Generating a random noise file, a Linux example

Generating a random noise file, a Linux example. I needed some large amounts of random bytes to test some sort of link and data processing. Played aroune with 'apropos random' on Linux. Found this: openssl rand -out filename.

It looks pretty flat on the spectrum anayliser :-) It starts of sort of chaotic, but then it gets flat as ice. A useful tool.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

"Anyone who considers arithmetical methods of producing random digits is, of course, in a state of sin." - John von Neumann

--
Q:	What is purple and conquered the world?
A:	Alexander the Grape.

On a sunny day (Sun, 25 Sep 2011 19:14:54 GMT) it happened Chiron613 wrote in :

Interesting statement. I would think that ultimately most if not all systems can be mathematically described, so I think he was a bit dogmatic there. hehe :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

described,

--
Another asshole takes a fall,
and never blames it on her gall.

Oh, my, she cries: "Ultimately,
the things I preach must come to be."

And thinks that she's the god of noise
and thinks on any peak she'll poise?
Reply to
John Fields

processing.

If you really want random noise, insult a couple dozen Mac users. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

described,

If you don't know anything about electronics, you can try hacking bad dogrel.

John

data processing.

Ours are 2U rack mount devices which have NIST certifications, and are not in any way cheap.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

Hey, this is electronics design, right? Has anyone ever hacked into an ionization smoke detector and picked off the noise from the ion detector thingie and injected it into a PSRG somewhere?

Supposedly, radioactive decay is virtually _guaranteed_ random, maybe even the standard for "randomness."

BTW, that damn cat must be dead by now!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On a sunny day (Tue, 27 Sep 2011 14:59:46 -0700) it happened Rich Grise wrote in :

Well you gave the answer I did expect. You also show you do not follow physics.

I would have expected somebody to claim radioactive decay could be used to make a "pure random", note the quotes, stream. Bad luck for you, it was found radioactive decay depends (likely) on the neutrino flux from the sun, and shows a periodic change in sync with the earth position / rotation. Earlier papers [Russian] found a dependency on the orientation of the earth in the galactic plane. To translate that into your language: There is an AM modulation, so sidebands, that are very precisely known for radioactive decay. So much for random. This is what I referred to when replying to the other poster: Ultimately most processes can be mathematically described.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

data processing.

The rng in NetHack works just fine. :-)

Reply to
GooseMan

processing.

You mean PSEUDOrandom..

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Wed, 28 Sep 2011 20:30:31 -0800) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

data processing.

Yea, OK.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

data processing.

SSL random numbers are proved to be of cryptographic quality, though, so they're pretty much indistinguishable from real random numbers.

Also, of course, any finite-length string of true random numbers will have nonzero correlations, just because it's finite.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:19:43 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

data processing.

No problem, just gzip an infinte string ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

So, are you saying that you've found a method for predicting when the next alpha particle is going to be emitted from the americium in the smoke detector?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

When will the next ball of tar drip out of the viscosimeter the professor placed it into back in 1927?

SoothSayer

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Sep 2011 12:53:24 -0700) it happened Rich Grise wrote in :

Statistically yes. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

;-D