GaN test fixture

I just built this fixture to test our tiny panelized GaN fet baby boards. The black block is delrin, and the white base is Corian.

The board has four test points, which are just big plated-through pads. The fixture has four spring pogo pins. One sits the board on the pins, pushes down with one's left thumb, and turns on/off the power supply briefly with the remaining hand. If the pulse on a scope looks right, it passes.

This is rev B of the baby board, and we got 100% yield on a whole panel. Rev A was more like 5%.

Corian is wonderful stuff for test fixtures. It machines beautifully and is super heat resistant.

Of course, I have more holes in my fingers than I used to. Gotta make a foam guard thing for those pogos.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Nice, what are those clip standoffs. I've only got floating ones.

Ouch, don't step on that.

Well some things you have to bleed on, and then they work OK. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Where the alligator clips are clipped? 2-56 screws.

Sacrifice to the electron god.

lunatic fringe electronics

looks like a lawyer trap, a bit like a mouse trap but larger & the settlement much more expensive. Put some taller non-sharp things around the sharp ones and you may have an easier life.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On a sunny day (Tue, 19 Jun 2018 17:11:19 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

It needs a warning sign: 'Do not sit on this, do not fall asleep using this'

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

It's about as dangerous as a plastic fork. And I don't plan to sue myself.

When I was a kid, I did step barefoot on an upside-down IC. Luckily, it was just a DIP14.

lunatic fringe electronics

And

DANGER! 5 VOLTS!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

it could seriously damage someone's eye if the slipped & fell on it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

And, I'm sure, 'This product contains sharp points known to the State of California to causes skin irritation, puncture wounds, birth defects or other reproductive harm.' Move to Nevada, you will be much safer there. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

YEAH! I was just thinking those pogo pins looked AWFULLY sharp!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

The nice thing about pogo pins is that they are spring-loaded - whence the name.

If you push on them, they are more likely to sink back into their housing than they are to sink into you. You can damage yourself if you push them down to the end of their travel, but few people are silly enough to do that. John Larkin may be one of them.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On a sunny day (Wed, 20 Jun 2018 10:08:48 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Yes 5V at some kA can be very dangerous, spit molten metal everywhere if accidently shorted.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

those are pogo pins. if they don't piece your skin at ~1N force you're safe. TO3 is more danderous.

--
     ?
Reply to

I could round off the ends a little and they'd still nestle into the test points. But that would wreck the plating at the very tip.

There are round-end pogos, but we don't have any, and those pointy ones are epoxied in anyhow.

A little blood is no big deal.

Smaller crown-end pogos can be had for pennies each on ebay. I have a pound or so of them. Probably left over from bed-of-nails test fixtures.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I could round off the ends a little and they'd still nestle into the test points. But that would wreck the plating at the very tip.

There are round-end pogos, but we don't have any, and those pointy ones are epoxied in anyhow.

A little blood is no big deal.

Smaller crown-end pogos can be had for pennies each on ebay. I have a pound or so of them. Probably left over from bed-of-nails test fixtures. ================================================

Pick up a tiny blob of epoxy on the end of a toothpick and then touch that to a sharp point. Put's a little cover over the sharp end but doesn't hurt the plating, and if you don't like it I bet it will scrape right off with your fingernail (course, your test boards might also scrape them off but you can experiment with size and coverage).

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

That is not funny. Some IEC standards were carelessly edited, where an OR was put in place of an AND (current exceeds 2mA OR voltage exceeds

34V on some human body model that has 2k Ohms of DC resistance), so I did have long arguments with a test house about 5V being "hazardous live" and had to change my design in the end to get it approved.

It was tempting to post them a 9V battery, to put the fear of death into them, but the test house was just reading the words of the standard and following it without any deeper thought.

For future products I was going to start running my logic from +/-2.5V instead of 5V. That is "safe" because 2.5V/2kOhms < 2mA.

Eventually they did fix that problem in the standards but there are probably new stupidities instead now.

Reply to
Chris Jones

"Not to be taken internally"

Nevada isn't immune to Prop 65 warnings.

Reply to
krw