Generating HT

So in an effort to relive my misspent childhood I'm trying to generate a few tens of kV by pulsing a coil but I'm not having any joy experiencing the jolts I would have expected. I'm using a MOSFET (BUZ100 if it makes any difference) the gate of which is pulsed by the output from a 555 timer at about 6Hz; ('on' about 20% of the time) The coil is being pulsed just fine according to the measurements I've made, but I can't detect any HT at all. I believe this is due to the use of a snubber diode I've connected across the source/drain to protect the FET. I'm sure I could get some shocks if I removed that diode, but then the FET would be blown to bits, I'd imagine. The relevant circuit fragment (I don't have one of those ascii editors so I'll have to describe it) is FET source connected to GND, its drain connected to one side of the coil (2H; 200Ohms dc resistance) then other end of coil to +12V, with the diode across from ground to drain as previously described ('p' of 'pn' junction of diode to GND of course). How can I rearrange this circuit to give me the jolts I desire? There must be a simple way of doing this, surely? Would a tap off the coil work?

TIA

Reply to
Chris

Get LTSpice fom Linear Technology webpages, learn to use it, and create your circuit on it.

--

-TV
Reply to

Youbetcha. Tap the coil way down and drive the tap. Or go to a junk yard and buy a spark coil off an old car.

Reply to
mike

What kind of coil?

If it's an auto ignition coil, charge a cap, a couple of uF of film cap, to around 400 volts, and dump it into the coil primary through an SCR. No snubber. A diode across the SCR, to allow reverse conduction, may make a fatter spark.

The old junkyard metal-case oil-filled coils are fabulous. A 2" arc is possible.

I used to dump oil caps into a coil through a thyratron tube. I had to add an oil-filled extension tube to the neck of the coil to stop the arc from climbing over the top and down into the the primary terminals. It would blow right through electrical tape.

lunatic fringe electronics

Ever build a Marx generator? The ones made of big high voltage resistors and old Soviet "doorknob" capacitors that boost the supply up to hundreds of thousands of volts can make some pretty sick foot long arcs...

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

k?

most ignition coil now are just driven with an IGBT, quite a few have them build in, dwell time a few millisecond for 5-10A primary current

primary voltage limited in case of a misfire by the IGBT clamping at ~400V

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

A steel-cored solenoid from a relay in this case. Some old ex-military job about 4" long by 3/4" thick. But I've tried others, including air- cored coils with lower parasitic capacitance and still no joy/pain. :)

Reply to
Chris

That won't make serious HV. With a snubber diode, it won't make any HV.

You need a step-up transformer to make serious zaps. A car ignition coil is one way to go. To make single bangs, charge a few uF of film cap to a few hundred volts and then manually connect it to the coil primary... through a couple of feet of test lead.

A voltage multiplier can make serious kilovolts of DC

given some moderately high AC voltage, preferably high frequency.

You can also make a poor-mans Marx generator: charge a bunch of capacitors and mechanically connect them in series. Hey, imagine charging a pile of doorknob caps and then dropping them down into a plastic tube, so they stack up in series.

Be careful.

lunatic fringe electronics

Isn't that the methodology employed in Taser design? Like so IIRC: HF exciter ---> current amp/buffer ----> step-up tranformer ---> CW multiplier (I think that's how it goes anyway).

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

ITYF the multiplier comes before the transformer. But I could be wrong...

Reply to
Julian Barnes

Can't be can it! Think about it.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It's a DC transformer, don't you know 8-) ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

There isn't such a thing is there, Jim?

Reply to
Chris

If your dc is just a short pulse a transformer can indeed transform it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

When the fet turns off, coil current flows through the diode, hence no voltage increase. Put the diode on the output side & a zener & it'll deliver something, but not EHT.

Set your relay vibrating & drive a small Tesla coil. They're not hard to make.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The question was put to the engineer, not the oil rag.

Reply to
Chris

Many people assume current has to be AC for a transformer to be able to step it up or down, but that's a "red herring" as you say I believe. What really matters is *change* in current. That is what generates a magnetic field and it matters not if that current flows only in one direction - provided it *changes* in amplitude (and for your purposes, the faster the better).

Reply to
Gunther Heiko Hagen

Seems like sort of splitting hairs...that just sounds like an AC current with a DC offset.

Transformers that are designed to carry a large DC current need to have large core structures with air gaps (to increase the reluctance of the magnetic circuit), or be made of something like powdered iron where the "gap" is intrinsic to the material, to avoid saturation of the magnetizing inductance.

Reply to
bitrex

** There is an intrinsic reverse diode in every power mosfet.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I guess the engineer that worked with one today won't help you then. Weird bloke.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr