FireFox problem

EVERY time, without fail, when a site needs to redirect (eg: bank sites, PayPal, Digikey,etc), a GD bar pops up complaining, sort-of like "we purposely mangled the usefulness of your browser, to force you to tell us whether we should ALLOW the requested redirect. Allow/ignore? Furthermore, we will continue to piss you off".

How can this be fixed?

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Get version 18 and wherever it won't go, don't go or get a different browser and right click and "Save Link Location" and then off to the other browser and "Paste And Go".

And when that no longer works buy a MAC. And when that no longer works go live out in the woods.

I am getting about ready, I shit you not. Next big thing happens and I will not be online anymore. I spent over 30 years of my life without internet, the last very few won't really bother me. I am seriously sick of the shit.

Reply to
jurb6006

Chrome

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar

NEVER happens to me with version 38esr on Linux.

Tools | Options (Edit | Preferences for Linux) Advanced settings on the left, General tab at the top, the Accessibility group of checkboxes has "Warn me when websites try to redirect or reload the page". Maybe if I had that one checked I would be tormented as you are.

Reply to
accountholder

Probably. All you need to do is supply the version number for Firefox and whatever operating system you're using. If they're really old and ancient, I can't help.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Tee Hee. I'm running FF12 on XP. All the extensions work.

Could not be happier.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Con=incidentally, I just today ran into a FF problem which I've nver had before, namely failure to connect for a reason I've never seen before:

FF version 48.0.2, Mac OS X 10.6.8

Anyway:

"Your connection is not secure

"The website tried to negotiate an inadequate level of security.

"english.alarabiya.net uses security technology that is outdated and vulnerable to attack. An attacker could easily reveal information which you thought to be safe. The website administrator will need to fix the server first before you can visit the site.

"Error code: NS_ERROR_NET_INADEQUATE_SECURITY"

I was able to connect using... lynx.

Any suggestions for telling FF that it's ok to make the connection? I couldn't find any obvious answers when duckduckgo'ing...

Thanks muchly

		     dannyb@panix.com
danny burstein

You can analyze the server side using an SSLLabs test.

It will take a few minutes for the test to complete. Rolling the scroll wheel during this time, isn't going to help.

SSL Report: english.alarabiya.net (69.172.201.247)

Protocols TLS 1.3 No [draft version 18] TLS 1.2 Yes TLS 1.1 Yes TLS 1.0 Yes SSL 3 No SSL 2 No

Cipher Suites # TLS 1.2 (suites in server-preferred order) TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (0xc030) ECDH secp256r1 (eq. 3072 bits RSA) FS 256 TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA384 (0xc028) ECDH secp256r1 (eq. 3072 bits RSA) FS 256 TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA (0xc014) ECDH secp256r1 (eq. 3072 bits RSA) FS 256 ... and many more

Within a protocol, a cipher suite is negotiated. It's undesirable for the two sides of a transaction to negotiate a "weak" option. Some are labeled weak in the test results, based on known cryptographic limitations

*******

SSLLabs also has a separate web page which tests your client (FF48 in your case). There are preferences in about:config where you can disable portions of the SSL suite and leave TLS. The client test here, gives an overall view (as seen from the server side), of what crypto options your client offers.

This sample is for one of my web browsers.

Protocols TLS 1.3 No TLS 1.2 Yes TLS 1.1 Yes TLS 1.0 Yes SSL 3 No

Reply to
Paul
[lots of very good stuff snipped.]

thanks

-- _____________________________________________________ Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

Reply to
danny burstein

That's because the installer and auto-updater in Firefox won't let you go past Firefox ESR 52 on Windows XP. You won't get the next ESR release. You're stuck with an old version of Firefox for which there will be no further security updates beyond the ESR 52 version.

*Support for ESR 52 ends August 28, 2018*. That's not long from now: only 5 months more. No updates after that. Even security updates end.

Firefox ESR 52 will not have the patches to circumvent the Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities. Mozilla added those in v57 and they will appear in the *next* ESR version which you can't get on Windows XP. Hopefully Mozilla adds more protection, like Google's public Retpoline they made available for anyone to use.

Most web browsers have locked in at some old version as the last they will install and support on Windows XP.

The vast majority of extensions that died with FF 57 had been long abandoned: they authors' didn't maintain them, they went somewhere else, they died, they didn't care. The number of highly used and *active* legacy extensions was pretty small compared to the total count available at addons.mozilla.org (before the v57 differentiation). Some of the big extensions now have webextension (WE) versions or a WE version is in development. Some have lost many of their teeth due to their features migrating into Firefox (e.g., TabMix Plus). Alas, with Windows XP, you're stuck with an old ESR 52 version of Firefox and can only use the legacy extensions with it.

Reply to
VanguardLH

Ah, vintage software. I'm running Firefox 52.7.2 (32-bit) on XP SP3. I only use a few of the more popular extensions, all of which work. Unfortunately, several extensions had to be dropped because the author did not want to rewrite his extension for Quantum.

Is there anything I can do to change that?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

The site works for me using Firefox 52.7.2 (32-bit) on XP SP3 using either: so it must be something in your browser. Try it using "http" without the SSL security, and see if it works. You should get some kind of warning in the omnibox that the connection is not secure and that passwords can be sniffed. If it does work, then there's a problem with how either how SSL/TLS is configured on your machine. Firefox: Tools -> Page Info -> Security shows that the site is using TLS 1.2 which is old. It should be using TLS 2.0 or 3.0. If you don't mind, I don't want to post information on how to enable TLS 1.2 in your browser.

I'm not sure how to decode this: Network Security Services (NSS), the cryptography library developed by Mozilla and used by its web browser Firefox, enabled TLS 1.3 by default in February 2017.[22] TLS 1.3 was added to Firefox 52.0, which was released in March 2017, but is disabled by default due to compatibility issues for some users.

However if you're still stuck, I suggest you get your news from a better source, such as: More: Incidentally, Pessach (Passover) starts Friday evening.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Oh, to be sure, absolutely. But only is the Rothschilds pay for my subscrition.

But this specific story seemed to be only at the first place.

Seven days or eight?

Thanks as always.

		     dannyb@panix.com
danny burstein

to fix the server first before you can visit the site. "

Thanks for reminding me never to "upgrade". Every browser I have seen has some sort of option like "go there anyway".

You really only get new browsers so you CAN go places the older browsers won't go.

Get am older version I guess.

Reply to
jurb6006

works here(xp pro sp3 FF esr45)

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Do not have or use Linux; could not find controlling line in about:config that altered this behavior. Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

FF ver 52 for XP, FF ver 58 for Win7; forget which one i use for Win2K as it has been ages since i fired that up.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Hmm, don't see you noted that anywhere in your starter post. I'm not psychic or psycho. YOU asked how to "fix" seeing the prompt. Well, if you already knew then why did you ask here?

However, if you configure Firefox to purge site preferences on its exit, you'll lose all of them that you already chose to allow (any any other site preferences per site). Some cleaner tools can also purge site preferences for Firefox; e.g., CCleaner can purge Firefox's site preferences but that option is disabled by default.

How would anyone know? You never divulged that actual prompt message. You never gave an URL to an example page that invokes some type of redirection.

Guess you want to ignore what redirection blocking in Firefox does. Guess that also means you won't realize you will need an extension since the only redirection that Firefox handles is meta-refresh (and, I believe, a location attribute to point to another page). You asked how to disable what *Firefox* manages regarding redirects. So, yep, meta-refresh is very relevant. The option disappeared in the GUI config page and you were told how to disable meta-refresh in about:config.

So just what *is* the value for accessibility.blockautorefresh? In about:config, any setting changed from its default value is shown bolded.

Note: The blockautorefresh settings is meant only as an accessibility option, like for those that use screen readers. It was never intended to be a security option to prevent covertly relocating the user to a different domain. This confusion (by users thinking Firefox would handle all methods of redirection which it does not) is why Mozilla probably removed the GUI config option (but left the about:config setting for the same option). The "reload or redirect" option was badly worded as it misled users into thinking it was a security feature and because users don't know how meta-refresh works (most users aren't into understanding HTML). Also, not allowing meta-refresh will break some sites, like those that allow you to navigate to a deeper web page only if you came from one of their prior web pages and using an interstitial page with meta-refresh to quality you can navigate to the next page.

VanguardLH

I don't think you understand. I'm running version 12. I do not care about updates. I do not care about ESR 52 or v57. I do not care about Spectre and Meltdown. I do not care about any version past version 12.

The reason is the extensions. They give me complete control of the browser. I can togge javascript, page colors, and CSS on and off with buttons along the top line. There's many more functions behind the scene that are extremely helpful.

Mozilla killed these functions in versions past v12. The authors got sick and tired of having to keep up with the changes, and they quit. I simply cannot find the equivalents in later versions.

I do run Firefox v47 on my Win7 installation. There are no suitable extensions for it, and I rarely run it. I have also blocked updates.

I'm very happy with FF12 on XP. I see no need to change. You can have ESR

52, v57, and all the other crap mozilla has produced. They cannot give the same results as FF12 on XP.
Reply to
Steve Wilson

On the contrary, I'm always happy to read your posts. You give an incredible amount of information. I wish I knew how you do it. You have some kind of magic gift no one else has.

Reply to
Steve Wilson