Generating energy through resonance (like a bridge/wind/gravity)

Here is an idea:

If wind/gravity/resonance is capable of destroying an entire bridge then it should be possible to collect that massive energy and transform it into eletricity.

So perhaps add some dynamo's that start turning once such a bridge like construction starts to resonante ! ;)

Bye, Skybuck =D

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

It is. Obviously.

Bridges that resonate fail. Max output only occurs in strong winds, with no output most of the time. Designing a bridge to survive resonance is going to cost big. You've just imagined about the worst wind generator ever.

Never mind that resonance implies some Q, and extracting power kills Q.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Resonance does not generate power, it stores power. So the starting premise is faulty.

--

Rick C
Reply to

The movie of this collapse...

was often shown as a short subject at MIT's Kresge auditorium as an example of bad engineering and opposing partial credit grading ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Resonance doesn't generate energy.

If a bridge swayed enough to collect energy from the motion, the bridge would be unsafe. A correctly designed bridge doesn't oscillate from wind.

lunatic fringe electronics

Resonance is collected power from wind (non-moving bridges don't collect windpower). It can be extracted electromagnetically. It is however a 100% senseless idea.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

..but it's not that much energy. Resonance (stored energy) is what did in Galloping Gertie.

Extracting power (killing Q) from a resonating structure, like a bridge, is a good idea. ;-)

Reply to
krw

As soon as you tap it the resonance is gone. You can only take out the energy that is put in. Why would you want to let the energy store up then take it out at once?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Buildings do. But people don't like them swaying, so they add active dampers to reduce the sway. In other words, they use energy to counteract the energy added by the wind.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Designing a bridge that resonates then extracting the power is a braindead idea. It demonstrates a failure of the normal process of self criticism.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well, that too.