First OLED light bulb

First OLED light bulb:

Bit expensive, 220$ ex tax ....

Jan Panteltje

This appears to me to be the lighting panel mentioned in:

80 mm diameter, 25 lumens/watt ("highish halogen lamp" efficiency, in my words), lifespan 5,000 hours in "ideal operating conditions".

Brightness is 1,000 candela per square meter. With area of about .005 square meter, this is about 5 candela. If I am correct in assuming lambertian radiation pattern, this is about 1.6 lumens of light output.

Power input is "less than a watt", meaning less than 25 lumens at 25 lumens/watt. Light output appears to me to be moderate to bright "nightlight range".

Given what semiconductor LEDs are capable of nowadays (40-plus lumens/watt for commercially available units with similar nice-and-warm color temp. and better color rendering index as of early this year, with

10 times the life expectancy), I would not wet my trousers over this or any other OLED just yet.

Don Klipstein

On a sunny day (Sun, 6 Dec 2009 06:58:10 +0000 (UTC)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote in :

Yes, that is probably theone.

Sure, but remember the first LEDs? I am sure lifetime will go up, as will light output. Nice cool and flat makes it possible to use these in many places, cover a ceiling or wall. Larger panels? Give it some years, who knows.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Vielleicht, you will provide translation?

Reply to
JosephKK

ceiling or wall.

OLEDs are too new, and 5000 hours is at least 10x too low given the likely price

--
Dirk

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to