fun project for you ham typer-oos

An display that you mount inside your house somewhere which wirelessly shows you how much electricity and/or gas you are using real-time.

Electric meters have the spinning disk with black mark, make an opto detector that reads it, then send out a radio pulse every time it goes by. The receiver picks up the pulse, and with the help of an MCU and LCD display calculates the power being used according to the simple power meter formula (wikipedia electrical meter) and shows you real time how much you are using. Connect it to your computer and plot the hour by hour trend! Updates every time the disk spinds around (about every 10s to 2mins depending on your power usage)

Gas meters have the same dials, but no spinning disk. use an optodetector to watch the half-foot dial which is the most sensitive, then do the same thing as above.

SOOOOO....how to send a radio pulse simply that can be received simply.....

Somebodys already done this huh...if so where is the info! Time to save money! Or race your neighbor and see if you can use more electricity than them! Make the street lights dim!

Reply to
acannell

I saw such a product announced in a web article a couple months back...can't recall who dunnit though. Wireless gadget goes in the junction box, transmits to receiver in house. About $100.

Sensor was clamp-on on the mains input, IIRC.

I did the wireless part of a similar thing for utilities about decade ago. They made two or three million I know of, and probably a lot more since.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

I have to leave everything running here...To stay warm! Lights are all on.. Computer is running all the time. I do lots of oven cooking.. And it's still fkn 20C... I gotta move into a place with better insulation . :(

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Neat but all these things so far require installation of some kind of meter onto the mains, which requires an electrician and cost etc..

How to read the mechanical reader some other way....?

Reply to
acannell

Do you live somewhere the mains do NOT already have metering?

Reply to
Richard Crowley

The non-RF part of the unit I mentioned from wayyy back optically read the stripe on the standard electro-mechanical meter.

That took modifying the meter though. The clamp-on version seems simpler.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

I don't see why clamping a current sensor around a mains wire would require an electrician.

Point a webcam at the meter and do the rest in software.

Reply to
Nobody

Only a problem if you can't get access the the single wires without violating some electrical code.

Reply to
spamme9

Sounds like one of those "I'm gonna do it because I can" projects. Your power company sends you an averaged reading every month. A stopwatch and a flashlight will give you a reading averaged over a shorter period. A few hours of research will tell you where the power is going. From then on, it's just a matter of turning off what you're not using. That decision doesn't require ANY readout.

Reply to
spamme9

I was just about to say I had seen this advertised on foxtel about 2 days ago. IIRC some energy company would fit one for AUD150 plus some compact fluro's and a showerhead..

Reply to
The Real Andy

But no chips or bacon?! What a rip-off! ;-)

--
Michael
Reply to