FPGA/DSP system design problem

Dear All:

I am thinking about my system, the picture is here:

I want to transfer the raw/processed image sensor data to USB 2.0 or dpram.

Two choices:

  1. ADC -> DSP, this means parallel ADC, then DSP processed data ->

USB, FPGA works as a coprocessor, use FPGA's DSP (difficult), FPGA-

DPRAM
  1. ADC -> FPGA, this means serial ADC or whatever, then FPGADSP processed data, data feedbacked from DSP to FPGA -> USB, DSP works as a coprocessor. In choice 2, the USB could also connect from DSP but this will accelerate processed data transfer, decelerate the raw data transfer.

Other questions:

I also need to store raw data, thus the data saving path will be different: Choice 1: the raw data will be from ADC -> DSP -> FLASH Choice 2: the raw data will be from ADC -> FPGA -> FLASH (Is Flash good for fast data saving, or use EEPROM instead?)

It will meet the same question when I save processed data on board.

The last question is FIFO vs. DPRAM, FIFO could be implemented in FPGA, could DPRAM be implemented in FPGA? the DPRAM has more flexibility for sure.

Thanks!

Reply to
bigcaboy

If the image data is going on a PC anyway why not just use a USB camera and and do it in software on the PC.

Bob

Bob

Reply to
<castlebravo242

Seriously. You can't get even get close to what a commodity PC offers you in computing power in an FPGA, for the money.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

.

and

this is a CCD linear array detector with very fine resolution. This system will do in real time very fast (sub milisecond).

Reply to
bigcaboy

nd

because I want to run in standalone in the future. I also need to process real time data on board like deconvolution, dft.

Reply to
bigcaboy

On a sunny day (Wed, 13 May 2009 17:39:23 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

comp.arch.fpga There are people there that have done things like that.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Is your data rate extremely low then? Just wondering since you consider EEPROM for storage of raw data and those go to maybe a few megabits per device?

Just curious since I was involved in a CCD video camera design last year and one of the major parts of the design was a flash storage device that could store raw video fast enough. As in, 1920x1080, 12 bpp, 60 fps. Somewhat faster than an SSD drive, for example. Let alone USB...

Reply to
Anssi Saari