Firefox 4

Easy to install, compatible, seems a bit faster. But the chrome and the colors (or, lack of colors) is really annoying. All the icons (home, reload, stop, tabs) are the same muddy grey, so you have to really look at them to see which to click. And they default to weird locations.

Mine came up with a separate Yahoo search bar (pretty weird) which can be deleted with a little fooling around.

Every rev of every browser seems to push stuff around for its own sake.

John

Echo :-). I downloed 4 this afternoon and agree, slate grey and all the familar buttons at the wrong end of the screen. Have you worked out how to get the tab specific most recent history back ?. Very small tab in near the top left corner that listed all the recent pages with one mouse click. May go back to 3 if I can't sort that out, but am also watching task manager to see if they have finally got rid of all the memory leaks that 3 had. Shouldn't complain though. Still arguably the best browser and still free...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Same here. It takes a bit of getting used to.

I agree with you both. It might be worthwhile for others who have not "upgraded" to wait for the fallout corrections.

John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

View/toolbars/customize lets you fix some of this stuff. I dragged home, reload, and stop over to the left of the url box, and added some separators, so it's not quite so awful.

I have the full toolbar file/edit/view/history/etc visible, somehow, but that's apparently not the default.

I unclicked [view/toolbars/tabs on top] to get it the way I'm used to it. The tabs are all now shades of grey, too.

Why did they make this so ugly? There is apparently an addon that fixes some of this. What a nuisance.

John

Mine didn't lose tabs, just Home, etc, were on wrong end. Right click on tool-bar, click Customize, then drag to your satisfaction.

Lost a FEW cookies, but not all... sorta strange :-(

Also lost my Personal World Clock Settings, but not the Tab itself :-(

My colors didn't really change significantly. (Yahoo is an "unclick" option at install... requires paying attention :-) ...Jim Thompson

I did the same. They also swapped the order of the right click accessed "open in new tab" and "open in new window", PITA to retrain the brain.

Reply to
Dennis

I found it flakier in opening PDFs in a window (using Acrobat). Might be an issue related to my proxy, maybe not. I don't find it more pleasant to use in the default-- but there's a check box for moving the tabs back where they belong.

I don't know why they don't let you close the last tab left with an x in the corner- it's inconsistent.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Help a dummy like me out Sphero, where do I find that check box? Thanks

Reply to
Dennis

Sheesh, under tools, options, there is a "tabs" tab. Lots of checkboxes.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

Sheeesh! :(

I found that one ok, I was under the impression is was possible to swap the tool bar (home / reload / fwd / back buttons) location so it is above the tabs. Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Dennis

Wrong, as always. It's view/toolbars/tabs on top

John

Cheers - fixed my prob.

Reply to
Dennis

You can put them on the left, and put the site string on the right. Maybe make the tabs fall in place from right to left. The eyes just don't want to look "up there" on the left side, for some reason. It is as if we have discounted it being there "that's where the menus are..."

maybe we could cause 4.1 to be released.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

They have to think of _something_ so that all those piles of scriptkiddies that they call "programmers" have something to do to justify their paychecks. And they get away with it, because Aunt Tillie doesn't know any better.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On Mar 30, 8:56=A0pm, Rich Grise wrote: > John Larkin wrote: >

Yep and they'll improve it until it doesn't work.

G=B2

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

I doubt that you know much at all, if anything at all, about Mozilla.

Reply to
MrTallyman

Thank you for your infinite, and oh-so-helpful insight, Mr. Talleywhacker.

Feh.

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hey! You are right and I was wrong. Sorry about that.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

There should be a checkbox in options to keep the interface the same as it was in the last version, something which Microsoft should also learn about.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

The guys that develop for Mozilla are not being paid for it, idiot.

How the f*ck do you justify your paycheck if your grasp of reality is so absent? Consider your Tally whacked.

Reply to
MrTallyman