firewire or USB audio outputs spdif-like code?

What you're asking for is only a couple of components away from a S/PDIF capable sound module. You don't have to get an Mbox or anything elaborate; there are several affordable laptop sound modules with S/PDIF built-in. They are self-powered and scarcely larger than the necessary connectors, so they don't add -much- extra hardware. It's a good chance to get some 1/4" or RCA jacks for your laptop as well.

Reply to
stickyfox

To perform this function you can use a high-performance A-D, such as one of the popular two-channel 24-bit sigma-delta converters, plus a sp/dif digital signal converter. The latter can be an IC that's meant to go with the A-D serial-data output stream. I've designed such a circuit, our project number RIS-574. As an added bonus my circuit works down to DC, is highly linear (5ppm), can sample up to 192 or 200k samples/sec, and operates stand-alone without a microprocessor. The purpose of my design was to obtain a high-accuracy optically-isolated streaming data path that we can connect to a computer's standard sp/dif input. I'll place a copy of my preliminary schematic on a.b.s.e. for your reading pleasure. Comments on the design are invited.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Hi, has anyone ever used firewire (4pin) or USB outputs to emulate spdif signals? I have a digital amplifier that wants to see SPDIF and my laptop (WINxp) has no SPDIF output. (Try to avoid extra hardware like sound card etc) I could imagine someone has written a code that picks up the audio samples and sends them to either of these interfaces (WINXP) Had it first on rec.audio.pro with limited success. (see thread on rec.auio.pro, same title)

Thanks

Tony

Reply to
Tony

You could try TI's PCM2902 usb to spdif, eg

It's not too bad on the analog side, CD quality, and the spdif is

16bit 48K max, and it's a WWF (wall wart free) design

martin

Reply to
martin griffith