Flying electric bicycle

Soon, everyone will have a flying bicycle.

-- Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com

150 Felker St #D
Santa Cruz CA 95060
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I much prefer this concept:

A LOT MORE detail is included there about how to do it, as well. Specific motors at:

for example.

I'm much more attracted to that idea.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

On a sunny day (Mon, 17 Jun 2013 01:01:00 -0700) it happened Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

This is cool, just jump a traffic light, or a canal or river. Does not matter if the flying only lasts for some minutes for any of that. I want one :-)

Park on roof?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 17 Jun 2013 10:03:00 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

Seen that movie The fifth element? Pizza delivery to your 9th floor window?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Been done

and didn't need batteries, though it did need a competition level cyclist.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Something smaller and lighter might be more useful. As it was demonstrated, it weights about 95 kg (without the rider), which makes everything more difficult compared to a common 10 kg bicycle. With work, it has possibilities.

It's not really a new idea:

This one is name Velocopter, which suggests a bicycle, but is not:

There's also some current work being done on a human powered helicopter:

Maybe. I can see plenty of places where a bicycle hovercraft would be useful. However, I can also see many usability problems. For example, I would not want to ride next to one of these as it will kick up quite a bit of dirt and debris on takeoff.

Me too. I'm thinking the rotors should fold parallel to the bicycle when not in use. Linking the common bicycle controls to the electric motor controls will require some imagination. Crashing carbon fiber tends to break things. I'm not thrilled about being that close and in the plane of 6 rotating meat cleavers. I would want a safety cage.

I don't think it has sufficient power. Maybe a personal helicopter would be more useful: (2:06 min)

Also, I accidentally posted this to the wrong newsgroup. It should have gone to rec.bicycles.tech. Sorry about the off topic posting.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Future headline:

Drunk bicyclist flies through 43. floor window.

;-)

/Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

It didn't even have a real driver - it was remotely RC controlled. To actually work it has to be able to lift an extra 70-80kg

Reply to
David Eather

All but SkyBuck whats his name

Reply to
Robert Baer

As an aged hippy would say, "cool, man".

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Tue, 18 Jun 2013 08:22:20 +1000) it happened "David Eather" wrote in :

I would buy one with a more powerful combustion engine too :-) I have a little scooter (great in this weather, took it out for a long ride last week), that weights almost 100 kg or so by itself.

4 stroke engine...

Now about those propellers :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 17 Jun 2013 08:22:24 -0700) it happened Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

hehe

I like that bike thing from youtube, indeed if you could fold the big propellors you could just take it to the road, maybe even as it is, bit of a width limitation.

That really could be a _head_chopper...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That guy has completed something, years ago, that was important. The Ultraflight Lazair.

I had spent a lot of time studying old NACA (pre-NASA days) airfoil designs and their wind tunnel data in the late

1970's. Never did anything with it. But I learned a little. Ultralights were very attractive to me.

I was flying mostly a Cessna 150 and Piper Cherokee and (for a few hours anyway) a Piper Comanche (twin.) But I really did all that because I just loved being able to "gawk" from the air. It was wonderful. It wasn't about getting anywhere. Just looking around and the feelings I'd get. So an ultralight would have been a great fit for me.

I considered buying the Pong Dragon (a 35 lb, 65 hp, 6 cylinder arranged as a pair of 3-cylinder radials made up at Arlington Ultralight Airpark at the time for about $2500 -- made-upon-order... not sure if they could have built one if I'd paid for it, though.)

Then I had my first kid. And that terminated the ultralight idea. If something happened to me and it didn't kill me, my wife would most certainly kill me, after.

Luckily, today.... well... maybe the door is a little bit open now. So the idea is back in. And I have more resources now. And things are cheaper, anyway. So...

I think about it a little bit.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Well, my memory is bad. I plead a "lot of years ago" as my defense.

Here is a link:

It was 35 hp, not 35 lbs. And it weighed around 35-40 lbs. I recall from a separate article I have in a pile somewhere that each of the 6 cylinders had individual carburators that needed to be tuned.

Anyway, there's a picture from 1984 and a short article about it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan