Flash website - end of an era

Over 10 years ago I started a website (

which I b uilt interactive flash programs to teach various engineering concepts. I In itially designed these programs to personally understand DSP and then to pa ss along what I learned to others****. These topics were fourier series, di screte fourier series, fourier transforms filtering I/Q modulation and also some RF stuff most notably the smith chart.

I produced content aggressively for about three years (2008-2011). At the websites height I received about 2 emails per week and had about 3G of down loads per day. My site also produced great returns for web searches (typica lly #1,2 or 3) on the topics I covered. Many professors linked to my pages . In about 2012 I got burned out on this but kept the content up. The sit e peaked in about 2013 or 2014 and then has had a slow decline in popularit y and hits. I still get traffic , but it is way down. I get an occasional letter but it is very occasional.

At the end of this year most browsers will be disabling flash and I will be sun setting my website.

Was it worth it? I received No money for it ever. I learned a ton about t he topics for myself and I got over one hundred letters thanking me for hel ping them understand various topics.

Life moves on.

***** I had always considered myself an RF/radio engineer. About 15 years ago I was really becoming uncomfortable because it was becoming clear that the future of radio was DSP and how could I call myself a radio engineer if I did not really know DSP. From there I embarked on the loooong journey to try to really understand the fundamentals of DSP.
Reply to
blocher

In message , snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com writes

Interesting site.

Brian

--
Brian Howie
Reply to

Maybe get in touch with Jason Scott at Internet Archive (@textfiles on Twitter) and see if he?d assist in preserving your work. I?m 100% positive he would be interested, or at least would be able to point you at somebody who is already running a project to preserve Flash content. Don?t let it simply fade away!

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur

will be sun setting my website.> Life moves on.

Publish the source code, with a copyright requesting acknowledgment for derived works. If your code is readable, someone will pick it up and make modern versions (using SVG, etc). Who knows, I might even do some myself. My impedance nomograph seems to have been widely appreciated here, even though no-one *ever* has pressed the Donate button :)

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

If you permitted others to copy it with suitable attribution it could get spread widely.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 2:34:00 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrot e:

built interactive flash programs to teach various engineering concepts. I Initially designed these programs to personally understand DSP and then to pass along what I learned to others****. These topics were fourier series, discrete fourier series, fourier transforms filtering I/Q modulation and al so some RF stuff most notably the smith chart.

e websites height I received about 2 emails per week and had about 3G of do wnloads per day. My site also produced great returns for web searches (typi cally #1,2 or 3) on the topics I covered. Many professors linked to my pag es. In about 2012 I got burned out on this but kept the content up. The s ite peaked in about 2013 or 2014 and then has had a slow decline in popular ity and hits. I still get traffic , but it is way down. I get an occasion al letter but it is very occasional.

be sun setting my website.

the topics for myself and I got over one hundred letters thanking me for h elping them understand various topics.

Maybe I am showing my ignorance about Flash. The one thing I do know is th at I've always hated it.

Why can't you do this in HTML5? Whatever tool you used for the Flash does that also support HTML5? If so, there is likely a mode to convert your cod e. Even if there isn't, it is likely there is a conversion program out the re somewhere.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

For donations the only thing I found that worked at all was asking for a wee bit of peanut brittle if the content helped. I did get a few bags mailed from the US and Canada!

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

If you're referring to my nomograph, they already do that. It's all in one page that you can save and run from your local storage. Why would someone want to host it again elsewhere?

It's a shame that the OP has not responded either to my post here or to private email. I hate to see useful tools get lost like this.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

ch I built interactive flash programs...[snip] > At the end of this year mo st browsers will be disabling flash and I

et spread widely.

I have been hesitating to respond because I am not sure what I want to do. I am not really adverse to making the code public. Someone may be able to use it. The way flash works is that you have a graphical environment with picture objects and then the actionscipt code is written around the object . All the math is in the code, but it may be difficult to understand the c ode without the graphical canvas that is part of the "source code". I supp ose you could figure it out if you were running the flash program and looki ng at the action script code.

Reply to
blocher

ote:

I built interactive flash programs to teach various engineering concepts. I Initially designed these programs to personally understand DSP and then t o pass along what I learned to others****. These topics were fourier series , discrete fourier series, fourier transforms filtering I/Q modulation and also some RF stuff most notably the smith chart.

the websites height I received about 2 emails per week and had about 3G of downloads per day. My site also produced great returns for web searches (ty pically #1,2 or 3) on the topics I covered. Many professors linked to my p ages. In about 2012 I got burned out on this but kept the content up. The site peaked in about 2013 or 2014 and then has had a slow decline in popul arity and hits. I still get traffic , but it is way down. I get an occasi onal letter but it is very occasional.

l be sun setting my website.

ut the topics for myself and I got over one hundred letters thanking me for helping them understand various topics.

that I've always hated it.

s that also support HTML5? If so, there is likely a mode to convert your c ode. Even if there isn't, it is likely there is a conversion program out t here somewhere.

I have not looked into converting this to HTML. I am not sure I have the i nterest to pursue it at this time. My understanding (through minimal readi ng on this) is that the conversion tools work best on annimations and flash content that is not very interactive. The more interactive the content is (My site is very interactive) then the harder it is to convert. Also, fro m what I have read, the actionscript code need to be manually converted to javascript. Flash wsa a wonderful tool for building interactive content. Unfortunately there were security holes built into the foundations of the p rogram that could not be overcome.

Reply to
blocher

That was you ? Well maybe I will send a few bucks. Enough for a six pack or whatever. I actually have propagated it, as well as the file itself. Yup, I can use it if the internet is down, which is the perfect time, try to dei gn maybe... Not sure what though.

Reply to
jurb6006