Getting / recording sound from video (.MOV, .AVI)

Take a deep breath and start over again from the beginning. What exactly are you trying to do?

Reply to
Richard Crowley

It takes less time to register a DLL than it took you to type that sentence.

lists six programs for AVI to WAV...

VirtualdubMOD, River Past Video Cleaner, GoldWave, HeadAC3he, Virtualdub, Virtualdub-MPEG2

Reply to
Richard Crowley

"Total Recorder" seemed to work okay-dokey the one time I used it to capture streaming audio to MP3-- note it installs something in one of the usual registry location that runs at startup and keeps running, but you can easily delete that entry with regedit and it is not needed.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I concur with that assessment. I bought a license for Total Recorder a couple years ago. It worked then, and it still works today. Updates are free. It will allow you to record from any installed audio source, plus audio streams (e.g., playing audio clips from the internet, mpg files, etc.). Don't recall how much it cost, but it was dirt cheap considering what it can do. Check it out at

Cheers!!

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in

DaveM

I downloaded three different sound recorder software programs - all saying that they would record from "any" sound source. LIARS. #1: Blaze Audio RipEditBurn 2 Trial a) extra PITA of registration code via e-mail just to *try* b) would not and could not accept any video media type c) after uninstall it wanted to call back home (more BS) #2: Media Audio Capture a) installs but will nor work: get message like "WMP.DLL or dependencies missing or not properly registered" b) getting WMP.DLL and installing in the correct directory did *not* fix that. c) one should not have to jump those hoops to get a program to work, and in this case it was a total waste of time. #3: 3D MP3 Sound Recorder a) would not record, would not play back, only "sensed" input lines. b) total piece of trash.

Isn't there *anything* that !WORKS! as "advertised" ?????????????

Reply to
Robert Baer

FWIW, I've used this successfully:

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

Fine. Stop using Google. It will leave extra bandwidth for the rest of us who apply a bit more discernment to the results and don't take everything we read literally.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Not enough detail. Are these NTSC? PAL? How long are they? How many of them do you need to convert? Do you have budget for this or is it a freebie home job? A decent suggestion requires the answer to these and several other questions. What does "sound" mean? WAV? MP3? AIFF? What are you going to do with the sound file? We can't read you mind at this distance.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Yes.

Yes.

That is a function of how you use the software. The application by itself doesn't know what "preamble" and "trailer". Only *you* know that.

Probably. But can't answer for sure with such sketchy scenario.

This is why it would be helpful for you to describe what you are trying to do. We can spend weeks asking and answering details like this.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

If you choose to ignore what it takes to register a DLL file (even after being explicitly advised to do so), we probably won't be of much help to you.

Then you should notify VideoHelp that they (along with Google, apparently) are lying to people. Don't expect them to take you seriously.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

"Robert Baer" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net...

Perhaps this one works:

Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

Thousands of people use that software application successfully every day (including me). Most of us are not inclined to repeat back to you what you should have read in the instructions. Good luck.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Try audiograbber. It is freeware.

I used it for this and it worked very well--> "You can even record your vinyl LP's or cassette tapes with Audiograbber and make wav's or MP3's of them."

I have found this to be true, as he says on the site: "Another great thing with this software is that it does not put a single file in your windows directories! No DLL's, OCX's, device drivers, spyware, adware or whatever else that messes up the computer. Not a single entry in the registry or win.ini. If you delete the Audiograbber directory it's all gone, that's it! "

That is very rare these days, unfortunately.

mw

Reply to
mw

JimK

Thanks! They eXplicitly say they do what i need, rather than (like the others) lie and say "do it all" but do *not* mention video files at all. Furthermore,it is "small" enough that i can reliably download via POTS. This tells me that Google is not all that great..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Read the subject line.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Does "capture streaming audio" mean that it would get the audio from a playing AVI (or the like)? IE: i run "Total Recorder" and then run Windows Media Player and it will "record" the sound "only" - no blank preamble and no blank trailer (but if so, then it can edit that out)?

Reply to
Robert Baer

At least *they* do not lie and say they do it all. But it is clear that it will not handle video files.

Reply to
Robert Baer

As i said, i downloaded the DLL and the program still bitched. FWIW, it appears that none of theprograms you mentioned have video file capability.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Let me get this straight: "all *audio* sources" (emphasis added). That is the typical LIE that i have been dealing with. I have video type files; if it cannot open them, it is worthless to me.

Reply to
Robert Baer