Flat earthers are crazy

I think everyone can agree *that's* fake news. Surely they're doing it for attention.......right?

Reply to
lonmkusch

There is a scale... roughly ordered like

  1. Flat Earthers
  2. Creationists
  3. Intelligent Design advocates
  4. Climate Change Deniers
  5. Religious people

They all have similar "proofs" of their belief that outsiders can only consider "fake news" or "alternative facts".

Reply to
Rob

I only watched the first few seconds of the video. I noticed how they, very strongly, insist that this is NOT a joke. Your alarm bells should be ringing by then.

I think the flat earth joke was started by intelligent people who, in a satirical way, wanted to illustrate how religion works.

Then, less intelligent people thought it was good fun (perhaps without understanding the underlying message), and joined in.

In turn, some very few properly stupid people took the joke seriously and actually started believing in it. By doing so, they are, unknowingly, but in an almost poetically beautiful way, proving the point that the original joke was trying to make.

As with every other religion, it is extremely difficult to distinguish the true believers from the jokers.

--
RoRo
Reply to

That's right. The "flat earth" theory is so ridiculous that anyone can disprove it today, but still they come up with thousands of those videos with "proof". And, just like the proof that religious people come up with, it is often incorrect to start with. There is another group (which I forgot in my top-5 list): the people who think humans never landed on the moon. That one is even worse in that it directly hurts the tens of thousands of persons that spent 10 years of their lives to make it happen.

Reply to
Rob

e to find out for themselves.

CGI.

you'll be convinced

despite everything proving they are wrong

n't like 'fake news', distrusting science, rejecting established principles , claiming everyone else isn't open minded enough to see the 'truth'.....

RLQyo

for attention.......right?

I don't know about other parts of the world, but there seems to be a lot of people in the US who like to make up their own theories against what is ge nerally established as fact. I think #1, while inane, is mostly harmless. The problem with #2 - #4 is those people try to push it into policy such a s education and energy, which affects more than just them.

Being religious is ok as long as, again, it's not pushed on others. One ca n be religious, have their beliefs, worship as they wish, and not affect ot hers.

Reply to
lonmkusch

I forgot another common one in that list: "The moon landings were FAKE". Probably also goes somewhere near #3. It directly hurts people as well, especially the ones that spent 10 years of their life achieving this, or even more the ones that actually went there.

When watching a random video on astronomy on youtube, there is always a large number of comments from those people. And even from the religious ones, as their book has descriptions of the universe that are not compatible with the reality described by astronomers.

I don't think it is realistically possible to have religion that is only one's own belief and not being pushed on others. It should be a crime to indoctinate minors with religious beliefs, yet our government subsidizes schools based on religious principles.

Reply to
Rob

t of people in the US who like to make up their own theories against what i s generally established as fact. I think #1, while inane, is mostly harmle ss. The problem with #2 - #4 is those people try to push it into policy su ch as education and energy, which affects more than just them.

e can be religious, have their beliefs, worship as they wish, and not affec t others.

Agreed.

I disagree. I'm religious, meaning I believe in God, believe there's an af terlife, and attend church once in awhile. But I'm not in favor of abortio n bans or gay marriage bans because I feel each person should have that fre edom. And as for that intelligent design crap, that's just religious zealot s trying to dumb down the education system. Evolution and Creation are com patible with each other. Who's to say a higher power didn't guide evolutio n; what's important to everyone is to understand the science behind these e vents/processes. But they don't seem to understand that.

In the US the goal seems to be to drive reason and logic out. It's at the point now that one's opinion on topics like global warming are associated w ith their political party. It's sad. And I know I might catch flack for t his, but generally it's Republicans that are against things like that, and I it's part of their party identity.

Reply to
lonmkusch

I concur, the flat Earth theory is a joke. Every sane person knows that the Earth is a sphere, but we live *inside* it, not on the surface. The proof is straightforward end excercised every single day: the shoes wear out mostly in their front and rear parts. Were it the outside, they would be worn out mostly in the middle of the sole.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Smirk {>:-}

If the Earth weren't flat, how could we survey just using a transit? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

ly

lot of people in the US who like to make up their own theories against what is generally established as fact. I think #1, while inane, is mostly harm less. The problem with #2 - #4 is those people try to push it into policy such as education and energy, which affects more than just them.

One can be religious, have their beliefs, worship as they wish, and not aff ect others.

.

rs

ous

afterlife, and attend church once in awhile. But I'm not in favor of abort ion bans or gay marriage bans because I feel each person should have that f reedom. And as for that intelligent design crap, that's just religious zeal ots trying to dumb down the education system. Evolution and Creation are c ompatible with each other. Who's to say a higher power didn't guide evolut ion; what's important to everyone is to understand the science behind these events/processes. But they don't seem to understand that.

e point now that one's opinion on topics like global warming are associated with their political party. It's sad. And I know I might catch flack for this, but generally it's Republicans that are against things like that, an d I it's part of their party identity.

You aren't the first to make that observation.

Chris C. Mooney got it published in 2005, and it was - not unexpectedly - a imed at the George W. Bush administration, but Trump is worse, if anything .

Conservative groups don't want anything to change, and they naturally resis t any development that suggests that their long-established view of the wor ld needs changing.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The trouble is today's societies don't have it all right, so now & then these odd people turn out to be right. I don't think that includes the flat earthers though :)

It's easy to say everything we believe is true, but it's a bit too naive really.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Gravity curves light, of course!

Reply to
krw

To me that is similar to the others I listed, it is just a different value on the scale. I think that it is unreasonable to assume there is a concious "after life" when there is no observable "before life". To me, "after life" is the remembrance of people in the minds of others who live after them, not something the person him/herself experiences. So, it is worthwile to spend your life well and do good things, as that will potentially improve your remembrance, but it is a waste of time to worship some higher entity that would decide on how after life would be.

Like you I think that religious people should have the freedom to think what they want, but not affect others who do not have the same beliefs, by limiting what they are allowed or even are supposed to do or don't do. Unfortunately it is not very realistic because those religious people are so outspoken and tend to put their influence very much outside their own circles.

Reply to
Rob

Yes, but I'm going to choose the more likely answer based on evidence rather than choosing the one I want to believe because one is politically or religiously preferred.

Reply to
lonmkusch

lot of people in the US who like to make up their own theories against what is generally established as fact.

these odd people turn out to be right. I don't think that includes the fla t earthers though :)

e really.

her than choosing the one I want to believe because one is politically or r eligiously preferred.

I would hope so. The problem is people mostly don't have the relevant data. It's only when you're heavily involved in the relevant field that you star t to see what's really going on. Everyone else sees the facade, and the 2 d on't always match. So people think they're deciding on the evidence when so metimes they're deciding on something else & lack of relevant evidence.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

only

a lot of people in the US who like to make up their own theories against wh at is generally established as fact. I think #1, while inane, is mostly ha rmless. The problem with #2 - #4 is those people try to push it into polic y such as education and energy, which affects more than just them.

One can be religious, have their beliefs, worship as they wish, and not a ffect others.

E".

ears

gious

ent

[...]

This is why we need to do away with the popular vote.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Do you think there is anyone on the earth who has reason to believe the earth is flat instead of roughly spherical, based on lack of relevant data? The whole idea that all published evidence to the contrary is part of a giant conspiracy that started very long ago and every country and every person interested in science is cooperating into a conspiracy against the group of flat earthers is simply ridiculous.

Similar for the moon landing hoax. The group of people who know better is smaller, but still very very large. And now that it is nearly 50 years ago, it is unthinkable that it would still be covered up.

Reply to
Rob
[snip]
[snip]

Only un-traveled Europeons make such claims. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Are you saying I live in Europe? That's simply false. I've never been there.

Reply to
lonmkusch

There is actually a religion like that. You could not become a buddhist even if you wanted to. You are, however, welcome to come to a buddhist temple and pray to your own deity.

In some countries it is a crime to try to impose your beliefs onto anyone. The big problem is, of course, what to do with parents and their own children. Should the law punish parents who indoctrinate their own children?

--
RoRo
Reply to