Fluffy fans probably more quiet.

Hello,

A few days ago I cleaned the air hole above my furnace. This hole sucks stinky kitchen air out of the kitchen and blows it up into the sky through tubes.

I noticed how this hole started to hum after it was cleaned.

Apperently the fluffyness that was on it, either reduced the airflow, or it simply distorted waves of sound.

So my theory/hypothesis is now basically very simple:

Even surfaces will lead to oscilliation/resonance of sound waves.

The smoother/even a surface is the more sound it will produce.

By adding fluffyness or perhaps other bums/imperfection it will break the oscilliation and perhaps lead to more distortion/barely noticeable sound.

Or perhaps the fluffyness itself is responsible for petting the sound waves.

It's probably as soft as a feather/hairs... it's composition is probably human dust and some oil/benzine burned particles from cars and busses.

Not sure if some special grease must be used for the fluffyness.

But it's worth a shot to apply to fans and see if this will actually make them more quite, or more loud.

I do know if fans get stuff in their shaft that it will produce terribly sounds... but maybe if it's on the blades it actually reduces sound... my expectation would be that it increases sound... but perhaps this is wrong. Or perhaps it depends on the pattern of fluffy.

The fluff looked like little hairs, with air gaps between them... as if it was stroking the air gently ! ;) =D

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Alien8752

Hmmm, the navy would not like hairy props !!

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

{trimmed}

Some fans are made with little grooves at the edges to make them quieter, in imitation of the feathers of bird whose dinner depends on stealth.

--
John
Reply to

I'm sure everything from hair to simulated feather and scale have been tried and is used if it works

probably just didn't clean it properly so no it is out of balance ...

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Gun silencer might be a good application for this idea, too.

Reply to
cameo

I remember doing physics questions about sound wave in a pipe... :)

--
   @~@   Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!

I think this could be used on the wings of birds of prey that need to swoop down silently on their victims... oh, wait! Owls already do that, don't they!

--

Rick
Reply to

If they are significantly quieter than smooth props, they'll like them just fine!

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Better yet: add fluffiness to Congress Critters!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Could it be that the gunk on the fan was just dampening the fan blade vibrational modes? It may not be a "fluids" problem at all.

Reply to
Paul Colby