General question about EE textbook authors

Could someone on this newsfroup shed light on this ? Textbook authors on RF/microwave enginnering(Pozar, Harvey etc.,) are reluctant to examine the most general cases -- for example, in the xase of impedance matching with an L impedance matching circuit, they bypass the general case of source and load impedance BOTH having non-zero reactances. I remember deriving expressions for the L matching circuit in the general case myself as a student -- messy but definitely doable. I found at that time that the expressions for the Pi matching circuit were for the special case with load and source impedances being purely real. Why do the textbook authors shy away ?

Reply to
dakupoto

Because you have a finite amount of time, a finite page count, and you're anticipating a finite attention span from the student.

So you try to find examples that make your immediate point, but don't carry on for pages and pages of mathematical exposition.

My presumption in writing my one and only textbook was that a student who really wanted to know and was smart enough to figure it out would do so, as you did. The rest, presumably, would be happy with what was in the book.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services