frequency synthesizer

Hello,

I was reading about frequency synthesizers and it seems I am missing some concept.

These synthesizers can generate higher frequency. On the specification sheets, I read that we can divide the reference frequency by certain factors. My question is: If we are dividing the frequency, why are we getting much higher frequencies at the output?

Reply to
Lost'n Found

You can find out amazing amounts of stuff doing web searches, like on "frequency synthesizer theory".

B:

You can only get frequencies out that are multiples of the reference frequency going to the phase detector (unless you're using a fractional N synthesizer -- You can find out amazing amounts of stuff doing web searches). It's easier to make a good clock source from a crystal, so if you want to have a synthesizer work in 5kHz steps you'll want to generate a clock at (say) 5MHz, divide it by 1000, then synthesize a frequency from that in 5kHz steps.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

This might be helpful:

That's just one of "about 381,000 for 'frequency synthesizer'" at

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Because we divide down and then multiply up. A common reason for doing so is to reduce the step size / comparison frequency.

Reply to
Andrew Holme