free energy!

I have a 2N2222 in a Spice simulation that is dissipating -260 microwatts!

lunatic fringe electronics

You can get a lot more than that out of many opamp models.

Reply to
krw

You had me scratching my head for a moment there. I thought the minus sign was a hyphen, a pause for effect. What's so special

mean 260W and made a typo. Just got up and I guess the old grey cells haven't all switched on yet.

Reply to
Pimpom

You can get a negative number by bungling signs of voltage and current.

And whether you use the ALT and CTRL key approaches .

I don't know if LTspice supports W(device-name) or not?? ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Nope. Yet another flaw in non-standard-following LTspice, no W() function in the plot pane.

But you gets what you pays for >:-} ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

I'm running at 200 ps time steps to keep the sim time down, so the current and voltage spikes are quantized in fairly coarse chunks.

Any simulator will have that tradeoff.

lunatic fringe electronics

Wrong! 200ps Time Steps setting in real simulators is the MAXIMUM time step allowed.

(And where did you get the idea that approach "keep(s) the sim time down"?)

And that doesn't "cover" for lack of W() function.

Send me your circuit and I'll show you.

But you gets what you pays for >:-}

(I can even do "hot electrons in gates" checks in PSpice... very important when you're "hauling ass" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Well, the menu says MAX TIME STEP. I knew that. Allowing bigger or unconstrained steps visually degrades simulation accuracy.

Because setting the max time step lower slows it down. It's about inverse, so my max time step is probably the actual time step. I need

10 us of simulation to let everything settle.

LT Spice generates the equation for a device's power dissipation, and graphs it, and integrates it... so I don't have to. Given that I'm dealing with tens of amps switched in under 1 ns, I wouldn't entirely trust any simulation.

You wish! This one could be worth a lot.

I simulate parts on boards, not IC internals. LT Spice is a great tool for that, with a reasonable amount of skepticism and occasional experimental confirmation of the tricky parts.

And it's more fun than droning on eternally about politics.

Gotta go to Safeway; we're on the brink of starvation.

The weather is beautiful, as it is between winter storms. We can see the snow on the east bay hills from here.

lunatic fringe electronics

[snip]

Indeed.

"Integrates"? And got a negative number? Integrating gives you average power, not instantaneous.

Try setting Solver=Alternate if you want accuracy... might take a few minutes of your time.

[snip]

"Going to Safeway" is always the bloviating dodge >:-}

...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

it does have diodes, a cosmic energy detector and extractor.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Sounds like you 2 are looking for different things. Mr. Larkin gets what he needs. I also use LTSpice, because I'm a cheapskate. For my limited designing time it's sufficient so far. Well nearly, I wish it did some things, but afaik no sim does them.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Sounds like you 2 are looking for different things. Mr. Larkin gets what he needs. I also use LTSpice, because I'm a cheapskate. For my limited designing time it's sufficient so far. Well nearly, I wish it did some things, but afaik no sim does them.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Given around an amp sloshing in and out of the transistor capacitance in a ns or so, and 200 ps time steps, I can imagine the integration not being perfect. But the sim is good enough to tell me that I'm not going to fry the transistor.

It's something that real people need to do, lacking a servant to do it for us.

It wasn't bad for a Sunday afternoon. Parking good, well stocked, short checkout lines. A few of the Safeway brand things are good: frozen Belgian waffles, donuts, bagels, cheesecake, fried chicken. Their bread looks nice but is awful.

I had some visitors from Russia once and took them to Safeway. They were astounded at the (in those days) free bags, and that I could pay with plastic and get cash back.

You're just a nasty old git. Probably insecurity makes you need to trash other people.

lunatic fringe electronics

I've paid for three circuit simulators and wrote some of my own. I'd pay for LT Spice, because it's by far the best, but it's free. And it's better supported than anything else I've used.

I want a simulator with component value sliders and 1000x the compute power that I have now, like turning trimpots and looking at an oscilloscope.

lunatic fringe electronics
[snip]

Yep. I look for accuracy. If Mr. Larkin were to "engage" Solver=Alternate he should get accurate, non-negative power dissipation.

Some sims do them all ;-)

But I'm designing microchips where I need to know precise power peaks and hot-electron situations... otherwise my designs may ultimately fail.

Mr. Larkin could do us all a favor and not post frivolous (and incorrect) posts like "free energy".

What's the point? More fake news ?>:-}

Mr. Larkin _could_ validate/invalidate his "measurement" by inserting current measuring devices and computing instantaneous power himself... then comparing it to the ALT/CTRL values. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

We've taken to using our local Fry's (a Kroger subsidiary) for packaged/brand-name goods...

They have this deal called "ClickList" where my wife goes on their website and makes up her order, then we drive up and they load the trunk... works great... some young kid gets to cope with loading the

40# bags of softener salt, etc ;-)

We don't much care for the quality of Fry's produce, fish and meat, so we go to Safeway for those items... saves us a lot of time.

Naaaah! I'm a teddy bear who's just a stickler for accuracy and details... I've don't have the luxury of using "blue-wire" patches on my chips like you can with PCB's.

Ask anyone who's met me/worked with me.

Now, if you're an idiot, you'll likely be in trouble ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

The same Fry's that used to be a computer and electronic parts place? They had everything a geek needs: computer stuff, girlie magazines, junk food.

We have a pretty symmetric division of labor, cooking and shopping and earning money. I do the heavy/dirty stuff, and she does the finer things, but otherwise pretty even. Safeway is two minutes away by car, or a 20 minute hike through the canyon.

Safeway isn't noted for quality meat or seafood, so Fry's must be really bad. We have a couple of small places for serious meat at serious prices.

I use red wires, for maximum embarassment, like The Scarlet Letter.

No ion beam repairs?

I yam what I yam and don't worry about status. My electronics works.

lunatic fringe electronics

Mr Thompson could stop reposting bad political blather.

I don't think that my typed equation would be any different from the one LT Spice generates. The problem is probably time quantization producing small residual errors. I could fix that with tiny time steps and long, long runs. An hour of simulation will no doubt balance better.

The end of a sim necessarily chops off some part of my pulse train. It's a windowing problem. A capacitor can absorb or deliver power in the short term, and any finite simulation is by definition short term. Just as a chopped sine wave can have an average DC content.

lunatic fringe electronics

Still is and I thought the same but apparently JT's talking about Fry's Food.

Still does (Fry's Electronics).

My wife is retired, so she gets that work. I'm restricted to lifting no more than 10 lbs, so she gets to take out the garbage too. ;-)

This sort of thing varies quite a bit from region to region.

Reply to
krw

Fry's Foods _was_ a part of the Fry's family of companies.

I'm guessing they sold off the food operations to Kroger.

And specific neighborhood. Our Safeway's meat quality is right up there with AJ's, but about 15 miles closer. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.