taiwanese students in the same class can be interesting; apparently the Taiwanese students mostly just lean back in their seats, sigh, and roll their eyes heavily whenever the mainland students give their very interesting opinions on that situation.

The biggest issue from a logistics standpoint is smartphone usage during class - it's so problematic these days that the policy the department has instituted is a student gets one verbal warning per semester, and after that the professor just silently knocks off X number of points from the student's semester participation grade every time she sees it happen again. Savage, but the policy is no secret, and if the parents come complaining about a grade issue, it throws the responsibility back onto them.

China does have a pretty big problem in that they have something like

40% of the world's population with 7% of the world's arable land. They need us a lot, if they want to eat.

bitrex

PS: if you have baller money in China you can have all the kids you like.

Reply to
bitrex

That's in the book: if you have an extra kid, you can pay a fine.

Get your GF the book; I think she'd like it.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

An overly simplified narrative to be sure, not least of which the fact that Mao was long dead by the time the policy was implemented by his successors, who had ousted the Gang of Four and worked to reverse many of the Cultural Revolution's policies.

Mao said at one time that an unrestricted birth rate "empowered the country" and worked against earlier attempts by the Party to institute organized family-planning. Other times he seemed to be in favor of population control. Like most leaders with a "cult of personality" around them, he was consistently inconsistent about just about everything.

Reply to
bitrex

One of the many aspects of reality that Jim Thompson is out of touch with is the one that includes sarcasm.

Don Y was sending up John Larkin, not supporting his fatuous delusions.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

How is this even remotely On Topic in an Electronics newsgroup?

Reply to
doh

Risk-takers invent things and design circuits. I don't have any Chinese competition, and don't expect any. The Little Emperors seem to be risk-adverse.

And the believability of computer simulation of dynamic systems is a serious issue in our world.

Both should be obvious.

What have you designed lately?

Why is it always the lurkers, and the people who don't design electronics, who complain about the group content?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Why have the Chinese not copied your products and put them on the market at half price?

Why do you feel they will not do so in the future?

Reply to
Steve Wilson

It's hard to cut the cost of service in half.

His business isn't copying others.

Reply to
krw

It's my impression that JL's stock and trade is high-mix, low volume boutique widgets with obscure (at least to me) purpose, with big baller cost and big baller margins - it doesn't seem like exactly the area that the Chinese would be interested in getting into the knockoff biz on, as the cost of reverse engineering and setting up production of knockoffs would likely be a substantial fraction of what the market could generate in profits.

Reply to
bitrex

As I understand, his cost of service is close to zero. The Chinese can easily match that.

Non sequitur.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

You obviously don't understand much.

You obviously don't understand much.

Reply to
krw

Maybe because the market is too small. Maybe because they couldn't market them. Maybe because they don't understand them.

They haven't so far. We see a little competition for scientific and aerospace instrumentation from Europe, a tiny bit from Japan, basically none from anywhere else.

You would think that the Chinese (and Brazilian) space and aircraft industries would need instrumentation. I don't know where they get it from.

lunatic fringe electronics

Well, it looks like they have their own local instrument developers.

The CETC (China Electronics Technology Corporation) has a subsidiary that produces RF and microwave instruments ("The 41st Institute").

If one looks at their website

right on the main page they show a quite nice 3 Hz to 50 GHz spectrum analyzer (AV4051H), with lots of signal analysis and demodulation capabilities, that is expandable with external transverters up to 325 GHz.

With these capabilities, they should be able to come up with decent instruments of other types and for other uses too.

However I'm not sure if equipment of this sort is even exported. They surely have their own version of ITAR and various national security related export restrictions. Plus if you somehow manage to get one anyway, and by some carelessness happen to fry its input mixer or something, any attempt to send it back to the manufacturer for repair will most likely put you in jail, thanks to your own country's rules.

Reply to
Dimitrij Klingbeil

The climate simulations that John Larkin doesn't believe in are suspect bec ause they don't suit the fossil carbon extraction industry. James Arthur be lieves their propaganda because his politics are right wing, and John Larki n foolishly believes that James Arthur knows what he is talking about.

Both of them are gullible suckers, albeit for different reasons.

John Larkin actually tinkers, but calls it design.

They aren't aware that this is primarily a social forum, and that John Lark in - as the guy who posts most content - feels free to set the tone.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Probably because John sells bespoke electronics for a niche market which isn't all that large.

It's more copying himself with minor variations. He has said here that his average development time is about a fortnight.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You waste my time. PLONK