First in Series of Promised "Secret Sauce" Circuit Ideas Has Been Uploaded

First in Series of Promised "Secret Sauce" Circuit Ideas Has Been Uploaded....

Click on the "Secret Sauce" link on my home page. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | "Those [of us] who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" -Edgar Allan Poe

Splendid. Keep it up! For my personal and parochial benefit, starting with stuff that's semi-reasonable at board level would be a win, and in any case a couple of paragraphs to go with each schematic to explain the ideas and tradeoffs would make the dumps a lot more useful.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Not likely to be more than one pee-hole in all the snow in my blizzard.

Not going to happen. This is just a "load dump"... analysis required for you to learn... "telling" answers does not teach one how to think.

...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

I'm sorry to hear that. ISTM you're letting your ego get in the way of actually teaching anything, because I expect very few people are going to go spelunking through somebody else's designs where the main IP is workarounds to detailed capabilities of old-timey foundries, for instance. It's not that they might not be very clever, but it's hard to get excited about investing that sort of time and effort with no indication what the payoff might be.

I very much doubt that you would have bothered yourself, BITD.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Get a life, Phil. I haven't used an "old-timey" foundry since the early '80's. My primary foundry right now is X-Fab, one of the pre-eminent leaders in the foundry business.

In spite of my illness I still managed to do two chip designs in

1977... I would usually do 4-5.

You're just expressing what I expected from most of the lurkers here... no abilities at device-level circuit design.

I thought, perhaps delusionally, that someone might want to dissect my circuits, figure out why they work, figure out why certain classic problems disappear.

I guess not... took me only about an hour-and-a-half to determine that :-( ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

OOH! Puzzles!

I'm possibly, eventually, going to understand file #3... but the bipolars have the same emitter currents, so it's not gonna be a bandgap reference, as the term is usually understood. Still, current references are VERY useful (make twenty reference voltages with one current reference and a string of cheap resistors).

Reply to
whit3rd

Someone will, even if it turns out to not be someone here. But the stuff needs to be hosted somewhere that will stay active no matter what.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Some young buck with a "yearning for learning" will dig his way thru it. That's all it will take, someone who actually enjoys circuit design... that's what I've had out of life.

The webs site will stay active for _at_least_ one year... maybe more... $60/year doesn't exactly stress the budget. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

that may well not be long enough.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Publish a book? Even in 2017 I expect hardcopy to have a lot better retention rate than web pages.

Reply to
bitrex

Right number 3 is one I might be able to puzzle through. questions; I assume the fet's with circles on the gates are p-channel. Can you make current mirrors with FETs? I didn't know that.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yes. Also implied by the body-arrow direction (I'm a belt-and-suspenders type of guy :-)

Yes you can. The caution is that MOS devices have considerable "channel-length modulation"... somewhat akin to Early-effect in bipolar devices. Best solved by using "cascoded" devices if you can fit them in... long channels if you can't. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Long enough for archive.org to pick it up:

*/analog-innovations.com Though application/zip types tend not to be archived, tsk tsk.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

Updated today, 2018/01/15 ...Jim Thompson