gap-pad

8.2 w/mK.
 Click to see the full signature

Not bad for 1mm. If we keep looking, we'll find the perfect thermal-pad interface material. I have a set of samples at this point. And a real problem, with small low-capacitance parts that need to dissipate more power! WE WANT MORE POWER.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Diamond. 2000 w/mK, Er 5.7

 Click to see the full signature

Yeah, great. But of course we need a flexible gap filler. Too bad parts are more uniform in height. Yes, we accept layers of material, but each dramatically raises thermal R.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

tirsdag den 26. februar 2019 kl. 02.13.56 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The graphite stuff only has high thermal conductivity in the X-Y planes, and it's usually very thin, and it's electrically conductive. All that severely restricts its utility.

Calculating its performance as a heat spreader would be a chore. It might be worse than using nothing. Only the super-thin stuff has high conductivity.

Real diamond would be a great 1st-level heat spreader for a small chip. It wouldn't take much.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

1600 W/m/K self-adhesive? To hell with the film, I want the glue!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

What about parts designed to dissipate the heat through a heat sink? We ha ve double sided PCBs. How about double sided devices that make the electri cal connection on one side, and the thermal connection to the other. You c an connect a heat sink of Al or Cu or if you don't need all that much maybe a PCB sandwich would be useful. One PCB with the electrical connections a nd another PCB with thick copper or maybe an AL core to be soldered to the top of the board for thermal connections.

The only fly in the ointment is that these parts would all need to be the s ame height (easy if they are the same package) so the board can be soldered to them all. I suppose this top board could be soldered by heating the bo ard rather than heating the parts.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Funny.

The adhesive is going to add theta in the Z axis, where the stuff is terrible already.

As a spreader, between a chip and a metal heat sink, the heat passes through the adhesive twice.

I can't envision any use for this stuff.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Only one mm thick. That's not a gap.

It is an interface pad.

We had 6 mm thick pads. A lot of that gets compressed at the device sinking interfaces.

It was so thick that it actually improved the vibe table numbers on the units it was installed into.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

How thick is one "gap" ?

It comes in various thicknesses, and probably doesn't care what you call it.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

DecadentL>

corpor

It was a Crocodile Dundee joke, stoopid.

No shit, Sherlock.

It is an inanimate object, Nit-Pik Johnny.

Yeah, John... so do people (come in various thicknesses), and you rate as being pretty thick.

And if you are still wondering... no, that was not a compliment.

Good job of speaking on the tech instead of your lame little nit piks that go nowhere. You are worse than that Alaskan governor twit.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Of course not, whoever you are.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Am 26.02.19 um 01:33 schrieb John Larkin:

Just found this in my inbox. I have not seen it yet.

<

Cheers, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Oh, Gawwd, another password-required website, to see commercial ad-type literature, sheesh!

Bypass that, go straight to the company, fujipoly:

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill