glasses

The Zenni web site is a nightmare. Does anyone recommend some other site to order prescription glasses?

lunatic fringe electronics

I've never had trouble ordering from them but there's also EyeBuy and GlassesUSA. I've never used either but GlassesUSA seems expensive, compared to Zenni.

Reply to
krw

All I ever use is ZenniOptical.com. I've shopped around for a better and/or cheaper source, but haven't found one. I suggest you stay with Zenni.

The Javascript encrusted site is a bit of an obstacle course instead of a useful tool, but it's not impossible to navigate. What saves me lots of time is having multiple prescription variations saved (reading, driving, bifocal, etc). If I had something to complain about, it would be the lack of industrial type prescription glasses, such as safety and brazing glasses.

They also have a free support phone number if you're stuck: (800)211-2105 5:00AM - 9:00PM PST every day There's also a chat feature, which is what I prefer. In the distant past, I had to chat with them to obtain replacement frames without lenses, which can now be ordered normally.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I prefer to go to a professional, but not the chain-store rip-offs. The seller at BJs is inexpensive and very good.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Of course one goes to a professional for the tests but lenses are pretty much all the same. There are expensive lenses that are marginally better than what's available at the online sellers but for the most part, they're all the same. I've found Zenni's frames to be pretty cheesy, though.

Reply to
krw

I couldn't find a path to checkout. It kept asking for the same data. The chat lady said to run another browser.

The site is a mess.

lunatic fringe electronics

I got a trial lens set and make my own prescriptions. It's better than anything any optometrist has ever done. They like to optimize each eye individually, looking straight ahead, and don't seem to understand that most people use two eyes and move around.

lunatic fringe electronics

Try flushing the cache on whatever browser you're using. Make sure you clear the entire cache, not just the recent stuff.

Maybe. I've seen worse. I ordered a pair of their cheapest to test my latest prescription tweaks about 3 months ago. I didn't have any problem with their web pile.

Incidentally, one of the main reasons I use Zenni is that they don't insist on a copy of the original prescription, proclaim that it has expired, or insist that the prescription be exactly what's inscribed by the optometrist.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Curious logic. I do think that optometrists are aware that people have two eyes, and that each eye rotates in it's socket - I've got continuous grid m ultifocal lenses in my spectacles, which depend on the idea that I'll tilt my gaze up look through the bit of the lens that will focus each eye at inf inity, and tilt it down to look through the bit of the lens that will focus the eye on a book in my hand.

Each eye has its own lens, projecting onto the back of a different eye-ball , so it strikes me as sensible to chose different corrective lenses for eac h eye to get the sharpest image on the back of each of the two different ey e-sockets.

In my case, one eye is short-sighted and the other astigmatic, so each requ ires rather different correction. As a kid - before I got glasses - I used one eye or the other, but I can still do binocular fusion and see the "dep th" in those pairs of checker board patterns designed to test for it, so pr esumably the brain can cope with differing images.

John Larkin seems to be venting one of his implausible and poorly articulat ed theories here. Maybe he just doesn't like optometrists.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Do you pull your own teeth too?

Reply to
David Brown

I find that my eyes change a little maybe even from day to day, and the optometrist's spot measurement is not that useful. Of course, the eye examination is important.

I have a range of disposable contact lenses between -6.25 and -7.5 which I use depending on what I'm going to be doing and how my eyes are focussing that day. I uses glasses mostly during the working day, and I get fixed -8.0 rather than the prescription. If they're a bit strong, I push them down my nose a little. If I need to read something across the room, they go up or tilt forward. If I want to focus on a PCB at 5" away, they come off.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

two eyes, and that each eye rotates in it's socket - I've got continuous gr id multifocal lenses in my spectacles, which depend on the idea that I'll t ilt my gaze up look through the bit of the lens that will focus each eye at infinity, and tilt it down to look through the bit of the lens that will f ocus the eye on a book in my hand.

For surface mount work, I take off my glasses - the short-sighted eye works fine. A binocular microscope works better, if it is handy.

Astigmatism-correction needs the cylindrical axis of the correction lens li ned up right. If you can get that with a contact lens, nobody has bothered to tell me about it. The newest pair of spectacles (and the lenses to go in them) were justified on the basis the axis of astigmatism in my astigmatic eye had rotated a bit - the new lens gives me appreciably sharper vision w ith that eye than it had with the last set, and both eyes are now equally s harp again.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Not exactly comparable. Pulling teeth is something you might do for yourself. Filling cavities, fitting crowns and putting in titanium implants isn't something that you could do for yourself - you really couldn't do it well no matter how hard you tried.

I'm waiting to hear how John Larkin used a pulsed laser to reshape his own cornea - that would be taking over-confident do-it-to-yourself to Trumpian levels.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yup. I have two different sets of bifocals, one for reading (+.75) and a laptop (+1.5), the other for reading (+.75) and close work (+2.25).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On Mar 11, 2018, John Larkin wrote (in article):

The one-eye-at-a-time approach usually works, but I did have it fail on one prescription. The glasses were perfectly made, but the prescription was wrong.

There is a standard solution - one can ask for the both-eyes-open final test and trim.

. I had one other problem of note: My astigmatism cylinder axis rotated quickly as a cataract developed in the left eye, and undermined the worse/same/better cycle used when fitting glasses using that impressive mechanical thing one looks through.

The ophthalmologists were using two test points, being above and below the current focus, the answer being used as the sign of the gradient pointing towards the best focus. This usually works, on the assumption of little change between prescriptions. But the rotation was too fast, and yielded Same

- which is to say that far off focus, inserting and removing or flipping their little delta lens made no obvious difference. In other words, they could not tell perfectly in focus from wildly out of focus, so a sudden large change would put them into the weeds.

The problem was discovered when on a hunch or whim I commandeered the control knob to find the null, and noticed that the middle point was not in focus, and so widened the search from maybe ten degrees to the full circle. The axis had rotated by 100 degrees over the years.

The solution was to start with an automatic refractometer to get into the correct region before doing the traditional better/same/worse cycle. And to replace the now cloudy lens.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Yes, they exist. The lenses are oval rather than circular, to make sure they stay aligned. I've never tried them.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

How is that possible looking through a giant fixed machine? Last two prescriptions I got from pros, the glasses were unusable. The astigmatism correction in both eyes were individually perfect, but the net optical effect was wild when I wore the glasses in real life. My own prescriptions do either mild or no astig correction and work great.

Replace the lens. It's (usually) no big deal.

lunatic fringe electronics

I'm not sure this is for real, but it's been around for many years.

"Affordable In-Home LASIK Surgery You Can Do Yourself!"

"Do It Yourself Laser Eye Surgery Kit for $100"

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

How can it go wrong, it has endorsements! And it was last updated in 2006...

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

That wouldn't be physically practical, and I've never had to pull an adult tooth anyhow. I certainly did that when I was a kid.

But I've had several medical disgnoses that were flat wrong, and I've had to fix things myself. The psoriasis and presby larynx conditions were declared by "experts" to be incurable; both were actually avoidable allergies. The larynx thing was complicated by one MD telling me to increase the nasal steroid that was causing the problem.

I think a study showed that about half of initial medical diagnoses are wrong. Another example of experts being wrong.

lunatic fringe electronics