For audophiles

Needed a bit stable headphone amp for my Sennheiser HD201. Lots of long audio cables from various sources with varying impedances around in the house..

OK, maybe LM380 (yes old days) or LM386, make a peeseebee, potmeter, connectors, housing $+$+$+$ plus local shipment > 5 Euro (> 5 USD)...

mm ebay? Sure!

9 $ and free shipping, cannot buy the parts for that (only 1 LM3.. in junkbox).

So it arrived, I build it (values are marked on peeseebee), and it works, even on 9 V!

But all the time I was wondering about the schematic:

mm an opamp output connected to a + input????

Looked up the chip datasheet, sure enough + and - input reversed in the schematic!

So audio-philes, there you are :-)

Had not build a kit in many years, this was fun.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

yup

Some 1-2.2k resistors pulled down from the op amp outputs to -Vcc would keep the 5532s in class A longer at low volumes.

though say 32 ohm headphones seems like a kinda brutal load even for 2 in parallel. I think their max continual AC is like 10mA? and it's asymmetrical

A "real audiophile" would use LM1368s or suchlike serious overkill

Reply to
bitrex

Sorry I mean LT1368

Reply to
bitrex

Great, all you need now is a pair of 47 Amp headphones to go with it! :-D

Seriously, though - a board from China with its own enclosure! They are really come on these days. ;-)

Cursitor Doom

Audiophools pay big bux for overkill..

Reply to
Robert Baer

------------------------------

** "bit stable" = wot ?
** But very badly.

** Not Found Error

That design is very poor - even with +/-15Vsupplies an NE5532 is not up to the task.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On a sunny day (Sun, 20 Oct 2019 17:48:33 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Kill Allison wrote in :

You need a computah for that.

I guess it all depends on your volume and hearing. I played some music via it for test and it was good enough for me. Even could hear test tones much higher than I thought I could was even looking at weatherfax pictures... The subtle trebble and deep basses in a transparent 4D acoustic picture make for an immersing deep connected warm sound experience, ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 20 Oct 2019 16:54:34 -0400) it happened bitrex wrote in :

Interesting chip.

Yes, for my ears I do not drive the Chinese thing at full volume, so 47 Ohm is OK, the feedback will give a flat range.

Did not hear any distortion, it is less than my piezo tweeters in the high ;-)

I did put a piece of yellow heatshrink over the blue LED..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

-------------------------------------

** How mysterious ...

** Stunned silence ....

** You need a brain that ain't so faulty.

** You guess everything.

Then you post BULLSHIT !!

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It is but I got the number wrong again! I meant LT1364. That's more like it with respect to "audiophile" heh heh

Reply to
bitrex

lucky you avoided the LM386. Sound of those not good.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On a sunny day (Mon, 21 Oct 2019 01:22:08 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Kill Allison wrote in :

Later ... I remembered I had an downed under I{ that could not access my servers at that time those ran at home As sysadm I contacted them on behalf of their customer (who complained to me) and had them check their routing

But as you are such a genius you could do the following in a real Linux computer:

Type host panteltje.com that should show: panteltje.com has address 37.148.205.129

Then type traceroute 37.148.205.129 see where it gets stuck

Then look up the IP where it gets stuck. (ip_to_country) Very likely down under, problem you get when everything is upside down and water flows all over y'r hat.

Then contact your ISP's sys administrator, complain, show them the log you just made and hope they know enough to fix it.

Bit isolated down there I guess without access to EU internet :-)

If you were a bit polite I would do it 4 you, but I leave the chance to you to actually learn something more than insulting.

killfile :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 21 Oct 2019 05:14:56 -0400) it happened bitrex wrote in :

So harmonic distortion

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

er flows all over y'r hat.

That's the best place to kennel Cretin the insult dog. Him and his little buddy further up keep insisting that my own mixer amp

suffers from distortion. They apparently use their ESP to diagnosis it. Anyhow, your jpg shows up just fine for me. My own circuit uses a TEA2025B. It delivers a full bodied exquisite sound even when the volume's turned up to enable me to hear it in the next room.

Thank you, 73,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

er flows all over y'r hat.

That's the best place to kennel Cretin the insult dog. Him and his little buddy further up keep insisting that my own mixer amp

suffers from distortion. They apparently use their ESP to diagnose it. Anyhow, your jpg shows up just fine for me. My own circuit uses a TEA2025B. It delivers a full bodied exquisite sound even when the volume's turned up to enable me to hear it in the next room.

Thank you, 73,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day In a relative way And returned on the previous night.
Reply to
Don Kuenz

They're nice for a lot of tasks like solenoid and servos, driving small brushed DC motors and other applications other than audio. The DIP-8 version LM386N is very rugged and can dissipate a fair amount of power (a small copper heat sink thermal epoxied to the top helps.) It can drive a 30mm brushed DC motor like in an RC car.

Reply to
bitrex

er flows all over y'r hat.

That's the best place to kennel Cretin the insult dog. Him and his little buddy further up keep insisting that my own mixer amp

suffers from distortion. They apparently use their ESP to diagnose it. Anyhow, your jpg shows up just fine for me. My own circuit uses a TEA2025B. It delivers a full bodied exquisite sound even when the volume's turned up to enable me to hear it in the next room.

Thank you, 73,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day In a relative way And returned on the previous night.
Reply to
Don Kuenz

I think it's the world's most popular audio power amp IC. (Maybe the one with the most distortion too.)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On a sunny day (Mon, 21 Oct 2019 21:42:44 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Did some more tests with the Chinese thing last night. I think the damping on my headphones is not so good, that results in some suspicious 's' sounds in some speech. It is a large headphone that behaves a lot like a dynamic speaker...

So, maybe I will add a LM380 or LM386 to compare, and see if I can get any of the chips bitrex mentioned. Space enough in that plastic housing. I have to keep resisting buying a couple of Quad electrostats on ebay for a thousand or so.. I really like those speakers (were also used as monitor in the studio sound control room), They had, in their amps an interesting feed forward (IIRC) distortion compensation. Build a circuit like that once for about 100 kHz for an inductive loop system.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The 386 has a very characteristic sound. I don't know what type of distortion causes it - I wonder if it might be slew rate limitation, but don't know.

exceptionally nice speakers.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr