Getting ELF Out of a Sound Card Using EMF Cancellation

PC audio editing software like Adobe Audition, Goldwave and Audacity is handy for signal generation. You can mix, modulate, add envelopes, etc. without building hardware.

One drawback is the inability of the sound card to pass ELF's.

The usual solution is to modulate the ELF on an audio carrier and then filter it back out.

However, I was wondering about a simpler solution as follows.

Generate an ELF sine wave in one channel and the same signal but anti-phase in the other. Amplitude modulate each with an identical audio signals in phase with each other.

The two signals are then applied to each side of split winding transformer (center to ground) so the currents oppose. The ELF's will add while the audio cancels leaving a "pure" ELF.

That's the concept. Can anyone see any problems?

Robert Miller

PS: I am having trouble with follow-up messages to this group. For some reason they do not appear in my newsreader. Apologies if they are not getting through.

Reply to
Robert Miller

Amplitude modulation is a nonlinear process (multiplication). A transformer is a linear process (addition and subtraction). How do you recover the original signal from that?

DC coupling from sound cards is well understood: just bypass the coupling capacitors on the board.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Tim Williams

Consider getting a PC soundcard with a SPDIF output (some desktop motherboard audio systems have them built-in), and then one of those inexpensive little SPDIF->line out DAC boards they sell on eBay. Then you can easily mess with the circuit and modify/remove coupling capacitors without messing up a nice internal sound card or audio interface

Reply to
bitrex

Wouldn't you then need a transformer capable of faithfully passing the ELF?

piglet

Reply to
Piglet

Still won't work because the real issue is that the SC is decoupled with a Cap for most of them.. Make a phase detector that nulls each other at the center freq and then you can modulate a higher freq carrier.. That is about the only sure way to get around it.

Using a PLL could also do it there by you can use the DC correction loop as your output but I think that involves even more components. also the other issues are that many on board cheap sound chips are not linear..

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

some soundcards will pass DC

anyone who unserstands sine waves.

Jasen Betts

That won't work.

The sum or difference of the two audio sine waves will still be a sine wave.

You'd have to rectify or synchronously demodulate (and filter) to turn a high frequency sine wave into low frequency.

Or just DC couple the sound card DAC.

lunatic fringe electronics

Modulating a tone with the ELF can certainly work, just use a basic envelope detector on the output to recover the ELF.

Of course this is all because elves don't fit through 3.5mm holes.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

What the F's an elf? I'm thinking I might not to 'pass one' myself. sounds painful.

:^) George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Hmm I meant might not *want* to pass one. never mind, GH

Reply to
George Herold

Gosh, why didn't I think of that?

lunatic fringe electronics

is

c.

dio

lope detector on the output to recover the ELF.

Use 2 channels and you could make it bipolar too, each channel delivering o ne polarity.

Theoretically, and less usefully I dare say, you could also produce arbitra ry bipolar waveforms with very low bandwidth by multiplying 2 af channels. Varying frequency & phase of those 2 could control the output fully. I'm no t spotting any upside though, the software would certainly be more complex.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

probably would be bad for your elf. Extra low frequency.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

ELF (excruciatingly low frequency) is 3 to 30Hz. As others have mentioned, the frequency response of the sound card is limited by the input and output coupling capacitors. You can DC couple them: "Simple Sound Card Unipolar DC Modification" "DC coupled soundcard DAC mod"

If you prefer to roll your own, replace the sound card with a VCO (voltage controlled oscillator). Feed your ELF signals into the DC input and either envelope detect or synchronously demodulate the higher frequency output. Or maybe try a lock-in demodulator: "THE LOCK IN MODULATION IN ULTRA LOW FREQUENCY APPLICATION"

More:

If you're doing Schumann earth resonance work at about 7.83Hz, this one might be interesting: "Synchronous extremely low frequency (ELF) receiver"

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

It amazes me that anyone here indulges the OP. He seems hopelessly infatuated with magical thinking about electromagnetism, and won't take science for an answer. It's such a waste of time. Point and laugh by all means, but please stop trying to teach him anything.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Oops. Never mind the AM envelope detector. The VCO outputs FM and will need an FM detector.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

actually..... Thinking more about it....

The old LM1496 chip.. Gilbert cell or the use of a balance mixer diode and transformer array.. Inject Left and Right channels at some freq like around 10KHz and output through a low pass filter.

Use the Lower side band. etc.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

ELF? Trying to talk to subs? Try green laser!

Reply to
sdy

You can FM the ELF onto a carrier, record that. Done in long-period seismometry all the time (because DC is so ... incompatible with tape recorders). Then, a little PLL demodulates it afterward.

Reply to
whit3rd

How ELF do you want?

Wouldn't it be easier to set the two channels of the sound card to produce f and f+df at the same amlpitude so that the sum of the two channels will beat at the required ELF and low pass filter to get the beat frequency at the amplitude of the original carrier wave (and the sound card decoupling can cope try 100Hz carrier) after rectifying.

Transformers don't have ideal behaviour.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown