gEDA + PCB quirks and problems...

Hi to all,

I've decide to try using open source tools for all my next, relatively simple designs.

After installation and tweaking I've came to the point, where I can get the vboard done from initial part definition through schematic to pcb, but I still have problems at many unpolished edges.

For example, when one defines a new element and save it into library map, gschem can't use it from then on until it is restarted. There is also no function "rescan all libraries" that could be helpful.

So I have to restart it after every element definition. Otherwise, it's not that bad. Hierarhical design etc etc, although scaning internal text based databases can be slowish.

There are many more gripes with pcb, but all seem solvable- except the same one as with gschem - it doesn't see new element in libraries until restart...

Reply to
Brane2

There are some other choices, which will not cost you money. Not "open source", but free to use, and likely much better than the geda stuff. There is Cadsoft Eagle, with restrictions to 2 layer boards of limited size, but very sufficient for "relatively simple designs". There is Designspark, no restrictions. There is PCB123, unrestricted except for the Sunstone lock-in (no Gerber files), and now there is also the NI, from Mouser, with no restrictions that I'm aware of. I have used Eagle & designspark, both work acceptably well in my opinion. Look around, there are less frustrating CAD tools out there...

-bill

Reply to
Bill Martin

I am aware of those, we have Licensed Protel ( which became ALtium in the meantime) etc etc.

I want open source solution so I can be independent of the manufacturer's choices and political decisions. gEDA is open, it is working, it uses open and human readable data formats etc etc. And, a few quirks aside, it si really not that bad.

And I want something that I can tweak and rework to my needs.

Reply to
Brane2

Ok, enjoy!

Reply to
Bill Martin

Try Kicad (

): open source, actively developed.

Reply to
Przemek Klosowski

I did, and it just isn't on my "wavelength"...

Reply to
Brane2

As was pointed out in the geda group, if you click on the "select component" icon, then click on the arrow-pair at the bottom of the resulting dialog box, then the libraries are rescanned and any new items will be accessible. That's in gschem. Not sure of how the equivalent is done in pcb - but then I invariably bring in components via the netlist (i.e. gsch2pcb), not directly.

Reply to
Frank Miles

It does seem to be the most advanced as far as open source is concerned. There are some nice videos, e.g. the interactive router:

--

John Devereux
Reply to