GM Is Dropping the Volt

Don't think it matters much from an individual consumer's perspective, attempts at campaigns to reject luxury/cool product X on arguments of jingoism are rarely successful.

If it's cool to drive a Buick in China Chinese consumers will buy 'em it doesn't matter much what politics is going on. See also America, BMW, Mercedes.

Reply to
bitrex

That is to say all-out war might stop the flow for a little while, but not for long

Reply to
bitrex

Still has the 10 second 0-60 time problem. This isn't an issue for a lot of drivers. The Volt's is more like 7 seconds or slightly less, it's the difference between a car that you have to drive and a car that's really fun to drive.

I tried the Prius Prime it was okay. I got the Volt on how enormously fun it is to zip away from a red light with the dash power bargraph meter hitting 100 kilowatts output power to the powertrain and a very satisfying soft "Skreeeeeee!" rising tone coming from the main drive motor sucking down the juice, like something from Star Trek. other than totally silent just the tire noise and warm summer breeze coming in the window.

It's a different experience than any other hybrid or plug-in hybrid I've driven before, very cool and unique and it would probably still be in production if more people who were considering a Prius were able to have it.

Reply to
bitrex

Even not taking part in a war can curb consumption of goods from certain countries. I remember when France refused to participate in military action after 9/11 a lot of people in this area where so p....d that they refused to buy anything French. They stuck to that for more than a year and those were people who otherwise really liked expensive French Cognac, cheese and so on.

Right now the Chinese government made sure that less people will be able to afford an American car, so sales go down.

Of course, a guy who is hellbent on buying a Mustang GT with the full Roush kit to impress the ladies will buy one no matter what. But sales in general go down.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

A very American thing to do. If Americans had wanted to do something meaningful after 9/11 they could have stopped buying Saudi oil en masse, they were the ones who did it after all! Wasn't the flippin' French they wanted to stay out of that Afghanistan mess like smart people.

Why we ever sent these Saudis a single penny ever again for anything after that one I couldn't tell ya.

Always go on a first date in the most pedestrian car you own. For me that's the Volt and my Volt has probably seen more young lady butts in the passenger seat than the majority of Mustangs out there. :)

Reply to
bitrex

If they sell more EVs worldwide it can only be for the good, time to make these terrorists go get real jobs now. No time for terror when you have to work a real job.

Reply to
bitrex

Exactly. Tesla has been eating everyone's lunch for over a year without even having the car ready to sell!

Imagine if GM had tried doing that with the Bolt! lol I guess they could have raked in a million or so in reservation money.

Rick C.

Tesla referral code -+-

gnuarm.deletethisbit

Yeah, Tesla owners can get that same experience by keeping the car in "clas sic" mode (low acceleration) and playing a Star Trek track while hitting th e pedal. 100 kW is what I use when merging with traffic. A couple of seco nds or so and I'm from 40 to 60. 200 kW is what I use when I want to punch it. 400 kW is what I use for the pure thrill of driving a fast car. Then when I feel like letting my hair down, I turn on Ludicrous mode with 60% m ore torque. I've never looked at the kW consumed in Ludicrous mode. I'm t oo busy watching the road.

Talk about fun driving!!!

Rick C.

Tesla referral code -++

gnuarm.deletethisbit

Yeah I paid the same as a Prius Prime though, is the point

Reply to
bitrex

bitrex wrote in news:6_gLD.803302$ snipped-for-privacy@fx43.iad:

Sales model, not car model, you stupid f*ck. Lease only was a bad model. The car was fine.

Damn you are thick, boy.

As if your opinion of my correctness matters to me.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

ot

he

ve

ve

classic" mode (low acceleration) and playing a Star Trek track while hittin g the pedal. 100 kW is what I use when merging with traffic. A couple of seconds or so and I'm from 40 to 60. 200 kW is what I use when I want to p unch it. 400 kW is what I use for the pure thrill of driving a fast car. Then when I feel like letting my hair down, I turn on Ludicrous mode with 6

0% more torque. I've never looked at the kW consumed in Ludicrous mode. I 'm too busy watching the road.

Yeah, I know. It's a shame the really nice cars cost a bit more.

Rick C.

Tesla referral code +--

gnuarm.deletethisbit

$100,000 cars are non-affordable by 99% of the American population, that they should be luxurious and have incredible performance are requirements at that price point, it's non-optional. It's not a feature!

Reply to
bitrex

It wasn't lease only it was leased/financed/sold, as the customer preferred, off dealer lots the same as any other GM vehicle, from the outset.

Okay but you're still wrong, must have the Volt confused with some other car.

Reply to
bitrex

You know how new car sales at US new car dealerships works, right? You go into a big showroom with some nice cars on the floor and a lounge with leather couches and free Keurig-machine coffee and some dudes who try to rip you off?

It was sold that way like any other new-manufacture Chevrolet vehicle

Reply to
bitrex

For your edification here is a picture of a bunch of Volts in a row from a few years back. This is at a place called a _Chevrolet dealership_.

Those are new cars which you may purchase, finance, or lease (some of them were probably awaiting pickup) same as any other new cars on the lot. If you walked in with a suitcase with $35,000 in it and said you'd like to buy one of them that was available they would have said "Of course, certainly sir" and handed you the keys within an hour

Reply to
bitrex

rt of GM's cut backs.

ng production of the Chevy Volt

with a lot going for it. I'm sorry to see it go. I wonder why sales were never very high?

this will help with the shortages of the larger surface mount passives.

ve driven in it many times. Pure electric, not hybrid, but quite impressive range, and a bargain here when the provincial government was kicking in $1

4K CAD subsidy and more for the charging station- recently cancelled by the Progressive Conservative party gov't.

y LG

.

f the

gh there is still the range anxiety issue - so better as a 2nd or 3rd car.

st

ne.

th GM's attitude toward them they won't be selling very fast even if they m ade them faster. GM just doesn't want to be in that business yet. Likely they don't want to play second fiddle to Tesla.. or third to Nissan... or f ourth to Jag... Well, you get the idea.

!

Anecdotally, and I don't know if it's true, one of the main attractions of making electrics and hybrids for US car makers is that it lowers their flee t gas consumption average to help them meet EPA standards, yet they can sell the high-profit gas-guzzling larger vehicles. If those standards are loosened, there is less attraction in selling the electrics.

--Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
speff

Historically in the US you hardly had to go to all the trouble of designing an electric or hybrid vehicle from the ground up to game that system, you just sell "flex fuel" vehicles that can run E85 (only requires some fairly inexpensive plumbing modifications) or build as many SUVs as possible on not-truck platforms to get them classified as not-trucks.

The rules were probably changed somewhat under Obama, the Volt was already well into the design phase when Obama was elected

Reply to
bitrex

One of the main attractions of electric vehicles for US car makers is that while from time to time they engage in real innovation, large US car-markers like Ford and GM are highly resistant to it, they hate it, they much prefer selling the same thing they always have at ever increasing prices.

Occasionally like around the time of the mid-2000s, when they have been backed into a corner and they have a gun to their head with their demise imminent they promise to change and "do better" and try something different. For a while they do and are sometimes decently successful at it, but time passes, management changes, and they slip back into their old habits as GM and Ford appear to be doing at the moment.

Reply to
bitrex

in

rime,

ures.

tanding

ed.

e.

There's a Musk video where he claims to have been weeks from going belly up on the model 3. I think, as with all products, time will tell.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Trump is pissing into the wind here. He doesn't have a dime's bit of leverage on GM at this point who will surely close all those plants on schedule, leaving all those Real America workers out of a job and tell him to f*ck himself.

call it "Obama's Revenge" - GM bailout kept US auto workers employed long enough to ensure a second term victory for him. On Trump's watch is when they end up becoming a liability (as they always actually thought of them.) Good luck pal

Reply to
bitrex